Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 05:35 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
AS far as the Debate section of this thread goes it seems that most of the responders do not care if a man uses the ladies room and vice versa. I guess that is OK but I still see problems where some pervert is going to get his kicks by spying on a woman or girl doing her business then when the cops are called he will claim he has a right to be in there because he identifies as a woman. The victim is left feeling violated and the pervert walks.

When people are doing their business, they normally close the door of the toilet. Even "Perverts" don't have X-ray eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 05:50 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Conferences are canceling because of the inhospitable environment in North Carolina.

An APTrust event to be held in May at the Sheraton Raleigh Hotel hosted by the N.C. State University Library Conference has moved to Baltimore.

ACPA-College Student Educators International announced it has canceled a June conference in Charlotte. The Holiday Inn that was hosting the event agreed to move it to one of its hotels in another state.

TV, film production companies to leave NC over LGBT law | The Charlotte Observer

Conferences unable to cancel are reporting that speakers are backing out and attendees are canceling.

I imagine conference planners are crossing North Carolina off the list of potential sites.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
AS far as the Debate section of this thread goes it seems that most of the responders do not care if a man uses the ladies room and vice versa. I guess that is OK but I still see problems where some pervert is going to get his kicks by spying on a woman or girl doing her business then when the cops are called he will claim he has a right to be in there because he identifies as a woman. The victim is left feeling violated and the pervert walks.

The bend over part of the debate is the constant attack on what is considered to be normal society in America. We have always separated men from women in bathrooms, locker rooms, changing rooms and any other place where one might catch an eye full of the other and cause embarrassment or shame. I suppose there will come a time when everything is coed including showers at the gym and at schools.

What is not so good is how we have minority groups that are actually changing the rules on the silent majority by simply making enough noise to be a nuisance. There are some basic human rights that should be forwarded to everyone, man or woman, straight, gay or miscellaneous but some things should be held sacred like public bathrooms.

I think it is ridiculous that North Carolina is trying to make a stand for decency and they are being roasted for it in the oven of public opinion.

If paypal has such a problem with NC that they pulled out from plans to build offices in that state why didn't they just put in a third bathroom? Does Bruce Springsteen have that many transvestite fans that he is required to make a stand against NC? I could see if it was Lady Gaga but The Boss?

How far will the silent majority be forced to bend over for the noisy minority before they snap?
One would think that a "stand for decency" would include standing up for policies that prohibit discrimination.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
When people are doing their business, they normally close the door of the toilet. Even "Perverts" don't have X-ray eyes.
Every women's room I have ever been in has stalls. Why would anyone care who is using the adjoining stalls?

On another matter, when a woman walks past a construction site, many times there are indecent remarks made. Some of these remarks are made by perverts. No good woman should have to put up with that. When will the Republicans in North Carolina address this indecent situation?

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 04-10-2016 at 06:24 AM..

Old 04-10-2016, 06:44 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Easy solution - just have separate bathrooms for men, women and people who are confused about who the hell they really are.
I have seen that proposed and the transgenders do not want that. They want to be accepted for the biological sex that they can NEVER be. NEVER. Bruce Jenner is man with a penis that is dressed as a woman. Biological sex is what bathrooms, public showers, etc. were based on, not how one "feels".

Article on "gender confusion": Prominent M.D.: 'Gender confusion' a fleeting mental disorder

This falls under the same sort of thing as eating disorders, etc. They are unhappy with themselves and try to define the reason. Some years back I heard the "trend" was growing as some that were in reality "gay" and could not deal with that possibility instead turned to "being born in the wrong body", like that would ever be possible.

Since it is a mental health condition of a very few people, I think it should be dealt with at the therapist's office. In Bruce Jenner's case, he is still interested in having sexual relations with women. We also need to think about little girls that use the facilities by themselves and the opportunities this will afford the perverts!

As I have said before, I have an adult son with Down syndrome. I have to plan around being out when it comes to bathroom use. It would be the safest and most convenient for me to take him into the women's restroom with me, but out of respect for other women, I do not take my 30 year old son in the restroom, I plan around it. Yes, it is limiting but such is life. He functions at the pre-school level so I cannot leave him outside the restroom when I am using it. Would my taking him in the men's restroom and standing there be acceptable? I would have no problem doing that. Maybe I should just not give a darn about how what I do effects others? Think about it.

I think this thing with NC is wrong. I am not sure what drives this nonsense.

I follow the "Golden Rule".

Adding that stall doors do not always work. Women are known for adjusting "things" while looking in the mirror after washing their hands. Sometimes, depending on location type, there are no doors on bathrooms and showers, think camping facilities for one.

Very simple, on the door replace the signs "Vaginas" and "Penises". If they aren't sure which they have, they need not to be in public anyway!

Old 04-10-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have seen that proposed and the transgenders do not want that. They want to be accepted for the biological sex that they can NEVER be. NEVER. Bruce Jenner is man with a penis that is dressed as a woman. Biological sex is what bathrooms, public showers, etc. were based on, not how one "feels".

Article on "gender confusion": Prominent M.D.: 'Gender confusion' a fleeting mental disorder

This falls under the same sort of thing as eating disorders, etc. They are unhappy with themselves and try to define the reason. Some years back I heard the "trend" was growing as some that were in reality "gay" and could not deal with that possibility instead turned to "being born in the wrong body", like that would ever be possible.

Since it is a mental health condition of a very few people, I think it should be dealt with at the therapist's office. In Bruce Jenner's case, he is still interested in having sexual relations with women. We also need to think about little girls that use the facilities by themselves and the opportunities this will afford the perverts!

As I have said before, I have an adult son with Down syndrome. I have to plan around being out when it comes to bathroom use. It would be the safest and most convenient for me to take him into the women's restroom with me, but out of respect for other women, I do not take my 30 year old son in the restroom, I plan around it. Yes, it is limiting but such is life. He functions at the pre-school level so I cannot leave him outside the restroom when I am using it. Would my taking him in the men's restroom and standing there be acceptable? I would have no problem doing that. Maybe I should just not give a darn about how what I do effects others? Think about it.

I think this thing with NC is wrong. I am not sure what drives this nonsense.

I follow the "Golden Rule".

Adding that stall doors do not always work. Women are known for adjusting "things" while looking in the mirror after washing their hands. Sometimes, depending on location type, there are no doors on bathrooms and showers, think camping facilities for one.

Very simple, on the door replace the signs "Vaginas" and "Penises". If they aren't sure which they have, they need not to be in public anyway!
Sounds like a great idea. Accompanied by depictions of same, I assume.

As to the opportunities afforded to perverts, if this is such a problem today, why haven't we hear anything about it? And why is there not funding for bathroom monitors?

The bathroom issue is a distraction anyway. The real deal is the discrimination in the workplace, housing, etc. that this supports.

Just saw where a bookstore in Asheville had to cancel an event because the speaker declined to come to NC.

And the list goes on.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:25 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times
I'm proud of my state for taking a stance against all of the politically correct nonsense that is going on in today's world.

I think some people think that supporters of this are calling transgendered people perverts. For me, that's not the issue. I doubt there have been too many instances of people telling a transgendered woman or man that they should be using a different bathroom. But in these cases, you're talking about men or women who are invested, who have made an effort to "be" who they are. Even if they still have the "original equipment," they are living like a woman or a man.

In today's world, people want it so that anyone who looks any type of way can go into any bathroom that they want. In today's politically correct world, a man who isn't dressed as a woman, who doesn't act like a woman, who is 100% man is supposed to be able to walk into the women's bathroom, and we aren't supposed to question him because it's not politically correct. That's when you have to start worrying about perverts.

As a female, I don't have an issue sharing a bathroom with another "woman" who is dressed like a woman, acts like a woman, etc. I'm not going to be pulling down her undies to verify that she has the same equipment that I have. I do, however, have a problem doing my business in a stall beside someone who is a man, looks like a man, acts like a man, etc. but who I am not supposed to question because it's "transphobic" to do so.

And yes, I understand that some trans people can be put into scary situations, but I think you have to look at the majority. Only approximately 0.03% of the US population is transgender. Using those statistics, of the 9.94 million people who reside in North Carolina, only 29,280 are transgender. It doesn't seem right to put nearly 10 million people in uncomfortable situations on a daily basis to accommodate less than 30,000 people. Sometimes you have to do what is best for the majority.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:26 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
I don't know what kind of public restrooms you use, but most of the stalls that I've been in are designed so that they can easily be peeked under or over. There are also often gaps between the stall "walls" and the door that can be seen through. Ever looked down to see if you saw someone's shoes before attempting to open a stall door? I have.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:47 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,835,476 times
I don't care is the person next to me pees through a vagina or a penis, as long as they don't pee on my shoes.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:49 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I'm proud of my state for taking a stance against all of the politically correct nonsense that is going on in today's world.

I think some people think that supporters of this are calling transgendered people perverts. For me, that's not the issue. I doubt there have been too many instances of people telling a transgendered woman or man that they should be using a different bathroom. But in these cases, you're talking about men or women who are invested, who have made an effort to "be" who they are. Even if they still have the "original equipment," they are living like a woman or a man.

In today's world, people want it so that anyone who looks any type of way can go into any bathroom that they want. In today's politically correct world, a man who isn't dressed as a woman, who doesn't act like a woman, who is 100% man is supposed to be able to walk into the women's bathroom, and we aren't supposed to question him because it's not politically correct. That's when you have to start worrying about perverts.

As a female, I don't have an issue sharing a bathroom with another "woman" who is dressed like a woman, acts like a woman, etc. I'm not going to be pulling down her undies to verify that she has the same equipment that I have. I do, however, have a problem doing my business in a stall beside someone who is a man, looks like a man, acts like a man, etc. but who I am not supposed to question because it's "transphobic" to do so.

And yes, I understand that some trans people can be put into scary situations, but I think you have to look at the majority. Only approximately 0.03% of the US population is transgender. Using those statistics, of the 9.94 million people who reside in North Carolina, only 29,280 are transgender. It doesn't seem right to put nearly 10 million people in uncomfortable situations on a daily basis to accommodate less than 30,000 people. Sometimes you have to do what is best for the majority.

A good post Lkmax.

It is amazing how many people have posted here that they wouldn't have a problem sharing a public restroom with the opposite sex, well I would and my wife would too.

No perverts don't have Xray vision but they do have cell phones with cameras that they can put under or over a stall. Some perverts would get off on just listening to a girl tinkle. Do you want some weirdo hanging out in the bathroom to listen to you? and if you call the police all the pervert needs to do is tell them that he identifies as a woman and has a right to be in there. The police wouldn't touch that out of fear of a multi million dollar discrimination suit.

Another comment was doing something about the cat calls from the construction sites that a woman has to walk past. I agree I think it is rude to objectify a woman like that and I see the ladies room as a way to escape the leering, jeering and rudeness from men. It is a safe zone for women to take a breath.

I still think it is ridiculous that NC is losing business because of this.
Isn't there bigger things to worry about?

I also agree that it is ridiculous to put 10 million people in a possible uncomfortable situation to appease a mere 30,000 minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates