Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2016, 04:39 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Do you know that some fresh HS graduates carry a calculator with them at all times?
Ah, so you were taking about HIGH SCHOOL graduates. Interesting. I'm sure you've heard the story about Albert Einstein not knowing his own phone number. Supposedly when questioned about it, he declared that he didn't want to clutter his mind with things he could just look up whenever he needed them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 04:43 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Last year, during my twins Freshman year at HS; the AP English teacher assigned them to write a Critical Analysis of ... "Any work of fiction ... NOT authored by a white man".
Impressive. Being asked to step outside their comfort zone at a tender age.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:05 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Would someone please explain to me how teaching a student in Algebra I could possibly indoctrinate a student? (common core math where you replace algebra with integrated math X, not indoctrination per say but is teaching nonsense)
Could someone please explain to me how teaching a chemistry student about the steps needed to perform a stoichiometry problem could possibly influence a student's religious beliefs? (do they even teach chemistry at public high schools anymore or is it more nonsense integrated science X)
Could someone please explain to me how a health science teacher performing a lesson on the gastrointestinal system could affect a student's political stance? (there is a lot of stuff in health that parents pitch a fit about; sex, HPV, vaccinations, etc), these are legitimate medical things that effect teens but bible belt wing nuts will claim its indoctrination, but then some schools start pushing the abortion agenda too so there is lots of room for shenanigans on both sides with this one)
Could someone please explain to me how an English teacher could threaten a student's moral beliefs by having them read Poe's "The Fall of the House of Usher"? (not sure I slept through English lol, though I do like finding interesting words now days)

The only possible place in which a teacher could have any potential influence or indoctrinate a student is in a History or Political Science class. And 95%+ of the students have close to zero interest in either of these topics. (BTW, I'm a 21+ year veteran of teaching science in public high schools). Political science is a BIG one and I think indoctrination is mostly refered to in liberal arts colleges where the focus is soft skills and politics. Though these are big deals because bad politics can result in a lot of very real very tangible suffering.

Indoctrination is too often used by ignorant people to describe something being taught that they disagree with, without having any clue as to why they do.

Bad politics can result in very real very tangle human suffering

Old 11-02-2016, 05:09 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,307 times
Quote:
Being a wife & a mother is not limiting. And women that did not want to be wife's & mother's were not held down & "forced" into that life.

Every family I have EVER known had an "old maid" aunt or two who never married & did just fine for themselves & were not a burden on society.

I've been a single working mom, a married working mom & a SAHM, all in the almost 31 years that I have been a mother & I PERSONALLY believe that the "Women can have it all" theme is a pile of crap. I'm ashamed to say that I actually believed these lies up until about 15 years ago.

Nothing has de-pedestalized both women & men more than the Feminist agenda (again; just my opinion).

I guess I'm just a social misfit; born way too late. Raised by old-fashioned parents (Silent Generation) who did not allow me to watch TV. My mother would say "Look at how they portray men on TV! Like meat-head bullys or hen-pecked buffoons ... how disrespectfull!"

Men matter. Fathers are important; why should they be reduced to the status of "sperm-donors"?

Unfortunatley, alot of the men my age bought into this indoctrination also. It's like they grew up being told "Women can do it all" ... So when they grew up, well; they started letting us.
They did not buy into the indoctrination they were wore down by dealing with an abundance of women who jumped on the feminist band wagon. Nothing is more exhausting for a man trying to date in a post feminist society. Also the risks of having a kid in a post feminist society have gotten staggering, all it takes is the woman having some kind of change of heart or bumping her head and he can loose it all in divorce court with child support and division of assets.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:21 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I am sure anyone on here have seen this claim that Schools indoctrinate students for a while now. My two questions are why do people claim that and how do these schools that are alleged to do it, do it? I've seen this claim yet do not get proof behind this claim.
If you support Democratic candidate then you have been indoctrinated by Ultra Liberal Teachers. If you support Republican candidates then you clear of mind and are wise in the ways of the world...

Time to home school to get our kids back to thinking like their parents.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:29 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,297,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
HS are bad, but Universities are even worse. There is so much cramming of soon to be forgotten stuff, so much anxiety, so much conformity in order to pass and forget, I don't believe many university students are subject to indoctrination, all the BS will be forgotten no matter its bias, behavioral conditioning will remain. University students develop ideological biases according to their employment prospects. The dimmer the prospects are the more left leaning self-indoctrination becomes, and then a decent corporate job pans out which triggers conditioned readjustment of views and biased according to the new employment circumstance.
Have you been spying on my classroom? You definitely have your finger on the pulse of academia. I spend four years tirelessly trying to indoctrinate each of my undergraduate chemistry students with radical left wing marxism and wicca transgenderism, but then much to my chagrin they become doctors or engineers with 6 figure paychecks and suddenly discover the bible, trickle-down economic theory, the second amendment, and Ayn Rand.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:46 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post

I'm a part of the Silent Generation. My wife is the same age I am. We don't see ourselves in any of the stories of Laura Ingalls Wilder.
Well; thats an eerily odd statement. Or maybe you are super intuitive.

My mother is first-generation American born Greek & she used to hand-sew many of my clothes. Additionally; I had very long hair & every morning she would braid it into 2 tight braids ...Every one at school used to call me "Laura".

Little House on the Prarie was the ONLY show I was allowed to watch on TV.

Have to admit; I got a kick out of that comment!

Old 11-02-2016, 07:04 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Last year, during my twins Freshman year at HS; the AP English teacher assigned them to write a Critical Analysis of ... "Any work of fiction ... NOT authored by a white man".
The problem here is not the choice of reading material. It's the expectation that HS freshmen are capable of writing a critical analysis of any work of literature.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:07 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Impressive. Being asked to step outside their comfort zone at a tender age.
Whatever; one of them already was reading a book authored by a black female; the other one a book authored by a white female..

As far as a "comfort zone"; one of them was "dating" a white girl, the other a black boy so it's not like it rocked their world. They felt it was a discriminatory statement towards white males.

("They"= 15 year old white girls)

Was it? I'm not sure; it just sounds ... desperate.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:08 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
They did not buy into the indoctrination they were wore down by dealing with an abundance of women who jumped on the feminist band wagon. Nothing is more exhausting for a man trying to date in a post feminist society. Also the risks of having a kid in a post feminist society have gotten staggering, all it takes is the woman having some kind of change of heart or bumping her head and he can loose it all in divorce court with child support and division of assets.
Easy divorce has nothing to do with post-feminism. However, the likelihood that an (ex-) husband would lose everything in a divorce are now much lower than before. You can thank feminism for the fact that most women work and many are capable of supporting themselves.

BTW, what is "post-feminism"?

What does any of this have to do with the OP, anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates