Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 09:14 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I don't care is the person next to me pees through a vagina or a penis, as long as they don't pee on my shoes.
Agree with you there.

I've lived in work camps where I have showered in stalls next to those of the opposite sex. As long as they didn't come into my shower stall, we were fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 09:20 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,730,990 times
Just far enough to allow insertion of the penis.
...oh, wait...did I just actually say that out loud?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
How long will this PC nonsense continue before the majority says enough is enough?
I would agree that some "PC nonsense" goes a bit too far, but I don't think that this is one of those cases. For one thing, I think that gender-neutral bathroom options should have always been just plain common sense, even before the whole trans issue became a public discussion. I think the Kroger store sign that has been going around the internet lately sums up my view on this:

We have a UNISEX bathroom because sometimes gender specific toilets put others into uncomfortable situations. And since we have a lot of friends coming to see us, we want provide a place for our friends who are:
    • Dads with daughters
    • Moms with sons
    • Parents with disabled children
    • Those in the LGBTQ community
    • Adults with aging parents who may be mentally or physically disabled
THANK YOU for helping us to provide a safe environment for EVERYONE!

All of the freaking-out over "perverts" etc. is just sheer nonsense. Unisex bathroom options don't put anyone in any more danger of anything. The only people in any real danger (beyond the random statistical danger that we all face anytime we go out in public) are the transfolks who get beat up because they are not like the majority.

Speaking strictly for myself, as a male, I don't care if women use the men's bathroom. So this gives me an idea: I think that if a small business does not want to pay to install an extra unisex bathroom, then the men's bathroom should become a unisex bathroom - especially if it is a small bathroom with a lock on the door so that if a man is concerned about it, he could lock the door. I know this idea probably won't be adopted cuz somebody somewhere would complain about "men not being treated equally" - but I think it is a shame because it would really be a cheap, easy solution, and the majority of men would not really care.

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 04-10-2016 at 09:49 AM..

Old 04-10-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I'm proud of my state for taking a stance against all of the politically correct nonsense that is going on in today's world.

I'm embarrassed, ashamed, and astounded. After all the years of hard work to attract businesses and conferences to North Carolina, now this. Does anyone honestly believe that this is going to blow over?

Since when is it "politically correct" to sanction discrimination? That's exactly what this bill is about -- allowing discrimination in jobs and housing. The bathroom business is a sideshow meant to rally the troops.

So rally away while jobs and tax revenue disappear.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
?

I also agree that it is ridiculous to put 10 million people in a possible uncomfortable situation to appease a mere 30,000 minority.
In the first place, 10 million people are not put in a "possible uncomfortable situation." Most people don't care who goes in the stall next to them.

"Appease a minority?" Bet you were fun during the civil rights era.

That's what civil rights are all about -- the majority being respectful of the rights of the minority.

Now we have pharmacists who refuse to fill birth control prescriptions, and public employees refusing to follow the law about marriage licenses, and bakers declining to bake cakes and ...

At some point, the majority will tire of this self-righteous nonsense.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I'm sure transgender men who look like females have been using our ladies room for decades. Butch woman who appear male no doubt use the men's room, with nobody being the wiser. Why is this suddenly an issue being pushed by the LGBT?.
It's not being pushed by LBGT. Have you not been paying attention?

Charlotte passed an ordinance prohibiting discrimination and the legislature met in haste to pass a bill saying they couldn't do that. McCory signed it that night.

Indeed, transgender men and women have been using public restrooms for decades with nary a problem. Now all of a sudden we're worried about perverts taking pictures under the stalls, as if this law will prevent that.

Good grief folks, put on your thinking caps.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:44 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Very simple, on the door replace the signs "Vaginas" and "Penises". If they aren't sure which they have, they need not to be in public anyway!
Someone may be offended by those terms. Perhaps "Innie" and "Outie" would work?

Old 04-10-2016, 09:58 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,931,597 times
I am all for UNISEX bathrooms in public places or businesses. As long as the bathroom has private stalls (no urinals) then everyone should be happy, right? I would be perfectly OK relieving myself behind a closed stall no matter who is doing the same next to me. It's the disgusting, gross things people do in public bathrooms that make me think twice before using a public potty. That concerns me way more than their anatomy or gender identification.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:20 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,730,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I am all for UNISEX bathrooms in public places or businesses. As long as the bathroom has private stalls (no urinals) then everyone should be happy, right?
Personally, I think that all unisex bathrooms should have urinals. They conserve water, and women should be happy to see them because there is less likelihood of men leaving the seat up - or, worse, splattering on the seat because they are too rude or lazy to lift the toilet seat.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:51 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
Well, this is embarrassing. My math was off...it never was my strong suit. I thought that number seemed high... .03 percent of 10 million is 3,000. Which makes my point even more relevant. 10 million people -- around half women -- are supposed to be put in uncomfortable situations every day to appease 3 THOUSAND. Use common sense.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:09 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Personally, I think that all unisex bathrooms should have urinals. They conserve water, and women should be happy to see them because there is less likelihood of men leaving the seat up - or, worse, splattering on the seat because they are too rude or lazy to lift the toilet seat.
As someone who has had to work jobs cleaning public toilets before, men would have much greater reason to be worried about the "splattering" (to put it nicely...it's better than saying "the smearing" I've seen in women's restrooms) done by women than women would by men in a unisex bathroom.

Last edited by soletaire; 04-10-2016 at 11:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates