Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 01:10 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
All this talk about peeking under the stalls and making old biddies uncomfortable is beside the point. This can still occur just like it could before.
I'm not an old biddy, I'm 27 years old, and I'm uncomfortable with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Of course there will be perverts whether they have a law or not but it just seems to be inviting those perverts to have a field day. I know it is rare but it still happens and I wouldn't want my wife, mother, sister or nieces to be put into a bad situation and there is nothing that can be done about it because in the end it seems there is nothing wrong with a man to be in the ladies restroom.
Exactly. Of course a man could wander into the ladies' room and do creepy, perverted crap with or without laws about it. HOWEVER, the difference is that now, in North Carolina, if you see a man in the ladies' room, you can report it to the police. When it's just "normal" for men to be in the ladies' room, you can't.

I also think it's funny that we have liberals saying "but criminals are going to break laws anyway!" when it comes to this, but it's a whole different tune when it comes to gun rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 01:28 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have seen that proposed and the transgenders do not want that. They want to be accepted for the biological sex that they can NEVER be. NEVER. Bruce Jenner is man with a penis that is dressed as a woman. Biological sex is what bathrooms, public showers, etc. were based on, not how one "feels".

Article on "gender confusion": Prominent M.D.: 'Gender confusion' a fleeting mental disorder

This falls under the same sort of thing as eating disorders, etc. They are unhappy with themselves and try to define the reason. Some years back I heard the "trend" was growing as some that were in reality "gay" and could not deal with that possibility instead turned to "being born in the wrong body", like that would ever be possible.

Since it is a mental health condition of a very few people, I think it should be dealt with at the therapist's office. In Bruce Jenner's case, he is still interested in having sexual relations with women. We also need to think about little girls that use the facilities by themselves and the opportunities this will afford the perverts!

As I have said before, I have an adult son with Down syndrome. I have to plan around being out when it comes to bathroom use. It would be the safest and most convenient for me to take him into the women's restroom with me, but out of respect for other women, I do not take my 30 year old son in the restroom, I plan around it. Yes, it is limiting but such is life. He functions at the pre-school level so I cannot leave him outside the restroom when I am using it. Would my taking him in the men's restroom and standing there be acceptable? I would have no problem doing that. Maybe I should just not give a darn about how what I do effects others? Think about it.

I think this thing with NC is wrong. I am not sure what drives this nonsense.

I follow the "Golden Rule".

Adding that stall doors do not always work. Women are known for adjusting "things" while looking in the mirror after washing their hands. Sometimes, depending on location type, there are no doors on bathrooms and showers, think camping facilities for one.

Very simple, on the door replace the signs "Vaginas" and "Penises". If they aren't sure which they have, they need not to be in public anyway!

While I hate to be disagreeable, Anywhere Else, I'm afraid that you are operating under mistaken assumptions.

In most major city hospitals, we see anywhere from four to six children born annually who have a variety of abnormal genitalia, and, of course, surgery is later required to correct these aberrations. Please note: It is not the child who is aberrant but rather the body they were born with.

Others are born with 'normal' genitalia but their brains (and hearts/spirits) do not belong in the bodies in which they find themselves. We see people who are clearly women but who are encased in a male 'shell,' if you will, and vice versa. Why is it so hard to believe that one may be born with abnormal genitalia but not with an abnormal body/brain 'fit'?

When I was a ten years old, I became aware of what a person 'born with the wrong equipment' has to deal with. There was a 'girl' (Alison) in my class at school who didn't participate in many routine activities that the rest of us did. One summer we attended a boarding-school-type place (a converted mansion) for underprivileged children. (Everyone in our area was considered underprivileged, including Alison.) She, however, did not join us, and I remember asking why. I don't recall the answer I was given precisely, but it had something to do with 'her' not being able to shower with us, which we all knew in any case.

Alison didn't return to our school in the fall, but a couple of years later I bumped in to 'her' in an open-air market, but 'she' wasn't a 'she' anymore, and 'his' name was now Andrew. (NOT his real name, but I'd rather not use that here - just in case.) I went home and told my mother all about the meeting and asked how Alison could have become Andrew. I don't recall precisely what she told me either, only that it didn't satisfy me, so I made use of the public library. It didn't take me long to learn that Andrew's 'problem' wasn't uncommon, and the reasons why it wasn't.

In the many years since, I've learned that many people are simply 'born with the wrong equipment.' I can't comment about Bruce Jenner, as I've no idea who he/she is, but I know for a certainty that sexual orientation and/or gender identity isn't even nearly always in keeping with one's physical structure - be it externally visible or an internal malfunction.

As for who should use which bathroom, who on earth cares?

If we're opting for 'decency' here, may I suggest that the U.S. builds it's public washrooms as Britain does - as private stalls, and the same thing be done in public swimming pool facilities? That would, of course, solve the problem.

There will always be homosexual, lesbian, and transgender people as part of the general population, just as there are 'perverts,' sexual deviants, rapists, murderers, and other degenerates. Transgender people are not 'confused' sexual deviants, or if some are, I'm quite sure the percentage would not differ from the rest of society.

By the way, I could name you several 'prominent MD's' who shouldn't be permitted to go anywhere near a soul in distress!

Sorry for the long post. Thank you for your patience.

Mahrie.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:47 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,359 times
Who exactly is supposed to pay for all of these separate or remodeled bathrooms? Business owners are supposed to shell out thousands to build on new bathrooms or to make big changes to their existing ones? All for what...to appease .03% of the population?

Old 04-12-2016, 01:55 PM

15 posts, read 17,003 times
This issue is pushed on the US citizens, to create strife, and to make each of question our current values and belief systems. Why would they want to do that? Because confusion is the first step of mind control.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:56 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,200,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
OOps I actually did mean Singapore not the Phillipines.

If all these companies that are pulling out of NC really care about the issue why don't they just put in a third unisex bathroom?

The whole point of this post was to point out that having a man use the ladies room and vice versa would lead to making people feel uneasy more so on the ladies side.
Of course there will be perverts whether they have a law or not but it just seems to be inviting those perverts to have a field day. I know it is rare but it still happens and I wouldn't want my wife, mother, sister or nieces to be put into a bad situation and there is nothing that can be done about it because in the end it seems there is nothing wrong with a man to be in the ladies restroom.

If a man actually identifies as a woman and dresses like one then by all means go in the ladies room but on those days that you don't dress like a woman it might be a better choice to use the mens room.

I still don't see why the majority should be forced to risk feeling uneasy to appease a very small minority.

Building a third bathroom would solve all these issues.
The law wasn't only about bathrooms. IT also removed city ordinances that provided protections based on sexual orientation and gender identity in employment and public accommodations.

Why would a business want to open somewhere that their staff could be openly discriminated against? That would hurt their ability to attract new employees.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:57 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
The people being appeased are those who are uncomfortable sharing a bathroom with a transgender. No real issue with how they are built now.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:58 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
While I hate to be disagreeable, Anywhere Else, I'm afraid that you are operating under mistaken assumptions.

In most major city hospitals, we see anywhere from four to six children born annually who have a variety of abnormal genitalia, and, of course, surgery is later required to correct these aberrations. Please note: It is not the child who is aberrant but rather the body they were born with.

Others are born with 'normal' genitalia but their brains (and hearts/spirits) do not belong in the bodies in which they find themselves. We see people who are clearly women but who are encased in a male 'shell,' if you will, and vice versa. Why is it so hard to believe that one may be born with abnormal genitalia but not with an abnormal body/brain 'fit'?

When I was a ten years old, I became aware of what a person 'born with the wrong equipment' has to deal with. There was a 'girl' (Alison) in my class at school who didn't participate in many routine activities that the rest of us did. One summer we attended a boarding-school-type place (a converted mansion) for underprivileged children. (Everyone in our area was considered underprivileged, including Alison.) She, however, did not join us, and I remember asking why. I don't recall the answer I was given precisely, but it had something to do with 'her' not being able to shower with us, which we all knew in any case.

Alison didn't return to our school in the fall, but a couple of years later I bumped in to 'her' in an open-air market, but 'she' wasn't a 'she' anymore, and 'his' name was now Andrew. (NOT his real name, but I'd rather not use that here - just in case.) I went home and told my mother all about the meeting and asked how Alison could have become Andrew. I don't recall precisely what she told me either, only that it didn't satisfy me, so I made use of the public library. It didn't take me long to learn that Andrew's 'problem' wasn't uncommon, and the reasons why it wasn't.

In the many years since, I've learned that many people are simply 'born with the wrong equipment.' I can't comment about Bruce Jenner, as I've no idea who he/she is, but I know for a certainty that sexual orientation and/or gender identity isn't even nearly always in keeping with one's physical structure - be it externally visible or an internal malfunction.

As for who should use which bathroom, who on earth cares?

If we're opting for 'decency' here, may I suggest that the U.S. builds it's public washrooms as Britain does - as private stalls, and the same thing be done in public swimming pool facilities? That would, of course, solve the problem.

There will always be homosexual, lesbian, and transgender people as part of the general population, just as there are 'perverts,' sexual deviants, rapists, murderers, and other degenerates. Transgender people are not 'confused' sexual deviants, or if some are, I'm quite sure the percentage would not differ from the rest of society.

By the way, I could name you several 'prominent MD's' who shouldn't be permitted to go anywhere near a soul in distress!

Sorry for the long post. Thank you for your patience.

Mahrie.
Love your post.

As to the "decency" argument. What, pray tell, is decent about encouraging discrimination?

Old 04-12-2016, 02:05 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The people being appeased are those who are uncomfortable sharing a bathroom with a transgender. No real issue with how they are built now.
I'm uncomfortable with people carrying around guns. So are a lot of other people. Why no attempts to appease us I wonder.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:15 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Love your post.

As to the "decency" argument. What, pray tell, is decent about encouraging discrimination?

Thank you.

I used the word 'decency,' as that was put forth in posts prior to mine. I'm certainly not an advocate of discrimination, but I am an advocate of modesty and privacy. I grew up in a culture that prized those values, and I liked it.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:18 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Thank you.

I used the word 'decency,' as that was put forth in posts prior to mine. I'm certainly not an advocate of discrimination, but I am an advocate of modesty and privacy. I grew up in a culture that prized those values, and I liked it.
So, not a fan of this setup then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates