Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 12:24 AM

51,657 posts, read 25,882,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I'll bet there are more creepy men in the world than there are transgendered people.
Would be a good bet. But having one undress in the women's locker room to make a point is the least of my worries.

So strange to read that people should be denied equal treatment because others are uncomfortable. Last time I recall reading that certain people should not be allowed to use certain restrooms was way back in the sixties. Course it was easier to identify who was who back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 01:47 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,170,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I am all for UNISEX bathrooms in public places or businesses. As long as the bathroom has private stalls (no urinals) then everyone should be happy, right?
Said no man ever.

Those with male anatomy should not be denied the use of urinals. Nobody should have to deal with the seat cleanliness issues that inevitably occur when men urinate into toilets.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
A man in Seattle went into the women's locker room and started to undress. When women alerted the staff at the pool, the man told them "the law has changed and I have a right to be in here".
Woman in Detroit was hauled out of restaurant bathroom because the security guard mistook her for a male.

Detroit Woman Kicked Out of Restaurant Bathroom for Looking 'Like a Man' Sues | Advocate.com

And so it goes.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:14 AM

215 posts, read 371,742 times
I am pro LGBT rights. I also have a problem with hetero men using women's locker rooms.
HB2 is trying to fix something, but they messed up when they included all that other stuff in the bill.
Bathrooms aren't as big of a concern to me. But I use a locker room every day, and having some guy in there watching is not what I would be comfortable with.
People who are against HB2 seem to be ignoring the incidents that are happening already. So how do we fix it? Is the sacrifice of female privacy and possible molestation worth it? And no, I don't believe transgender people are doing the molesting - that argument is invalid. I believe, as has already manifested, that heterosexual males are going to take advantage of places with the lax bathroom law, and openly present themselves in female locker rooms.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:29 AM

6,622 posts, read 6,557,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It certainly has been going on for years and if someone is discrete about it and they are actually believe they are a woman and living their lives as one then go ahead and use the ladies room.

I think activist groups have the right idea to bring attention to people who struggle in normal society but we all know where this might go. People cannot be trusted to do the right thing.

A small percentage of muslims are terrorists.
A small percentage of people are transgendered
A small percentage of people are perverts.

We take a risk when we let unvetted muslims into the country. We take a risk when we let a small amount of perverts into the ladies room.

By going over the top and allowing PC nonsense to cloud common sense we are asking for trouble. I only bring up the push for more muslims into the country as an example. I could have said Obamacare or illegal immigration or welfare. These are all things that started as ideas to help people but many have taken advantage and scam the system. Why do we think men in the ladies room will be any different?

How soon will it be when some guy that claims to be a woman slips his cellphone under or over a stall to capture a unsuspecting woman doing her business? There are perverts that enjoy that type of thing. Women have enough problems worrying about the cat calls, unwanted advances and upskirting photos that they should be given a break when they go to the ladies loo.

I think North Carolina is right to take a stand and say enough is enough and more states should stop bending over for a small minority and start listening to the majority.
This just made me think of something that might cause a bit of trouble:

What will happen if a muslim woman goes into a women's bathroom while the woman's husband stands outside the door waiting. As he waits, a person with man's parts, who is dressed like a woman but obviously isn't, comes out of a woman's bathroom and her muslim husband sees him? I can't see it going over well...

I am one who also thinks that with more and more people feeling comfortable with who they are, (good for them!) there should be three washrooms provided where there is space and enough need to provide them (say in large centers where there are larger groups of trans).

In smaller centers, then some kind of sign should be posted by the owners of businesses that trans are allowed in either or that they need to use "gender" appropriate washrooms. (owner's decision)

Really, for the time it takes to pee and wash/tidy up, this shouldn't be a major issue in someone's life. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill, in other words.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:19 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,800,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Astounding to read these posts about equal rights being PC nonsense.
Permitting others to use a bathroom that does NOT reflect their "Physical" gender is not being unequal, it is being fair to those who know how to read signs.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:21 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,800,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Brother in Law was in the Air Force stationed in the Philippines and my mother visited them a few times and they all said they have public restrooms that either gender uses at the same time.... So what's the diff here.. Americans are waay to pussified and have problems about things the rest of the world takes for granted or does not see as a problem....
You don't have many guys primping at the mirrors as you do females...

Old 04-11-2016, 12:15 PM

This law is about allowing discrimination of the LBGT community in the workplace, in stores, restaurants, etc. as well as in bathrooms. It is one of the nation's most sweeping anti-LGBT laws and more than 130 executives from companies such as Bank of America, IBM, etc. have signed a letter urging McCrory and the legislature to repeal it.

PayPal has backed out of an expansion they had planned. Conferences have been cancelled. States governments are no longer allowing employees to travel to North Carolina.

Companies are concerned that even when it is appealed, the stench of it will make it even more difficult to attract top notch employees. Already, applicants are pulling their resumes.

North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper has made it clear that his office will not go to court to argue to uphold the law. Cooper, a Democrat running for governor, called the measure “a national embarrassment” that “will set North Carolina’s economy back if we don’t repeal it.”

It's so strange because as far as I'm aware, men in the ladies rooms has not been a problem in North Carolina. A Google search of "men in women's bathrooms in North Carolina" turns up not a single incident.

I'm not sure who screwed the pooch with this one, but you can bet Cooper will ride it home.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:18 PM

What is it with Republicans and their endless fascination with other people's reproductive concerns and bathroom habits?

Old 04-11-2016, 12:33 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,937,486 times
I don't give a fiddlers fig about a common restroom.

I DO draw the line that a person with a penis wants to use the same change room as my daughter in the gym or swimming pool. I really don't care if Georgie boy's feelings are hurt, but my daughter's feelings come first. Her right not to have to change in front of a penis bearer comes first. Her right not to feel uncomfortable come way, way before Georgie boy's feelings matter to me.

And if that makes me a bigot, bring it on. But there WILL not be a situation were my daughter has to feel uncomfortable or threatened. Period.

Summing up, restroooms, who cares, change rooms I care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates