Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 02:22 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Who exactly is supposed to pay for all of these separate or remodeled bathrooms? Business owners are supposed to shell out thousands to build on new bathrooms or to make big changes to their existing ones? All for what...to appease .03% of the population?

Well, the world is not thirsting for my opinion, but were I asked, I should opine that when constructing new washrooms, one might consider the 'stall' variety for reasons I have already mentioned. In the meantime, it is my opinion that if we each minded our own business and kicked the hysteria down a couple of dozen notches, the 'problem' would dissipate in any case.

Edited to add: As I understand it, it isn't the .03% that 'we' would be appeasing, but rather the percentage of people who mind the 'intrusion' into a public washroom by a transgender person.

Last edited by Mahrie; 04-12-2016 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
So, not a fan of this setup then?

Nope, not personally. I'm not what you'd call a 'flasher.' I have no problem making use of an obliging forest though.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:42 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The law wasn't only about bathrooms. IT also removed city ordinances that provided protections based on sexual orientation and gender identity in employment and public accommodations.

Why would a business want to open somewhere that their staff could be openly discriminated against? That would hurt their ability to attract new employees.
Many people are reluctant to move to such areas even if they are not the ones being discriminated against. It just isn't the kind of communities they want to live or raise their families in.

Many move to North Carolina because of the climate, the economy and the understanding that for a southern state, it is fairly progressive. This law puts that last notion to rest.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post

As I understand it, it isn't the .03% that 'we' would be appeasing, but rather the percentage of people who mind the 'intrusion' into a public washroom by a transgender person.
Yep.

So what if a percentage of people mind the "intrusion" of a transgender person into the restroom.

Many, many folks minded the "intrusion" of a person of color into a public restroom used by white people. In fact, they were fairly clear about this for years. Read The Help if this doesn't seem familiar to anyone.

Should our laws prohibit people of color from using public restrooms?

Old 04-12-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t ohanaspirit View Post
This issue is pushed on the US citizens, to create strife, and to make each of question our current values and belief systems. Why would they want to do that? Because confusion is the first step of mind control.

Afternoon t ohanapoirit!

As one who has worked in the missionary field for 42+ years, I have to ask; what's wrong with questioning your 'current values and belief systems'?

If what we believe is true (in so far as humans can discern truth), we need not fear any questions we are asked. I would encourage *everyone* to continually examine their values and beliefs. As we mature, we find many new layers and deeper understanding of the truth(s) we held to while yet still 'babes.'

No one can control your mind unless you let them.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:53 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
The simple solution is just to have all bathrooms only have stalls, as is the case with all women's rooms now.

Urinals are just gross, and are simply remnants of those weird eastern european toilets that you have to stand to use.

Legislate stalls, don't legislate people.

Also legislate that men actually have to hit the target when they go. Governments would sure make a lot of money on fines for violations of this law!

Old 04-12-2016, 03:29 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I'm sure transgender men who look like females have been using our ladies room for decades. Butch woman who appear male no doubt use the men's room, with nobody being the wiser. Why is this suddenly an issue being pushed by the LGBT?

Is nothing sacred to that group? Must we fight the activists on every issue? We all know that if they win this, our Ladies Room will be a thing of the past.

That's always been my opinion too. If you're a committed transgender, you should certainly want to look like the sex you identify with right ? If you do, or even fairly close, chances are nobody is going to question you about it. We've all seen masculine women, and feminine men and it's just, oh well !

Do what you have to do and quite making a federal case out of it. If you're a man and make an honest stab at being a women, and commit yourself to it, and dress like it, and act like it etc..., you're not likely to be denied access to the women's rest room.

If you still look like a man, complete with 3 day beard growth. long chest hair sticking out of your shirt, and a chain attached to your wallet, you're likely not identify with women in the first place....so either put up, or shut up ! We used to say to the kids.....act your age. In this case, act, look and dress your proper sex and chances are you'll not have any problem at all.

Don't make a problem where there isn't much of one to begin with.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

Also legislate that men actually have to hit the target when they go. Governments would sure make a lot of money on fines for violations of this law!
Now there's a law I could get behind.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:23 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
We are headed towards all bathroom being open to anyone at any time. I can see states passing laws that make urinals a requirement in all bathrooms! And laws making it a felony not to lower the seat after using, and a capital offense for urinating on the seat.

And I believe that should be a requirement for ALL FEDERAL BUILDINGS; especially the house and senate. Let's see how Pelosi, Boxer, etc., like it when Harry Reid comes marching in with his sunglasses on and drops his drawers! Or another scary thought, Pelosi coming into the men's room!

Old 04-12-2016, 06:36 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I agree with you but why is this very real feeling shared by most women being so completely ignored by the media and many big businesses these days? I think it must be because forcing women to allow men in their bathrooms and locker rooms is cheaper then forcing businesses to build a separate single stalled unisex restroom or changing room.

When they tried co ed changing rooms at a Canadian university the University of Toronto they immediately had reports of men filming women in the showers.

University of Toronto learns why mandatory unisex bathrooms are a bad idea « Hot Air

quote from the article :
"The University is temporarily changing its policy on gender-neutral bathrooms after two separate incidents of “voyeurism” were reported on campus September 15 and 19. Male students within the University’s Whitney Hall student residence were caught holding their cellphones over female students’ shower stalls and filming them as they showered."
Well, color me shocked! I could not have seen that type of thing occurring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates