Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 07:10 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Actually, MGTOW is a compliment to feminism. I have nothing against women and think sexism is, alas, very much a part of this world. I do not like how I walk around late without fear of being raped but women generally can not. I do not like how women get shamed for enjoying the same sexuality men are expected to and don't even get me started on the treatment of women in some parts of the world...

but oh, yes, I am a sexist dog because I refuse to go out-of-my way to have sex

We want equality too. Just as women no longer have to be housewives for some man (thank GOD) we men should no longer be expected to be boyfriends or husbands for some woman as a matter of course (thank GOD)
This reply is very mature and appears somewhat self-aware, but you've missed my point about the website. If you want to be single and asexual (not hetero, not homo, not bi, just... self sufficient) then go for it. Some people will think you are crazy, and others will try to pressure you into some form of relationship. Ignore them and live your own life how you choose. I've had a few bad relationships and I'm an introvert (not shy, I just enjoy my alone time), so I can see the advantage of going your own way.

But that site isn't about that. It's about demonizing women. I've found the best way to truly understand any movement, to truly understand what motivates the members, is to find out what they find funny. Kinda like Trump's current attempts at courting minorities for the general election while his supporters share raciest and Islamophobic jokes on Facebook. People can put a legitimate face on the most extremist views, but if you can figure out what type of jokes they laugh at and pass amongst themselves you can see the truth. In the case of the MGTOW website, just go to the "laughs" page: https://www.mgtow.com/posters/

Seriously... go there, and while reading those jokes, try and convince yourself that the people who posted them do not like how women cannot walk late at night without fear of being raped or "do not like how women get shamed for enjoying the same sexuality men are expected to".

Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a self-aware, enlightened, asexual male. Think of a monk or a "Zen master". maybe that's you, maybe not. But if you are so filled with hate or self-doubt whatever that you can't even talk to a women (like someone else I responded to earlier in this thread) then you are not Zen.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:51 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:

Why is this such a taboo position to bring up? Why is this the one thing in society we are not allowed to question, whether out loud or, often, among others? I am not trolling or attacking any individual, just being honest here.

I have come to the conclusion that intimacy just isn't worth it...why is that such an outright evil thing to say or discuss?
Because you're trying to make a case that going against the entire law of nature is normal.

It's NOT.

The BRAIN is wired for survival of the species. Even elephants live in family formations for life.

Like a sled dog team delivering food and medication in the arctic. There are leaders, middle support individuals, individuals who bring up the rear, and someone who oversees the strategy (the human).

Then there are those who sit on the sidelines and watch for their crap to be delivered - who benefit from the outcomes that the rest of society achieves by putting up with each other. (That's you)

There are individuals who become an intimate functional life saving group - like the military, police dept, fire dept - typically led in smaller groups by some strong achievers. Then there are those who sit around reaping the benefits of the group contributing nothing and complaining about minutia. People who don't even vote. People who have no clue what's going on in their state, country or the world. People who think they "know things" by reading a headline from a corrupt source.

"WHO would risk their lives for others so that they may survive?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReRcHdeUG9Y

I don't even understand your theory. You're conflating yapping on the internet with "intimate relationships"? Or is this some coded language for complaining about dating.

The internet is a public square that you put YOUR OPINION out on and other people respond. That's the entire point - to engage other people.

There are sites which require a registration and following terms of service. There are sites which are supposed to be on a specific topic (like pet birds) and if people join and derail the site (troll, spam) - they get banned and comments removed. They are private.

NO living being other than some fish, I guess, can survive without another being - starting with the turtle eggs carefully buried in a particular spot where they have the best chance to hatch and live. Or a baby when it's born. For that matter, even some plant life can't survive without being POLLINATED. The goal of every living organism, including plants, is to create offspring for the next generation.

You'd never make it to adulthood where you can choose what/who/how to live with others.

Maybe you're being ignored or shunned because of silly hyperbole "almost sent to prison" for not wanting intimate relationships.

How is this even a thing, anyway?

So don't have any. Nobody cares. BUT don't come knocking on my door when TSHTF. Might be a better strategy to straighten out your brain chemicals a la Simon Sinek.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-23-2016 at 08:22 AM..

Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 AM

14 posts, read 8,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
This reply is very mature and appears somewhat self-aware, but you've missed my point about the website. If you want to be single and asexual (not hetero, not homo, not bi, just... self sufficient) then go for it. Some people will think you are crazy, and others will try to pressure you into some form of relationship. Ignore them and live your own life how you choose. I've had a few bad relationships and I'm an introvert (not shy, I just enjoy my alone time), so I can see the advantage of going your own way.

But that site isn't about that. It's about demonizing women. I've found the best way to truly understand any movement, to truly understand what motivates the members, is to find out what they find funny. Kinda like Trump's current attempts at courting minorities for the general election while his supporters share raciest and Islamophobic jokes on Facebook. People can put a legitimate face on the most extremist views, but if you can figure out what type of jokes they laugh at and pass amongst themselves you can see the truth. In the case of the MGTOW website, just go to the "laughs" page: https://www.mgtow.com/posters/

Seriously... go there, and while reading those jokes, try and convince yourself that the people who posted them do not like how women cannot walk late at night without fear of being raped or "do not like how women get shamed for enjoying the same sexuality men are expected to".

Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a self-aware, enlightened, asexual male. Think of a monk or a "Zen master". maybe that's you, maybe not. But if you are so filled with hate or self-doubt whatever that you can't even talk to a women (like someone else I responded to earlier in this thread) then you are not Zen.
I don't care what what people laugh at on mgtow and i'm not trying to be zen just me, and anybody who doesn't like it that's their problem to deal with.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
I make a very nice chunk of change...I was surprised when my latest job took my first offer

I have everything I need: apartment in the middle of everything, video games, a cat, cannabis etc.

I will never have to pay child support, alimony or any of the endless bills that come with having children. Wealth is relative after all. A single man making $50,000 a year with no debt is better off than a married man with five kids making $100,000 a year.
So you are an active drug user. That explains much. You are in no position to know your own mind, since you spend time evading and escaping from its contents with the help of narcotics. Romantic love and productive achievement are non-negotiable if happiness is your goal. However, being a druggie has to be taken care of before you even worry about happiness. I recommend a drug addiction program for starters. We can discuss the rest later.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
OP, if you don't want intimacy or have the need to share your life with a partner, I applaud your honesty and self awareness. Some people aren't interested in or capable of intimacy with another person. Marriage isn't for everyone.
Capable of. That's the key thing. Being incapable in this department is a mental illness, not a choice or a virtue. Romantic love and productive achievement are essential to the happiness of a human being. All human beings. If one is unable due to illness or defect to pursue and enjoy that which is basic and essential and fundamental and primary to our species, then one has a big problem and should seek professional assistance in solving that problem.

If not, bitterness and anxiety and insecurity and ineffectuality are going to be the result, and THAT will be a choice, since an alternative is possible with treatment.

The use of narcotics as an escape is notable in this case. You don't escape from something that is worthwhile. You escape from something that causes suffering. In this case, life, and in this case, a life with the conscious conviction that its most basic needs are going to be arbitrarily and irrationally declared unnecessary.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:38 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
So you are an active drug user. That explains much. You are in no position to know your own mind, since you spend time evading and escaping from its contents with the help of narcotics. Romantic love and productive achievement are non-negotiable if happiness is your goal. However, being a druggie has to be taken care of before you even worry about happiness. I recommend a drug addiction program for starters. We can discuss the rest later.
I can see productivity but romantic love? Tell that to an exhasperated divorcee who just got out of a long unhappy marriage.

Last edited by Ro2113; 08-23-2016 at 09:01 AM..

Old 08-23-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I can see productivity but romantic love? Tell that to an exhasperated divorcee who just got out of a long unhappy marriage.
Yeah, you need that too. Romantic love is a primary of life, even when you are 80. However, exiting a bad relationship will require some healing time and introspection and self-reflection. You need to determine why you made a bad choice and what you did wrong. But when that is finished and the lessons are learned? Time to go to the mall and start shopping!

Old 08-23-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Yeah, you need that too. Romantic love is a primary of life, even when you are 80. However, exiting a bad relationship will require some healing time and introspection and self-reflection. You need to determine why you made a bad choice and what you did wrong. But when that is finished and the lessons are learned? Time to go to the mall and start shopping!
Romantic love is a choice most people decide to partake in. Which of course is fine and wonderful. But is not having it potentially lethal like going without food and water or shelter? Yeah I didn't think so.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Romantic love is a choice most people decide to partake in. Which of course is fine and wonderful. But is not having it potentially lethal like going without food and water or shelter? Yeah I didn't think so.
Actually it is lethal in a sense. Lethal to happiness and living your life at its highest and best. One can live in a prison cell without much of anything and survive until old age and death. A plant can live in a suboptimal location and experience its days as a withered and yellowed presence. Alive? Yes. But not really.

One can live without romantic love biologically. We see lonely old people everywhere. We see lonely young people everywhere. But it's not optimal and it's not the ideal. It's a settlement, a compromise, and something to be corrected, not tolerated. Unless you want to be withered and yellowed...

Old 08-23-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Actually it is lethal in a sense. Lethal to happiness and living your life at its highest and best. One can live in a prison cell without much of anything and survive until old age and death. A plant can live in a suboptimal location and experience its days as a withered and yellowed presence. Alive? Yes. But not really.

One can live without romantic love biologically. We see lonely old people everywhere. We see lonely young people everywhere. But it's not optimal and it's not the ideal. It's a settlement, a compromise, and something to be corrected, not tolerated. Unless you want to be withered and yellowed...
Again all is merely your opinion something that you in particular tend to forget on these forums. Besides the fact that we as human beings are responsible for our own happiness we have other relationships we can tend to and enjoy. And that isn't even mentioning those who are in romantic relationships tend to be poor partners whether it is due to their own infidelity, neglecting their S/O, having control issues and the like. Apparently for people like that, romantic relationships have not enhanced their lives or made them happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates