Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 09:11 AM

2,853 posts, read 2,311,315 times

Advertisements

One of the central findings of human psychology is that everyone has biases, particularly biases based on social groups. I'm sure there are many biases, but among the biggest are:
1) We are naturally more likely to favor people that we can related to.
2) We all look for patterns and tend to generalize from them (some good: shy people are more introspective, some bad: men are more violent, some neutral: men are taller than women).

To some extent these are a naturally occuring function of human nature. But, obviously they can have big downsides. If people like to favor people like themseleves that sometime gets in the way of hiring the best person for the job or maybe if I'm a female teacher I might give girls a little more attention since I can identify with them more.

Say I'm looking to fill a job and I'm evaluating two candidates. One attended an Evangelical Christian college and I think Evangelical Christians are anti-gay and might not work well with gay staffers. I can point to opinion surveys that prove that on average Evangelical Christians hold more negative views of homosexuality than the general population. So it is not a baseless stereotype. But, does merely being a member of a broad social group mean this person will by definition have issues with co-workers? Of course not. There are lots of Evangelical Christians who whatever their personal beliefs work just fine with gay people.

So while biases maybe part of human nature, they can also be unfair and lead to bad decision making. What can be done to help eliminate them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 09:33 PM

610 posts, read 535,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
One of the central findings of human psychology is that everyone has biases, particularly biases based on social groups. I'm sure there are many biases, but among the biggest are:
1) We are naturally more likely to favor people that we can related to.
2) We all look for patterns and tend to generalize from them (some good: shy people are more introspective, some bad: men are more violent, some neutral: men are taller than women).

To some extent these are a naturally occuring function of human nature. But, obviously they can have big downsides. If people like to favor people like themseleves that sometime gets in the way of hiring the best person for the job or maybe if I'm a female teacher I might give girls a little more attention since I can identify with them more.

Say I'm looking to fill a job and I'm evaluating two candidates. One attended an Evangelical Christian college and I think Evangelical Christians are anti-gay and might not work well with gay staffers. I can point to opinion surveys that prove that on average Evangelical Christians hold more negative views of homosexuality than the general population. So it is not a baseless stereotype. But, does merely being a member of a broad social group mean this person will by definition have issues with co-workers? Of course not. There are lots of Evangelical Christians who whatever their personal beliefs work just fine with gay people.

So while biases maybe part of human nature, they can also be unfair and lead to bad decision making. What can be done to help eliminate them?

Nothing at all. Neither you nor I nor anyone else has a right to interfere with our personal thoughts, beliefs and biases. Sorry that's human nature.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:46 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,568,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
Nothing at all. Neither you nor I nor anyone else has a right to interfere with our personal thoughts, beliefs and biases. Sorry that's human nature.
I agree and want to add that in this day and age we are being forced to believe things we don't. This overly PC country is shaming and practicing a form of mind control that is part evil and part scary.

When people can be who they are without fear of recrimination and we learn to accept people's opinions that differ from ours, THEN we can rid ourselves of biases.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:19 PM

24,573 posts, read 18,367,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I agree and want to add that in this day and age we are being forced to believe things we don't. This overly PC country is shaming and practicing a form of mind control that is part evil and part scary.

When people can be who they are without fear of recrimination and we learn to accept people's opinions that differ from ours, THEN we can rid ourselves of biases.
I disagree about the "forced to believe" part.

My beliefs are my beliefs. What I can't do is voice a number of them since they're not politically correct beliefs. I'm also not going to voice a contrarian opinion about something in a room full of people I know have a different view. No different from announcing I'm a Red Sox/Patriots fan in a New York bar.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:48 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,568,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I disagree about the "forced to believe" part.

Well, fair enough. What I mean is that here in Portland it is a violently elitist liberal city. If a store owner makes any sort of disparaging remarks about gays (for example) they lose their business and the state fines in excess of $300,000 (yes, it happens here). As a result, business owners are scared to death of voicing their beliefs on any issue (like global warming, abortion...) that may cost them their livelihood.

That's what I meant. maybe I used poorly chosen words.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:11 PM

366 posts, read 495,054 times
Let me say this, as a person with a MA in anthropology, biases are generally a good thing. They are a cultural and genetic adaption that has proven very useful and withstood the test of time.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:03 PM

24,573 posts, read 18,367,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post
Let me say this, as a person with a MA in anthropology, biases are generally a good thing. They are a cultural and genetic adaption that has proven very useful and withstood the test of time.
Can you explain the genetic part of bias? I would have thought bias is close to 100% cultural/environmental.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:24 PM

366 posts, read 495,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Can you explain the genetic part of bias? I would have thought bias is close to 100% cultural/environmental.
Studies have shown infants (once they can see) react differently to various races as well as stimuli (animals). There appears to some innate markers that are not taught and are simply innate. the studies I recall (going back decades now) indicated it was no as simple as the caregiver looking a certain way race, there was predisposition to their own race as well as the race of a caregiver.

Cheers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates