Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2016, 12:13 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is important for people to understand.

As a teacher and then principal, I have sat in countless curriculum meetings where there are debates, somtimes quite animated, about what to include and what to eliminate from the curriculum...and how much time to give...to various topics. American history and science are both good examples of the problem. Even in 7th and 8th grade social studies, which split American history in my county's school system, that was a total of about 360 45-minute periods to cover all of American history beginning with the earliest history of exploration of North America to the headlines of the "present" time. And I don't care how you slice it, you can't teach all of American history in 270 hours.

And it's the same with textbooks. You can't make a textbook big enough for a 12-13 year old that would hold all the important history of the United States.

And so, educators must begin to pick and choose what to include, how much emphasis to give to various topics. And they know fair well that the average American child when he grows up doesn't need a comprehensive understanding of all aspects of American history. Most Americans need to see a painting of American history that is created with a broad brush. For those who take an interest in history, or in a particular aspect of history, there's a whole lifetime to explore the printed word and get the details of topics such as the American banking system.

And, for those who want to come on this forum and whine about topics they hold dear not being taught in public schools -- use the Democratic process and run for the local and/or state school board, volunteer to serve on textbook selection committees. Be productively active, rather than simply whining when things don't go your way. And when you lose on school boards and textbook selection committees, keep in mind that you've just experienced American democracy.
This is a perfect explanation of the public K-12 problem of content vs time.

If people cannot understand this, they are either 1) indoctrinated themselves to want to see a problem, or 2) brain-dead stupid.

Let's give people a chance to see which one they think is more likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 12:14 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,945,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It could but besides History and maybe another science or math, do we really need it. Most people read on an eighth grade level even with more people going to college these days.

Yes but the Marshall Court ruled that they could. Money and the Constitution < A Brief History of Central Banking in the United States - Edward Flaherty < General < Essays < American History From Revolution To Reconstruction and beyond if we went by your logic, we'd be reduced to just coins which while good for vending machines, wouldn't be efficient.

I wasn't "blindly defending" anything, jus stating a real deficiency in history whether globally or country-specific. You don't have to like it, but you have to understand it. If you don't understand it, your argument is invalid.
The President that signed the law info effect said he "ruined the country". At least 3 other Presidents agreed with him. One of the men responsible for putting the whole thing together bragged the law would allow him and his family to amass great power and control the power (perhaps you've heard of him, his name was Rothschild). This is after many of the founding fathers fought against it, even warning that if this ever happened it would destroy the currency (which has already happened) and wreck the country.

Yet despite all of this evidence (and much, much more), you still staunchly defend suppressing this information.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
This is just a long winded rationalization/justification for suppressing information. No need to complicate the simple- please explain specifically why you are in favor of suppressing information.
With this post - replying to probably the most accurate and succinct description of the problem - you have truly lost ant credibility with those of us in here that have IQ's with 3 digits.

You have most definitely - and without any ambiguity whatsoever - shown your true colors here.

You want to talk about being brainwashed or indoctrinated? You have only to look in the mirror to see a perfect example... but it wasn't the public school system that did this. Maybe the nargles living in between your ears, but most definitely not the school system.

Last edited by Starman71; 11-04-2016 at 12:34 PM..

Old 11-04-2016, 12:25 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,945,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
With this post - replying to probably the most accurate and succinct description of the problem - you have truly lost ant credibility with those of us in here that have IQ's with 3 digits.

You have most definitely - and without any ambiguity whatsoever - shown your true colors here.

You want to talk about being brainwashed or indoctrinated? You have only to look in the mirror to see a perfect example... but it wasn't the public school system that did this. Maybe the Margles living in between your ears, but most definitely not the school system.
Attempting to blame the willful suppression of information on lack of time or priorities is worse than rationalization, it's dishonest.

Meanwhile back on the farm the dollar has lost 96% of its purchasing power in 85 years.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:28 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:

If people cannot understand this, they are either 1) indoctrinated themselves to want to see a problem, or 2) brain-dead stupid.

Your only mistake in this great post is that it doesn't have to be either #1 or #2. It obviously can be both at the same time!

Old 11-04-2016, 12:29 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,231,566 times
Quote:
(response to the bold) I never said that. What I did say is that I don't believe that the information should continue to be suppressed. Again, the founding fathers and many Presidents were vehemently opposed to central banks. Those involved in the creation of The Federal Reserve bragged that it would allow them to control the people by giving them near unlimited power, and famous conquerors named central banking as their secret weapon.
The merits or lack thereof in central banking are discussed in college level macroeconomics classes.
For example:

Quote:
ECON 301 Intermediate Macroeconomics (5) I&S
Analysis of the determinants of the aggregate level of employment, output, prices, and income of an economy. Policy issues and applications with special reference to current monetary and fiscal policy. Prerequisite: minimum grade of 2.0 in ECON 201; 2.0 in ECON 300.

ECON 421 Money, Credit, and the Economy (5) I&S
Role of money and the banking system in the United States economy. Relation of money to inflation, interest rates, and business fluctuations. Monetary policy and Federal Reserve System. Prerequisite: minimum grade of 2.0 in ECON 301.

ECON 425 Topics in Monetary Economics (5) I&S
Topics include monetary policy and financial markets, two transmission mechanisms, dynamics of monetary policy, targeting interest rates versus targeting the quantity of money, monetary policy under fixed versus flexible exchange rates, inflation targeting, and practices of central banks, i.e., Fed, ECB, BOJ and PBOC. Prerequisite: minimum grade of 2.0 in ECON 301.

University of Washington
College of Arts and Sciences
Economics

Middle and high school students are trying to learn BASIC mathematics and if they're lucky, get some BASIC economic concepts out of social studies. You seem to want them to try and learn junior and senior level material for college economics majors.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:39 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Hmmm. Hitler failed to take a breath in the post-WWII era either. And will you now hold Hitler up as some sort of historical authority whose complaints of things must be accepted as valid today? That's what had been proposed earlier. Of course, Henry Ford and Hitler were sometimes not so very far apart on things.
Or Hitler & Rockerfeller. Then Rockerfeller/Gates; who still control the majority of mass media.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Attempting to blame the willful suppression of information on lack of time or priorities is worse than rationalization, it's dishonest.

Meanwhile back on the farm the dollar has lost 96% of its purchasing power in 85 years.
Are you being deliberately obtuse?!?!?!

Dear God, man... I'll send you a coupon so you can go buy yourself a f'ing CLUE!!

It isn't about suppression. It's about time. It's already been explained to you, but it seems you have no desire, inclination or brain cells to comprehend this simple fact, that with every passing day, there's more history to teach, but no more time added to the curriculum to do so.

Is this too hard for your simplistic way of thinking to understand?!?!? If so, give up the internet, please.

With every post I read from you, I find myself thinking cringing at the idea that a person with your thought processes gets to drive a car, vote, bring children into this world, etc.

Man, how scary is that....

Old 11-04-2016, 12:46 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,015,270 times
Quote:
Only if you had put it in a coffee can and left it there for all those years.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:53 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
The President that signed the law info effect said he "ruined the country". At least 3 other Presidents agreed with him. One of the men responsible for putting the whole thing together bragged the law would allow him and his family to amass great power and control the power (perhaps you've heard of him, his name was Rothschild). This is after many of the founding fathers fought against it, even warning that if this ever happened it would destroy the currency (which has already happened) and wreck the country.

Yet despite all of this evidence (and much, much more), you still staunchly defend suppressing this information.
Refer to this post, I'm done trying to explain to you like others on this thread are getting.

Quote:

There is only suppression when we need to decide what topics we really need to cover and which ones to gloss over. Just look at textbooks and see how many chapters there are and then divide by week for college or week and a half for high school and tell me how they can cram all that in and tell me what topics to drop. Sorry it is things you think we truly need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates