Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 02:40 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,834,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Astounding to read these posts about equal rights being PC nonsense.
Really?

I find it utterly predictable.

99% of the time, bleats of "PC this!, PC that!" mean nothing more than "Wah! I don't like this or that, but I can't articulate a coherent reason why so I'll just dismiss it all as political correctness!".

This current wave of hysteria is very reminiscent of the hysteria between the 1940s and 1970s over having to share restrooms and schools with non-whites, to say nothing of the horror most people had at allowing whites and blacks to marry.

Some people simply have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 02:48 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,214,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
No, because only one person uses them at a time. Also, only a limited number of people -- who I know -- use the restroom in my home.

Apples and oranges.
Actually, lots of businesses have bathrooms that can only be used by 1 person at a time, too. Some have sex segregated bathrooms and others have only 1. So, if you have a 2 bath house, why aren't yours segregated by sex?

Old 04-10-2016, 02:56 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,028,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Actually, lots of businesses have bathrooms that can only be used by 1 person at a time, too. Some have sex segregated bathrooms and others have only 1. So, if you have a 2 bath house, why aren't yours segregated by sex?
That's not what anyone is talking about here, but you already knew that.

I don't have a problem with using a bathroom that has been used by a man, but I do have a problem with a man being in the bathroom with me at the same time, particularly when we're only separated by half walls that can be looked over or under and that have gaps that can be easily seen through.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:29 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,447,191 times
Quote:

I don't have a problem with using a bathroom that has been used by a man, but I do have a problem with a man being in the bathroom with me at the same time, particularly when we're only separated by half walls that can be looked over or under and that have gaps that can be easily seen through.
And who exactly is preventing that from happening now? Have there been Bathroom Police all this time that we didn't know about?

Old 04-10-2016, 03:29 PM

51,657 posts, read 25,882,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Maybe we should begin having a third restroom for "whatever". I am sure for some their identity crisis is real. But to open restrooms to where ever a person feels comfortable opens up for a lot of perverts also.
News flash. Perverts are already using public restrooms.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:40 PM

51,657 posts, read 25,882,563 times
Quote:
That's not what anyone is talking about here, but you already knew that.

What exactly are you concerned about them seeing? A flash of your bare bum?

And how on earth does this bill prevent a man from dressing up like a woman and peeking through the slit between the door and the stall?

For years, I worked in construction camps in Alaska where the women's restrooms were few and far between. The Atco trailers had rows of stall and urinals at the end.

I would yell, "Woman coming in." Give them a minute to adjust their britches and then march on in.

I don't recall anyone complaining to the management. Nor did I ever have any trouble. Well, not in the restrooms.

On a related matter. Back when my sister and I used to hitchhike, if the driver said that he picked us up to keep us from getting picked up by a pervert, we would say, "Stop the car," and get out. Invariably, those who accused others of being perverts, turned out to be perverts themselves. Sigh.

Just like people who carry on about others stealing things are often thieves themselves. And those who yammer endlessly about family values... You get the picture.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:33 PM

24,565 posts, read 18,318,569 times
Personally, I don't care. I'd be fine with unisex restrooms. I just flew to London today. The toilets on airplanes are unisex and nobody thinks anything of it.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:51 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,944,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
This question is sparked by the great hypocrisy of the month. It has to do with paypal and other big companies that are boycotting North Carolina over their plan to bar transgendered men from using the ladies room yet these big companies have no problem doing business and opening offices in countries that are terrible for gay people. If you are gay in the Phillipines you can get lashed and face up to 20 years in Prison yet paypal has corporate offices there? SO why are they making such a fuss about North Carolina?

The article
PayPal, Apple lecture North Carolina, do business in countries far more hostile to gays - Washington Times

It is obvious that in America we want to make everyone feel welcome, safe and our laws provide certain rights for everyone. Personally I don't want a guy who thinks he is a woman that day go into the ladies room with my wife, mother, sister or nieces. The ladies room is a place where women can let down their guard a bit, do their business in peace, check their look and go back out into the world.
I don't think most women would be too happy when they are applying some lipstick at the sinks and some 6'4 hairy guy in heels comes out of a stall.
Let's give our women some peace.

Now I think gays, lesbians transgendered and miscellaneous others should NOT be discriminated against in any way but come on. They make up a small percentage of the population yet the majority is being asked to bend over to their ways.

So paypal and other companies refuse to do business with North Carolina because of this bathroom silliness yet they continue to do business with countries that have horrible human rights violations against gay people.

Should the majority of folks stop supporting these companies to protest their stance in NC?
Why can't paypal put in a third bathroom for transgendered people in their offices?

Men would you be upset if a woman came in to use the mens room ?

Women would you be upset if a man came in to use the ladies room?

How long will this PC nonsense continue before the majority says enough is enough?
Brother in Law was in the Air Force stationed in the Philippines and my mother visited them a few times and they all said they have public restrooms that either gender uses at the same time.... So what's the diff here.. Americans are waay to pussified and have problems about things the rest of the world takes for granted or does not see as a problem....

Old 04-10-2016, 07:50 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,028,832 times
I'm tired of people comparing the United States to other countries.

We aren't Sweden, for example, and it's positively terrifying that that's the goal that Bernie Sanders and his cult following have in place for us.

We also aren't the Philippines. Do you want to compare us to a third-world country? Some countries don't have toilets or toilet paper, so they obviously aren't concerned about sharing bathrooms with people of the same sex, but does that mean that they are better or more progressive than us?

I agree that a lot of Americans are "waay to (sic) pussified," but I think you're looking at the wrong side.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:22 PM

5,075 posts, read 2,286,423 times
A man in Seattle went into the women's locker room and started to undress. When women alerted the staff at the pool, the man told them "the law has changed and I have a right to be in here".

I'll bet you end up with more pervs taking advantage than this one single guy. Using the numbers from one of the other posts, I'll bet there are more creepy men in the world than there are transgendered people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates