Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 01:46 PM

997 posts, read 937,346 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't judge another person for making that choice. I think it depends on the kids, and the family culture.

In my family, it was a non-issue because my kids don't drink or smoke pot. They are adults now and they can make their own decisions but they chose the party free zone.

What is right for one family, may not be the best choice for another. It is a personal decision that one would make based on their individual situation and their own judgment.

If you know that your children likely have the alcoholic gene then you should inform them of that. I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 01:48 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
My aunt used to allow my cousins to nip at dinner when they were younger,my mother didn't let us. The cousins grew up with some drinking problems,we did not.

Thanks for sharing your anecdote.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:08 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
The same fire that melts butter hardens iron. 7 kids in my family. Two alcoholics/addicts, one dead, one sober. Another bro who sometimes binge-drinks still at 50 but doesn't drink every day. Two who drink moderately. Two who don't drink any alcohol by choice/for health reasons.

Parents rarely drank. Maybe a "highball" at a wedding or on holidays, and Dad might've had a beer at the VFW meeting. Neither were ever intoxicated.

There is no clear pattern outside of genetic predispositions.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:38 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Seriously, anyone that does this is asking for trouble. There is no logic for breaking the law regarding pot for your child to experiment.

You may be teaching them a lesson alright, when you are charged with possession and felonious child endangerment and your kids are removed from your home.

Alcohol, why not teach your children that they do not need alcohol to enjoy themselves, by modeling a sober example for them.
To say the least...

Old 08-07-2016, 04:08 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
hell no, you not much of a parent if you do, your job is to protect the kids, not encourage them, no matter how safe you feel it is.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:14 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Seriously, anyone that does this is asking for trouble. There is no logic for breaking the law regarding pot for your child to experiment.

You may be teaching them a lesson alright, when you are charged with possession and felonious child endangerment and your kids are removed from your home.

Alcohol, why not teach your children that they do not need alcohol to enjoy themselves, by modeling a sober example for them.
I don't think they still do this, but as recent as a few years ago the Belgians were giving some targeted elementary school children tafelbier, which is a low abv%-age beer (1.5-2.5%). The idea was hatched in an attempt to help prevent childhood obesity. They figured that this low abv% beer was healthier than sugary sodas or fruit drinks.

I dunno. I think its true that some people are predisposed to alcoholism and drug addiction. For those people, any experimentation can be dangerous. But, for the rest of us, early introduction to alcohol and education re responsible drinking seems a no-brainer in terms of a good idea.

Drugs are a different story. I think. As much as I favour legalisation of marijuana, and as much as I agree it is ridiculous to outlaw weed while allowing booze and tobacco, people need to understand what exactly weed does to people.

Personally, I look forward to retirement and smoking weed. But, I'd have a difficult time staying a good parent and husband and employee if I were smoking weed now.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:03 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
It's definitely better for a kid to try this with a parent than with someone else. I think it should be perfectly legal. However, the parent is liable for any harm or emergencies caused by this. That seems simple enough to me. Pot will be legalized in all 50 states by the time I die. I really believe/hope that. Like most things, when consumed responsibly and in moderation, pot is perfectly safe. Just like alcohol. The "moral conservative" ideal is dying out (which is just amazing for the thinking population) and the double standards will soon follow.
If there's anything that will discourage them from continuing to use it, that's got to be high on the list.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:14 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
My dad kept beer in the refrigerator for me and my brother as a way to keep us away from drugs.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:17 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Introducing your child to alcohol at a younger age does not make them an alcoholic, nor does it NOT make them an alcoholic. A few sips here and there, a half a glass of wine here and there or a bottle of beer here and there... Makes no difference. They either have the alcholic gene or they don't.

With marijuana, I think it's a parent's choice if they want to smoke up their teens or not.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:17 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My dad kept beer in the refrigerator for me and my brother as a way to keep us away from drugs.
Did it work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates