Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2016, 11:02 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Is that proven? And weren't ethics a bit different back in the day?
Yes, it's proven. Someone did an experiment, sending AA applicants, then White applicants to his apt. bldgs., and guess who was told the vacancies had been filled, and who was welcomed in? It was in the news.
"Back in the day"? Back in what day? This was earlier this year, 2016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa;
A voice, absolutely. Power, commensurate with their numbers, sure. But not power enhanced by threat or use of violence.
Right, because, you know, we wouldn't want them to start burning crosses on anyone's lawn....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa;
I don't know what "AA" is but the size of the "place at the table" does relate to accomplishment. Or it should.
African American/s. What? It should? In the Gospel According to Jbgusa, you mean? I have news for you; the US Constitution says it doesn't. You don't seem to support American values. Are you sure you wouldn't be happier living somewhere else?

Old 12-22-2016, 11:07 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
African American/s. What? It should? In the Gospel According to Jbgusa? I have news for you; the US Constitution says it doesn't.
The U.S. Constitution mandates freedom of speech, religion, public assembly and the right to vote. The U.S. Constitution mandates equal protection of the laws. Equal, not preferable. U.S. Constitution forbids slavery.

The U.S. Constitution does not mandate equality of result.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
The U.S. Constitution mandates freedom of speech, religion, public assembly and the right to vote. The U.S. Constitution mandates equal protection of the laws. Equal, not preferable. U.S. Constitution forbids slavery.

The U.S. Constitution does not mandate equality of result.
You're changing the subject of that exchange. It was about whether "a seat at the table" depended on any demographic group having to "earn" it through "accomplishments". You were under the mistaken belief that it should.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:14 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're changing the subject of that exchange. It was about whether "a seat at the table" depended on any demographic group having to "earn" it through "accomplishments". You were under the mistaken belief that it should.
By "seat at the table" I mean real influence and participation in dialogue. Certainly that was an entitlement after WW II. People who don't believe that are racists.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:26 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,016,059 times
Most of us are capable of recognizing racists when we encounter them.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
By "seat at the table" I mean real influence and participation in dialogue. Certainly that was an entitlement after WW II. People who don't believe that are racists.
Why was it an entitlement, and what did WWII have to do with it?

Old 12-22-2016, 12:22 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Great question, and therein lies my point. When are minorities going to start taking ownership of their own decisions and the problems they create in their communities? Blaming whitey just isn't gonna cut it anymore. "We drop out because of unequal school funding". " We commit crime because we can't get a job; whites discriminate against us". "I'm 22, I have three illegitimate kids because my great-great-grandmother's uncle was a slave"... or whatever other reason liberals want to dream up for them. Their excuses are falling on deaf ears now.
Perhaps the phrase "deaf and dumb" (though different than the original meaning) is appropriate here.

I am reminded of the scene in "A Christmas Carol" when the Ghost Of Christmas Present sweeps back the skirts of his huge robe and reveals two starving children and says, "They are Man's,' said the Spirit...And they cling to me, appealing from their fathers. This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased...`Are there no prisons.' said the Spirit, turning on him for the last time with his own words. `Are there no workhouses.' The bell struck twelve."

Old 12-22-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I'm intrigued. Explain yourself.
What's to explain? There are many neighborhoods across this country where Blacks have either fully integrated, as well as others where Blacks predominate and the neighborhoods are made up of fine, middle class Americans who just happen to be Blacks, many of them professionals. Take, for example, the pretty much all-Black neighborhood around Kettering Middle School in Prince George's County, Maryland. Lots of other examples, as well.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Do people have a choice about impregnating another person when neither they nor the mother have the financial or emotional resources to raise the offspring? Is it someone elses choice that the offspring grow up feral?

Whose choice was it for the children to be born when the mother had no plan or intention to raise the kid? Could the kid not have been placed for adoption if the mother lacked any child-raising ability?

Whose choice was it for the children to be born when the mother had no plan or intention to raise the kid? Could the kid not have been placed for adoption if the mother lacked any child-raising ability?

Do the underclass avail themselves of the opportunities that they have? Did this kid, discussed in this thread, 16 year old high school student boxes his teacher and this news article, Philadelphia student caught on camera in a violent fist-fight with his teacher | Daily Mail Online, have a choice: (a) about coming to class late; and/or (b) responding with extreme violence? As for poverty, during the Depression people sold apples on the street. They didn't have their children beat their teachers senseless. And as for mental health, the liberals are allergic to compulsory treatment and in some cases compulsory institutionalization. The issue of mental health is raised only in connection with enforcement. When people such as myself want people to be forced to accept the treatment they need we hear about dignity and self respect.

My point is that people with a liberal mind-bent block any solution other than allowing the dystopian status quo. That is why Trump unfortunately got elected.
For much of what you have written I could ask the same of poverty-stricken White families in West Virginia's coal country in Appalachia where meth has become a cottage industry.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Is that proven? And weren't ethics a bit different back in the day?

A voice, absolutely. Power, commensurate with their numbers, sure. But not power enhanced by threat or use of violence.

I don't know what "AA" is but the size of the "place at the table" does relate to accomplishment. Or it should.
With that little gem people try to excuse slavery and Jim Crow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates