Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 02:58 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times

Advertisements

Just think about it..... Farmlamd is disappearing at an alarming rate every year. Since it's much more profitable to sell the farm to build houses and businesses. Land is expensive to purchase. Even hunters are having a heck of a time to find private land these days to hunt deer to feed themselves and their family.

With the ever increasing population in the U.S., and rapid decrease of family farms, people need to eat for survival. In 50-100yrs. from now, can you see this happening in the U.S. similar to other countries around the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 03:13 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
One of the most ridiculous oversimplifications to hit this forum in months. The supply of land which could be converted to the production of food remains substantial, and the infrastructure to process, transport, and deliver it has never been stronger. The planet hasn't been troubled by a substantial famine in decades, and that sort of progress is the reason why.

I grew up on a dairy farm, and I have relatives who work within the Pennsylvania Agriculture Department. I can attest that there are plenty of advocacies and plenty of controversies going on out there. and the people who get the most attention from the media aren't always the ones in touch with the biggest threats. (For example, avian (bird) flu could disrupt egg and poultry prices in the near future; that is an event with major ramifications; not that serious. but it affects far more consumers, so it gets more attention, and deservedly).

But sensationalism of the type in the OP is about as reaiistic as palm trees in Alaska; the only reason it draws attention is that it tugs at our emotions -- and sells!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-18-2016 at 04:06 PM..

Old 03-18-2016, 03:48 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Just think about it..... Farmlamd is disappearing at an alarming rate every year. Since it's much more profitable to sell the farm to build houses and businesses. Land is expensive to purchase. Even hunters are having a heck of a time to find private land these days to hunt deer to feed themselves and their family.

With the ever increasing population in the U.S., and rapid decrease of family farms, people need to eat for survival. In 50-100yrs. from now, can you see this happening in the U.S. similar to other countries around the world?
While there are fewer family farms, there are far more factory farms. It doesn't take much land to raise a lot of meat when you stuff chickens in cages smaller than microwaves and stack them twelve feet tall.

No, I don't think eating dogs and cats will ever be commonplace. Unfortunately, I think factory farming can produce as much meat as the US wants to eat.

Within 50-100 years, I expect in vitro meat to be commercially viable, and I hope that no animals will be needed in order to produce meat.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:15 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Uhmmm....no. For one thing it's not in the culture historically to do so. Second, pets are revered and catered to here. Third, meat is not in short supply. Fifth, even the very poorest are not doing so now. Fourth, there is a slow movement toward eating less meat and even vegetarianism.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:48 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
I ate a snack bar made from crickets once.
I'm ok with that. People all over the world eat insects for protein. Speaking for myself, I couldn't eat a dog. Just couldn't. I know people in other countries do, but given the relationships Americans have with our dogs I doubt it'd catch on here. In fact, if anyone ever tried to make raising dogs for food legal here it'd probably be the one thing all Americans would oppose.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:51 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,006 times
No. I don't think Americans would eat horse meat either in the long-term future. The trend may be to eat less meat in general. If there will have been widespread starvation in the future, maybe the situation will have been different. That would be acts of desperation and not preference.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:57 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
No, and it will stay no because when people hear dog and cat, they think cute cuddly PET to love. And no one wants to eat their pet.

Most people don't have pet cows or chickens.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:31 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
First, it's not particularly common anywhere.

Aside from that, why would the cultural taboo on eating pets fall in the United States? That's the question - what would be the reason? None that I can imagine. Furthermore, dogs and cats are carnivores. There's a reason that all of our domesticated food animals - cows, pigs, chickens, etc. - can be raised as herbivores, and that's because such diets are efficient (read: relatively inexpensive). Meat diets are not.

Horses would be commonly eaten in the United States (as they once were) long before dogs and cats. Horses are herbivores, and while they serve as pets their place is more utilitarian than cats certainly and even dogs. Yet consuming them will never likely become common. So with regards to dogs and cats, where the hurdles to such are more formidable than with horses, no - you'll never be seeing braised leg of cocker spaniel or catloaf on a restaurant menu stateside.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:41 PM

509 posts, read 554,901 times
I know a few people that would eat their children before digging their teeth into Fido.

This is America. We have schools, spas, daycares, therapists, parks, cemeteries, and an entire TV network devoted to animals.
We will not eat them.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:52 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
I could see it happening. Probably does occasionally.

People can, and do, eat horses. It isn't illegal. The Feds merely de-funded USDA inspections for commercial horsemeat. Nothing wrong with someone eating horse that they process on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates