Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 09:39 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,303,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
If you are downing a bunch of potent prescribed opiates in such a dose as to impair your driving ability, then you can certainly get a DUI.

I have nothing against marijuana. I have something against you getting behind the wheel of a car and killing someone because you want to play the victim card. "Oh people just don't like me because I take mariJUANa, oh woe is me" whine whine whine.

Think of someone you love. Your child, your mom, your spouse, whoever. Now think if someone smoked up, got in the car, had a *SQUIRRIL!!!* moment, caused an accident, and killed your loved one. Like seriously, the person who love with all your heart, who causes you joy every day of your life, you are holding them in your arms, they are bleeding out, their blood all over you, their life all over you, no longer in their own bodies, their lifeless eyes looking past you, DEAD. Dead dead dead. Gone. Gone forever and ever because someone drove while high.

Stay. Home.
Is that right???? Will I be tested at a random stop for opiates in my system??? I highly doubt it because that would mean a LOT of people would lose their driving privileges.

I don't play the "victim card"....that's obviously your department. I don't feel the need (as you think I do) to advertise that I've smoked pot. ....I have MANY good friends, none based on whether they consume or smoke marijuana.
Your whining and whining makes me believe that YOU are the one crying because you lack any real friends.
Maybe you're too critical of their habits for them....too bad for you.
No one who smokes pot ever has a "squirrel" (as you describe it)..must be something you've noticed among your limited supply of friends....as they consume copious glasses of legal alcohol, with the one illegal joint they've all shared.

Name me ONE case where marijuana use (alone)..caused an accident.
Have you ever had someone bleed out all over you????..
By the way...most of us know what dead means.

Last edited by purehuman; 04-14-2016 at 09:52 AM..

Old 04-14-2016, 09:50 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,303,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Potheads are rarely tidy people.

I believe in live-and-let-live, but I'd like them to live in households that are not shared with me personally.

Thank god my pothead roommate days are behind me.
What a big laugh.....
Glad you're enjoying your tidy house now.

Maybe the "potheads" you know would be slobs even if they didn't partake.

I know an older woman who is fastidiously clean...her small home immaculate...her marijuana tea amazing.
I've also know people who've shared a place with room mates who've proved to be absolute slobs, weather they smoked pot or not.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:35 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,683,466 times
I think it has been adequately established that smoking marijuana does not make one bad.
But a few things that are considered bad have been brought up....driving under the influence and lack of memory.
About driving...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Think of someone you love. Your child, your mom, your spouse, whoever. Now think if someone smoked up, got in the car, had a *SQUIRRIL!!!* moment, caused an accident, and killed your loved one. Like seriously, the person who love with all your heart, who causes you joy every day of your life, you are holding them in your arms, they are bleeding out, their blood all over you, their life all over you, no longer in their own bodies, their lifeless eyes looking past you, DEAD. Dead dead dead. Gone. Gone forever and ever because someone drove while high.
Stay. Home.
This here is a horrible image, a bit excessive and dramatic fro the subject in my opinion...but...This type of horrific accident happens only with a very violent impact, a violent impact requires a high rate of speed and likely erratic weaving.
I'm sorry, but marijuana smokers are not going to drive in this manner at all. In fact, the higher they get, the more likely they are to NOT drive. But those that do go and drive, drive too slow or too carefully to cause the horrible scene as described above....it does not happen.
Marijuana smokers are nothing like drunk people. A drunk person who is visibly impaired says they are fine to drive and will even argue the point. A 'stoner' will sit and relax until they are feelings up to the task, they would rather enjoy the high on the couch that get behind the wheel and ruin the buzz or feel paranoid.
Then again, there are the different strains and brains....I know quite a few people that drive perfectly fine while just having smoked a joint.

Memory- LOTS of thing impair memory, alcohol, stress, chaotic lifestyles, prescribed drugs, old age, a 2x4 to the head, and so on. To point out memory issues in marijuana use as a point against it....weak.
I am a daily user. My memory is no different than when I was not a smoker. In fact, my memory is actually better than most people. I volunteer as an admin for a arts and craft sellers group. There are four of us, I'm the only one who smokes. We often change our membership due to lack of participation or cooperation, I am the only one who can remember who has been removed from the group without going to the list to see.

So I would argue about - how much - marijuana effects memory.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:21 PM

3,654 posts, read 3,792,508 times
Moderator cut: Quoted Post Deleted

I, unfortunately, have experience dealing with the weak. Gotta smoke. Gotta eat. Gotta drink. Gotta do something to avoid simply living and contributing.

Last edited by Jeo123; 04-15-2016 at 11:37 AM..

Old 04-14-2016, 02:48 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,713,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplugnw View Post
some people where having an argument about this subject and some people were saying they feel marijuana smokers are likely to have impulsive behavior. most of the smokers feel like some may be effected, but most are already bad and impulsive in the first place. the non smokers and some ex smokers also said its a gateway drug because the high goes away, while the smokers say the people who go to more harsher drugs are out of their minds.

i don't smoke weed, but how do you feel about the subject?
Is it Christianity that turns people into perverts, or do perverts have an attraction to organized religion? If they didn't think God was watching them all the time, would they all be criminals?

Old 04-14-2016, 03:55 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,337,020 times
The bad behavior I've seen it cause:

-Complete lack of initiative.
-Watching too much TV.
-Weight gain from consumption of junk food.
-The belief that the two political parties are equally bad.
-Saying "bro" every other word.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:01 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,104,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I, unfortunately, have experience dealing with the weak. Gotta smoke. Gotta eat. Gotta drink. Gotta do something to avoid simply living and contributing.
Some people are weak. So what? It doesn't necessarily mean that they're a menace to or burden on society. What do you care as long as they don't bother you?

Old 04-14-2016, 06:50 PM

10 posts, read 14,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheMatrix View Post
Ya know Phil, with the exception of the bold print I disagree. In fact some of your statements like " I know for a day after I use it, it's a lot harder to remember things, to think analytically, and to focus on surroundings." make me think you are full of bologna , simply because I am a daily user (evenings once I'm home ) and when I show up to work the next day I have no trouble doing those things, and since I work in a highly technical field, I would think I (or a supervisor) would notice. But instead I get praised for good work day in and day out. Or maybe you just need to try a different strain of Cannabis - I would bet a good Sativa strain would give you a different results.

They put warning labels on pain killer bottles for a reason.

A "higher dose" of pretty much anything would cause you to feel like you're spinning (ever drink too much?)

So, I guess to answer the OP's question - it all depends on the person and that person's choices after they make a decision to indulge in a substance. I go home and smoke pot, then make the decision to NOT do anything harmful to myself, others,or their property. Unfortunately, not everyone makes GOOD decisions. not a reason to make something ( a plant for cheesus sake) illegal - IMO
I actually get the same effects as Phil after a day of smoking. Obviously you won't feel that way if you smoke daily, but if you stop smoking for two years like I did and start smoking on occasion, you'll notice the difference in mental capacity, which is why I can't commit to doing it often again.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:04 PM

3,654 posts, read 3,792,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Some people are weak. So what? It doesn't necessarily mean that they're a menace to or burden on society. What do you care as long as they don't bother you?
Ah... but they do. They are not able to function at their maximum capacity. Granted that is different for all of us. But, at least sober and sane, one can contribute to their own life.

High. Drunk. Immobilized by gluttony.

They are not contributing to their own well-being or anyone else's. They, and the rest of us, miss out on what could be.

Perhaps I give some people too much credit.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:09 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,104,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Ah... but they do. They are not able to function at their maximum capacity. Granted that is different for all of us. But, at least sober and sane, one can contribute to their own life.

High. Drunk. Immobilized by gluttony.

They are not contributing to their own well-being or anyone else's. They, and the rest of us, miss out on what could be.

Perhaps I give some people too much credit.
Most people don't function at their maximum capacity. So what? As long as they are taking care of themselves and not bothering anyone why do you care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates