Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 01:04 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times

Advertisements

I think that true integration was well on its way in the 70's, 80's and 90's. It took, I think, the extreme wake-up calls of events such as the Watts riot to make many whites see that "it [segregation and discrimination] has always been this way and that's just the way things are" was not right, not fair, and just downright hateful -- and that to persist in the idea of white superiority was just going to create more bad times for everyone. In other words, I think most (or at least many) whites started seeing integration as being in their own self-interest. Then, as many more racial and cultural minorities started making true inroads in careers and achieved economic success and proved themselves to be at least the equal of whites, many more whites abandoned their racist, bigoted attitudes.

But then it became apparent that many people (of ALL races, btw) were just not able and/or willing to do what was necessary to succeed in the way that many of those in the white upper and middle class world define success -- meaning, that they were not willing to forego immediate pleasure for long-range goals, to obey the laws, get an education, get a good job, kowtow to bosses, pay their bills without government help, etc. -- they found themselves still in poverty and still being discriminated against. So, now, I think it is possible that many people think it would be easier/better for them to create their own society and rules instead of integrating and assimilating into what is still the majority and traditional culture of doing what one is "supposed" to do. I think that now and for the past 20 years or so, there has been more prejudice and discrimination based on socioeconomic class than on the color of one's skin (with many very notable exceptions, of course). I think that most whites would much rather live next door to a black accountant than to a chronically unemployed, drug abusing, and violent white person, for example.

In short, I think most people, no matter what race or culture they are, would rather be around people who share the same general values, attitudes, and ethics. However, as a white person, I, of course, cannot speak for a non-white (or any other person). All of what I wrote is just my opinion, and I could definitely be wrong.

Last edited by katharsis; 10-28-2016 at 01:20 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 05:29 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,234,324 times
MLK got what he wanted with the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act. The problem was, legislation did not change minds overnight. They supposedly (and legally) had their equal rights but were not treated as such.

Minorities are STILL not treated equally, most notably in their dealings with law enforcement and within the justice system. There are also a lot of subtle aspects that show racism is alive and well, and that the best kind of American to be is still a white male with money. That's the problem.

As a white male with money, I'd like to thank America for making my life easier.

To put this into perspective, about half the times I've dealt with police, they said "excuse me," or "sorry to pull you over, but you were doing XXX." The other times they just gave me a citation and sent me on my way, barely taking 5 minutes. When I go through border patrol crossings, no one ever asks if I'm American or not. I remember one time on a greyhound going north from south Texas that the Border Patrol agent smiled and laughed when I tried to show him my passport... but scrutinized the documents and was rude to the poor hispanic people also on the bus.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:31 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,541,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Can you explain your comment? Do minorities really have equality, are they treated the same as whites? Just because there are a bunch of laws on the books doesn't mean that people are treated the same in real life.
It has been my experience- from the military to living for 4 years in the south to working for the state of Oregon to corporate world that blacks get clear preference. But there is also a large subset that refuses to work or achieve due to cradle to grave welfare. It's a true catch-22. They have it all either way they go. SO I fail to see their ***** abut it all.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:34 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
MLK got what he wanted with the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act. The problem was, legislation did not change minds overnight. They supposedly (and legally) had their equal rights but were not treated as such.
It is true that legal equality did not translate into economic equality fast, However, neither did new immigrants to the U.S. at the turn of the last century. Lucre has to be earned. And when blacks, by and large abandoned two-parent families it severely impacted their offspring. Not surprising at all.

Quote:
Minorities are STILL not treated equally, most notably in their dealings with law enforcement and within the justice system.
Without rehashing the "violence" threads, there is some discrimination by law enforcement in making initial approaches to people of color than white people. I do know of a black high state governmental official who was investigating an area in his charge and the police interfered. It took the police unduly long to recognize that they had targeted someone who was only doing their job. That being said, anyone who responds to law enforcement with defiance risks serious harm. At Vancouver Airport in Canada a Polish son visiting his mother began acting irrationally. When he didn't obey officers' commands to stand down he was tazed. He died from the Tazor strikes.

Quote:
There are also a lot of subtle aspects that show racism is alive and well, and that the best kind of American to be is still a white male with money. That's the problem.

As a white male with money, I'd like to thank America for making my life easier.
That may be true but refusing to adopt cultural norms hasn't helped.

Quote:
To put this into perspective, about half the times I've dealt with police, they said "excuse me," or "sorry to pull you over, but you were doing XXX." The other times they just gave me a citation and sent me on my way, barely taking 5 minutes. When I go through border patrol crossings, no one ever asks if I'm American or not. I remember one time on a greyhound going north from south Texas that the Border Patrol agent smiled and laughed when I tried to show him my passport... but scrutinized the documents and was rude to the poor hispanic people also on the bus.
Minorities as a group need to focus on getting their people to become Americans rather than asserting their identities constantly. When that happens fewer people who did nothing wrong will be victimized.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:40 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,269 times
Quote:
Thank your parents for making the money, and white men in general for behaving themselves so that people are not on their guard when they see you.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Thank your parents for making the money, and white men in general for behaving themselves so that people are not on their guard when they see you.
Perfect, politically incorrect and true. I repped this post.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:36 PM

98 posts, read 145,446 times
I love when White people say that people who are "integrated" need to "accept social order" or "social norms" and stop bring up inequality/"complaining" cuz we're all equal. LOL. (a deeply hearty, saddened, yet mocking LOL) Do you know what you sound like?

Old 10-29-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Millionaire7 View Post
I love when White people say that people who are "integrated" need to "accept social order" or "social norms" and stop bring up inequality/"complaining" cuz we're all equal. LOL. (a deeply hearty, saddened, yet mocking LOL) Do you know what you sound like?
And why should society accept people who decide it's a great idea to punch out a school principal or defy a policeman's orders?

Old 10-29-2016, 12:33 AM

98 posts, read 145,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
And why should society accept people who decide it's a great idea to punch out a school principal or defy a policeman's orders?
You're kind of avoiding the point of the sarcasm. And due to this response, I would take a gander I don't agree with your view of "society" also. It almost seems like you're referencing past news stories concerning Black people as if it their actions go against your view of "accepted social order" and "social norms." That could be seen as a low level form of trolling. ;-)

Old 10-29-2016, 04:16 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,516 times
Identity politics has destroyed this country. The Left has divided up people into various victim groups and focus their lack of success or perceived injustice against the majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates