Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 07:34 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Friday View Post
Amidst all the debate, one thing springs to my mind: I cannot be the only one who cringes in horror when seeing those supposedly "cute" photos of very young babies snuggled up, face-to-snout with a dog (any dog). It's not cute to me. It's dangerous, no matter the breed, past temperament or degree of training. A friend of mine sent out a photo of her Cocker Spaniel curled against her 3-month-old baby, who was wrapped up in the dog's legs. Terrifies me.
Your not.
I have owned a lot of dogs over my years including multiple Rotties, chow, pitts, GSD and various and sundry breeds and mixed breeds. Most of my dogs have been/are as trustworthy as any dog could be but I would never, ever lay a baby with one of them or let a child near their face or leave a child alone with them. Sadly people forget or dont understand that they are dogs and not furry humans but just like humans they have the capacity to snap, to be triggered by something an act out of character, become aggressive and cause harm not out of willful malice but instincts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 08:38 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Your not.
I have owned a lot of dogs over my years including multiple Rotties, chow, pitts, GSD and various and sundry breeds and mixed breeds. Most of my dogs have been/are as trustworthy as any dog could be but I would never, ever lay a baby with one of them or let a child near their face or leave a child alone with them. Sadly people forget or dont understand that they are dogs and not furry humans but just like humans they have the capacity to snap, to be triggered by something an act out of character, become aggressive and cause harm not out of willful malice but instincts.
Couldn't agree more. A baby daughter of one of my mother's friends was badly disfigured by their St. Bernard after the baby bit the dog's tongue. That breed often lets their tongues hang out of their mouth.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:42 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
[quote=2mares;45876464]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Yes, in the beginning. As well pups from these wolves were domesticated but there has been centuries of selective breeding and domestication to get the hundreds of dog breeds we have now and as well develop desired traits. Where I believe modern dog is well removed from the wolf, dog still retains its primal instincts. As I believe humans do. Some more so than others.

Of course. Dogs are inbreed or crossbred to achieve desired traits. Some are genetically more aggressive and others are more dangerous just by their physical size and strength. IMO chihuahuas and some other small dogs are more aggressive than a APT, which were actually bred NOT to be aggressive, but given the difference in their size, strength and tenacity the APT is more dangerous. If chihuahuas were large, muscular dogs they would be quite the contender.

I agree. Children too.
Me and a buddy used to joke that pound for pound a Chuaua is the most viscious dog, and what would happen if we put ones brain in a much bigger dog, and it realized it was 40x bigger than it used to be.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Your not.
It seems like outside of a few cases, med-large dogs are good with/tollerate/ aware that kids and babies are kids and babies. The smaller dogs seem to hate kids and though a few larger dogs have mauled/killed a few kids, I'm certain that attacks, and bites from smaller dogs out number them. I have an uncle...or my moms uncle...most of us call him uncle anyway, has had a Rott named shiela forever, she seemed to be tempermental but not really. Never heard her barknor growl, she mostly roamed around the back yard and laid around. The reason I say tempermental because I would pet her whenever she got close, I was a kid, he said I shouldn't bother her too much, but she never as much growled or wagged her tail...just seemingly indifference. We only ever eent over during cookouts, so she wasn't bothered by a lot of people either.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:18 AM

I think the factors are:
Owner
Inbreeding
crossbreeding

Some people are crappy owners, inbreeding which happens a lot with pitt bulls, well dogs aren't supposed to be inbred, you end up with things like kid killers and teacup chuahahas. Mixing certain breeds, can cause aggressiveness, and some dogs(dalmations) get onry as they age, especially they don't see well, or something.

I had a boarder collie and as she got older, she started to hate kids, especially being crowded around her, and she's been to parks, even off leash countless times. She didn't like certain dogs as she got older. It was kinda hard keeping kids away from her, she had to get aclimated first, you couldn't just walk up and pet her. I miss that dog, we grew up together, she could be so snarky sometimes,anybody else have their dog give them backtalk?

Old 12-16-2016, 11:22 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Classic nature vs nurture. Nurture seems to have a majority affect, and yet there are a smaller percentage of instances, in which nature overrides the nurture effect completely.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:35 AM

19,499 posts, read 9,528,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
You know the saying when ever a dog like a "pitt bull" attacks somebody or mauls a child to death

people keep saying they're not bad dogs just bad owners?

What about bad kids / people that do very bad things? crime/ theft / violence / other

does the same rules apply? there are no bad people just bad parents / upbringing?

because Ive heard of stories about kids from good upbringing / good families & morals / church going / law abiding parents, but the kids still often end up growing up to be bad people?

so you cant always blame bad behavior on the pet owner / parents.

it seems some animals / people are just born bad / no good people
Or... the kid could turn out good even if his/her parents are bad

If, the parents were super good, it's still possible if the kid does something bad - other influences are present. I've heard the saying, something similar to "love the kid but don't like what they did".

I'm beginning to think of that movie Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy was in and the $1.00 bet by the Duke brothers.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:57 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Trading places.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:49 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
I was a failure as a parent when my kid was 17. By the time he was 21 my grade had improved.

Kids have more external stimuli outside the home than dogs do.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:40 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,667,281 times
While upbringing in the case of children and socialization and training in the case of dogs are both HUGE factors in the end result I think genetic plays a significant role in both along with the mental stability of the individual in question.

The ocassional truly "bad seed" inspite of the best efforts is probably suffering from some type of compromised/abnormal brain functioning/chemistry that effects reasoning and impulse control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates