Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 05:08 PM

199 posts, read 176,373 times

Advertisements

Everywhere you turn, young people seem to be adopting old fashioned dress styles, old architecture, old nrighborhoods, barber shops,old retro designs, knick knacks. Anything that is old-fashioned or retro is "hip" and "cool". Previous generations seem to have had their own stuff while it seems to be like this current generation reaches back to the past more than others. Do they think that those times were more idyllic, more prosperous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 05:18 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,014 times
It could be possible. But I don't think it's really that they think the future will be bad (though 2016 has been rough...). Nostalgia is a thing that every human has to put up with and it's not necessarily coming from a source of discontent with the present or future.

Another thing to consider is how art and design just work. If you look at trends in fashion, for example, you'll notice how things from the past tend to come back, though maybe with some slight updates. This is pretty consistently true since the early 20th century to the present.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:18 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Not really. Previous generations didn't "have their own stuff", not exclusively. People in most generations have been into antiques. Old architecture? Are you serious?? Old architecture is fabulous, high quality often, full of what realtors call "old world charm". That stuff has always been popular. A couple of my Boomer relatives are really into antique cars. Those have always had appeal for some people.

Much ado about nothing. I don't see an issue. Millennials seem normal in that regard.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:17 AM

510 posts, read 499,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatpenny View Post
Everywhere you turn, young people seem to be adopting old fashioned dress styles, old architecture, old nrighborhoods, barber shops,old retro designs, knick knacks. Anything that is old-fashioned or retro is "hip" and "cool". Previous generations seem to have had their own stuff while it seems to be like this current generation reaches back to the past more than others. Do they think that those times were more idyllic, more prosperous?
Fashions cycle every 20 years, old architecture and old neighborhoods always have had fans (would Paris be the same if we razed all the old buildings and rebuilt it to look like Neo-Tokyo?). Barber shops have been around since, oh the middle ages, so certainly nothing new about it, however the high-end barbershop is definitely a new trend (expensive hair cuts for men not catering toward Yuppies), old retro designs (nostalgia is big business).

This generation has its own unique technology like the iphone, super thin and high definition TVs, smart appliances and robots. There is also the trend to simplify technology (think one button) rather than the 90s 10K button monstrosity.

Personally I don't think this generation is doing anything different than previous ones in terms of establishing its on "culture" but it takes around 20 years to look back and realize what they did differently.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:21 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,435,798 times
Antique stores have been around for a LONG time, so obviously appreciating old stuff is nothing new!

Old 07-29-2016, 10:45 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
We were raised in a throwaway society - buying clothes that will fall apart after a season, buying new when things fall apart (when's the last time you heard of a TV repair man?), and prepackaged everything. I think I've long been attracted to the antique and retro because very few things I own will last. They're not made to.

It has little do to with fear of the future.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:39 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,238,589 times
Every generation does this; it's far from a new thing. At least some portion of every generation. All styles are cyclical.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:09 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,585,975 times
I'm not a millennial but i like most "old" things from the early 00s all the way back to the 60s. Why? because pop culture and most other things today suck to me and i can't see the future getting better it just gets worse.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:20 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,363,735 times
Nothing new. During the 1980s, the 1950s were hip. Penny loafers came back into style, cardigans and preppy shirts with popped collars... The Victorian era was quite popular during the 1980s--collecting Victorian antiques was popular. Victorian-style lace and bric-a-brac were popular.

In the 1990s, the 1960s were trendy again. Now, the 1970s styles have enjoyed a bit of a revival. Recycling vintage trends is not new.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:02 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
This is news to me. I didn't know they wanted things from the past. All I keep hearing is that they don't want our bone china and our sterling silver, or 18th and 19th C antique furniture. I see them covering beautiful old furniture with chalk paint instead. They don't even seen to appreciate real wood furniture--they'd pay more to get something poorly made that won't last. Ikea.

As everyone has already said, generations always want some nostalgia, the toys of their childhood, for instance. What scares me is that the millennials don't seem to appreciate real workmanship and quality. I don't seen them appreciating houses that were built in the 1700s, for instance or real antiques like old gate leg tables and banister back chairs. Would they really be interested in touring historic areas of Boston or climbing aboard Old Ironsides or the replica of the Mayflower? Buying an old but solid fixer upper house instead of tearing it down and building a MacMansion?

Usually we tend to reject the styles our parents liked and to embrace the styles of our grandparents (rejecting our parents' generation as a form of rebellion in order to establish our own identity.)

If the millennials are really starting to appreciate history and quality, that's great news! Tell us more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates