Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 07:27 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,607,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I'm not necessarily impressed by education but a lot of the 1% are brilliant people regardless of whether they attended elite schools or not

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
The 1% couldn't survive without the 99% anymore than the plantation owners could have survived without the slaves.
Wow. Amazed at all the posters who are clueless about this.

The way we are headed, people will slowly become unemployable due to lacking any competitive advantage vs automation. Consumer-capitalism will no longer be viable, and we will transition to a semi-feudal system where the serfs, peasants, and slaves will be machines. From the standpoint of the new royalty, people will be like vermin. Consuming resources and polluting, while providing no benefit to themselves.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/econo...verything.html

Old 04-08-2016, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Wow. Amazed at all the posters who are clueless about this.

The way we are headed, people will slowly become unemployable due to lacking any competitive advantage vs automation. Consumer-capitalism will no longer be viable, and we will transition to a semi-feudal system where the serfs, peasants, and slaves will be machines. From the standpoint of the new royalty, people will be like vermin. Consuming resources and polluting, while providing no benefit to themselves.

[url]https://www.city-data.com/forum/economics/2303001-robotics-will-change-everything.html[/url]

The end of the world is coming soon becasue GOD will not his creation fall into what is coming for ever...but if satans workers had their way they would murder 90 percent of the earth...the plan to reduce the worlds population to 500 million from the 7 billion it is ....doont believe me study the georgia guidestones which the lucifer worshiippers ...I mean freemasons, created for their plans of the new world order

Old 04-08-2016, 08:26 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,486,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
Technology in the era of plantantion owners was not nearly as advanced as today; would today's technology allow such an enclave to have enough fully automated functions for an enclave of the very rich to survive?
Sure, the 1% would survive for a while on what the 99% have already produced and stored. But machines and parts wear out. Food supplies and clean water run out. Who will build new machines and maintain the power plants? Who will house, feed and breed the herds and slaughter the animals for food? Who will plant, fertilize and harvest the crops. Who will transport those crops? Someone needs to drive and unload the trucks. Who will clean the public toilets, sweep the streets and collect the garbage?

The 1% will have to divide themselves. Will those on the lowest financial scale be forced to do the labor the 99% once did?

Interesting discussion to ponder.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:59 PM

7,658 posts, read 4,624,293 times
Quote:
For some reason I'm inclined to say that technological advances make it so that the 1% can survive without the need for the lower classes, and that the makeup of the humanity of the future will be largely determined by who is part of the uppermost classes today.

Perhaps I'm wrong, though. Is it:

- Impossible to achieve?
- A technical possibility?
- A technical reality?

The Bible says the poor will always be with us. Doesn't say the same about the rich though Of course, can there be poor without rich?

Old 04-08-2016, 09:04 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,608,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
"It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes."
Love this quote. So much truth.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,113,557 times
Quote:
For some reason I'm inclined to say that technological advances make it so that the 1% can survive without the need for the lower classes, and that the makeup of the humanity of the future will be largely determined by who is part of the uppermost classes today.

- Impossible to achieve?
- A technical reality?
I can't imagine the 1% ever wanting to do this. One of the benefits of privelege is all the personal services one can expect.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,113,557 times
Quote:

- Impossible to achieve?
- A technical reality?
I can't imagine the 1% ever wanting to do this. One of the benefits of privilege is all the personal services one can expect.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:02 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,606,645 times
Quote:

- Impossible to achieve?
- A technical reality?
LOL. As if. I'm sure the English aristocracy didn't recognize their dependence on the masses, either.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I can't imagine the 1% ever wanting to do this. One of the benefits of privelege is all the personal services one can expect.
The greater majority of the population are not personal servants of the mega rich...

If the ruling families added up to 10M people, they could each have 10 personal servants and still get rid of ~99% of the world population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates