Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 01:16 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Well would you?

If someone broke into your home and had a gun and there was NO doubt that they were going to kill your family, would you take their life? Or walking down a street & someone pulled a gun on you & yours. Would you fight for your own life?

I ask this because I see so many here who are against the death penalty and who are pro-life. I have to wonder if they would just stand by and let their family be killed or defend them. I'm not tying to be a troll I just have to wonder at what point they believe that taking a life is okay.

This is a simple answer for me.

Yes.
To protect my family, and some slightly more petty reasons. The lives of people are a bypocritical thing for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 03:47 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Some of the crimes being committed today are so brutal and horrific that I can't even fathom how someone could even think of such madness.
Horrific crimes are hardly a product of the modern era. If you've spent time reading historical accounts, you might come to realize that Man's treatment of his (or her) fellow man hasn't changed much for the better or the worse since we first walked out of Africa (or the Garden of Eden, if you prefer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Also, it should not take 15-20 years. They lost their rights the minute they crossed that line.
No, they don't lose all their rights until the judicial process is complete. They lose some on arrest, more on conviction, but until the whole judicial process is complete they don't (and shouldn't) lose all their rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Picking & choosing I see. Not surprised.
I don't think pointing out that the Bible's commandment of "Thou shall not kill" really is "Thou shall not murder" (ask any preacher who's been to seminary), and that the Bible has holy wars described in it counts as "picking & choosing."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
the problem with our society is all that people do is set an alarm security system that notifies the authorities about a break in. i installed high voltage shock panels throughout my home on the main floor, which can only be activated from my bedroom via security cameras. if someone breaks in, it notifies me.. and i turn it on. basically every 4 feet they travel on the main floor, they will be electrocuted.
Why don't you just move to a safer neighborhood?

Old 05-31-2016, 10:28 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
I first posted #51 -

START OF POST #51...
I can answer this after reading just the first 6 words... YES.
Someone broke into my house - they are threatening me and/or my family, I'm putting every round into them and then calling ServePro to clean up the mess... and, while he/she catches his/her last breath, I'll be nice and ask if they want a glass of water... and, once the last breath has been drawn, THEN I call 9-1-1... No need for them to witness the dead person's last breath...
... END OF POST #51

Someone, I'm not sure who as they didn't leave their name, posted this to me:

if you're deliberately slow in summoning the police, you open yourself up to civil or criminal action (and questioning of motive for the shooting). For all you know, the person was not in his right mind.
... end of mysterious persons post...

I must reply... but since I didn't know who wrote it, I had nobody to send it to, so I'm posting it here.

It is NOT my responsibility to determine if this 'person' is or was not in his right mind...
They are in my house.
They got there uninvited.
They are threatening my life or those that I love - without a QUESTION, I'm ending their ability to continue this action, on me or anybody else.
I'm shooting them dead.
Until they are no longer breathing.
Until their heart is no longer pumping blood through their now very injured body.
Until the brain they had - but didn't use when they determined to enter my house without being invited, got splattered over my living room walls and floor.
After they have been made no longer a threat, I'm calling ServePro to clean up they splattered mess that they've caused me to make, and calling 9-1-1 to have those that protect and serve come to take the report while they tag and bag the bad guy. Then I'm hugging my loved ones that I've protected and of course, cleaning my weapon and arming it incase some other idiot decides to duplicate the dead guys actions.

And I'll have no problem sleeping that night, knowing I did what I had to do to protect my family.

I think that the anonymous posters point was that I called 9-1-1 after I called ServePro... It wouldn't matter - they are there to protect and serve - the intruder is dead, they will get there before ServePro shows up regardless, so it matters not how soon or what order I place the calls to either.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:36 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Where did you take a gun course that taught "shoot to maim?"

I don't think so. Given the near impossibility of anyone less than the most incredibly trained gunfighter being able to strike an extremity in the heat of danger sufficient to require firing a weapon at all, no certified instructor teaches "shoot to maim."
my pardons. It was not a gun program or course on how to shoot to kill. It was a six week course on self defense and survival. Thanks for assuming though, that was also discussed in the course.

I stand by the Maime or disable the assailant before rendering death upon them.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:38 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
my pardons. It was not a gun program or course on how to shoot to kill. It was a six week course on self defense and survival. Thanks for assuming though, that was also discussed in the course.

I stand by the Maime or disable the assailant before rendering death upon them.
I continue to assert that no certified shooting course taught "shoot to maim."

Anyone promoting "shoot to maim" for defensive purposes has certainly never been in a gunfight before, not even a simulated gunfight.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:59 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
If someone broke into our home while we were there, they would get one warning, in the form of the sound of a shotgun being cocked. No determining whether or not they were there to kill us, or do something else.

Outside the home? If someone pulled a gun on us, or otherwise threatened bodily injury? Damn straight that they would regret that decision.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:17 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
If someone broke into my house, I'd shoot them immediately. No time to figure out if they have a gun or what their intentions are.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:26 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I continue to assert that no certified shooting course taught "shoot to maim."

Anyone promoting "shoot to maim" for defensive purposes has certainly never been in a gunfight before, not even a simulated gunfight.

I agree, even after having been through numerous firearms courses both in the military and in the civilian world, I can say that shooting to maim is a real big non starter, as it is really hard to differentiate between what part of the body to hit with your rounds when you are in the process of stopping the threat. way too much adrenaline is in your body, your body is probably shaking, and more than likely you also have tunnel vision, especially for people that are killing someone for the 1st time.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:28 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
An animal will attack & kill and intruder into its space.

I think this is the wrong question. There is not much of an ethical dilemma over an aggressive & murderous intruder into one's home. This is actually a fairly rare occurrence. As someone else said - a person willing to try that is probably borderline suicidal as it is. Even if they are not killed by the occupants who are justified in using self-defense, the sentences for home invasions are among the worst next to murder. Many judges will give a convicted home invader a life sentence, as opposed to burglary which is typically 2-20 years.

That said, all of you that are so trigger happy.... you cannot just willy-nilly shoot any trespasser on your property, as this Montana man discovered when he shot a kid in his garage and got sentenced to 70 years in prison: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...armed-intruder

Depending on the circumstances of the case, your jurisdiction and your local DA, you CAN get charged with homicide. In every gun defense class I've ever been in - they all say that if you pull that trigger on a person, you'd better be d**n sure it's for the right reason. In any case expect your life to change after that trigger is pulled, and probably not for the better. Many people have lost their homes due to legal battles even in cases where they were in the right. The best defense is to set yourself up to not ever have to pull the trigger.

I've read up on a bunch of these cases... yes you can shoot a burglar in your house, no doubt. However, was the person you shot a burglar? Were you really afraid for your life or did you shoot someone because you wanted to? Even in gun-friendly states like Texas detectives will investigate this: http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2016...y-friday.html/

Can't just shoot someone for no reason, certainly not an unarmed person:http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...arly--1/nRkDr/

He got convicted of murder: http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-dail...te-last-night/

Last edited by redguard57; 06-02-2016 at 04:01 PM..

Old 06-02-2016, 07:20 PM

13,264 posts, read 7,316,697 times
I would not hesitate to shoot anyone who broke into my home to commit any crime. In my state if someone climbs though a window and is going though your things even if they are not armed you can shoot them without penalty as it should be. You see people have a choice in life live in a civil manner or not that. If you run out in front of traffic eventually be killed. If you are a drug addict eventually you get killed. It's no one else fault and no one should feel guilty or sad about that person. I feel sad for that person's family because he has brought pain on them for his actions. I feel the death penalty is a good method to solve a problem with someone who is dangerous to society. Some people who go pass a line of what we accept as civil behavior just need to be killed it's natures way of fixing a problem. I would bet not one person on this forum who is against the death penalty has ever experienced a violent killing or rape of a loved one in their family. It's easy for you to say your against the death penalty when you have never experienced a child raped and killed. It's not about revenge it to make sure this person doesn't influence anyone else, or get out of prison to kill again. Look at serial killers they lay around on death row and get famous making tv shows and movies with details on their gruesome ways they tortured and killed. That influences others who also think how they will get their 5 minutes of fame if they do the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates