U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:36 AM

3,007 posts, read 1,890,166 times

Advertisements

As far as refugees go (I'm specifically not saying Muslim, because I think this applies to anyone who has been displaced and taken in by a country) there is a harsh spotlight shining on them. Take a Syrian refugee. Someone who has lost their home, possibly their loved ones, their livelihood, perhaps even their health, due to war. They come to the EU or the US, and people that live there are thinking, "This guy has lost everything, I'm glad we could make a difference in this man's life, let him start over with a better life."

And then, this guy who has lost everything, kills or rapes someone.

The outrage is tenfold vs a "regular" rape, like between two students on a college campus. It's worse because the mentality is, we allowed this guy to escape from a war torn country where he had nothing, we gave him an opportunity to live a life without fear of being killed on a daily basis, he can work and support himself, has access to healthcare and shelter, etc. And instead of being eternally grateful, and busting his ass to make the most of his emigration to a new country and start over... this guy went and raped someone and destroyed someone else's life. It overshadows all of the good refugees who are just trying to move on with their lives and are grateful to be living somewhere else.

Couple that with the fact that the vetting process for these refugees has been non existent, and you get a lot of worried people expecting the worst. When it happens, it's easy to paint them all as the same.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:18 AM

458 posts, read 199,425 times
[quote=Ro2113;46408462If a member of a fraternity rapes a girl would you assume all fraternity members are rapists?[/QUOTE]

You should ask that of all the Social Justice Warriors at UVA and Rolling Stone, among others.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:52 AM

1,189 posts, read 493,269 times
The message SEEMS to be that if you are a white college kid, you can rape whomever you want.

Do I really need to say that I'm not saying that that is okay?

Old 12-06-2016, 10:54 AM

1,189 posts, read 493,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But that's in Europe. It doesn't have anything to do with the US. I lived in a neighborhood heavily populated by Islamic immigrants. The mosque was 2 blocks from my house. They were normal people. No issues. Why are some posters trying to drag the US into Europe's issues? I don't get it.
Whenever I encounter trolls on the Internet, if I dig a little deeper, they tend to be FROM Europe.

Yet, they post under the purview of bashing America, or the people in it....

UK/Britain/England/Whatever it is, Australia...

Old 12-06-2016, 12:36 PM

4,051 posts, read 1,793,098 times
Default Vetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post

Couple that with the fact that the vetting process for these refugees has been non existent, and you get a lot of worried people expecting the worst. When it happens, it's easy to paint them all as the same.
Yah, I see that a lot in posts. The US says that the vetting process for everybody coming from the Middle East as a potential refugee is extensive, & runs about two years. I assume that we interview & do the most research on young unattached Islamic males, ages 16 - 35 or so. Women, children, aged - I figure are less of a security threat.

What it comes down to - if our security agencies aren't happy with the background, education, relationships, political orientation, etc. of a particular applicant for refugee status in the US, we don't grant it. You explain it nicely to the applicant, & go on to the next person. If the refused applicant is part of a family or some other larger group of applicants, he/she & they have to decide what's important - staying together, or relative safety for part of the group. It's their call.

I think it's the right thing to do to allow refugee status, but not @ the cost of endangering the very society we're trying to allow entry into. That's extremely counterproductive & uncalled for.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:48 PM

10,100 posts, read 21,547,613 times
The reason what goes on in Europe is relevant to the USA is because Democrats view Europe as the model to emulate. Democrats originally wanted the USA to take in 500k refugees because Germany was, saying there would be no problems. Democrats wanted the USA border to open up between Mexico and Canada like the EU borders. I think the EU does good things worth emulating but it also has its problems and the USA would be foolish to just start doing everything the EU does.

You are correct that in general the US has far fewer problems with Muslims than Europe. That is because the USA does a better vetting process. The EU let in 1 million people in by foot, later vetting determined nearly half weren't even from countries with widespread unrest like Syria, Afghanistan, or Iraq. Many are simply from places with no job opportunities like the Balkan nations. I would never say that most refugees are criminals or sexual predators but it's also false to say there has not been a major spike in crime, including rape and murder.

I am not against multiculturalism, I am against the Cult of PC multiculturalism which believes rich nations have no right to enforce their borders and only let in people who will benefit the host nation. The West had been experiencing multiculturalism for decades without a rise in White nationalist parties, that only happened after the Open Borders crowd took over govt.

As it relates to rape... the issue is that the PC crowd will not allow a discussion of which immigrant groups are more likely to commit sexual assault. If that discussion could be openly and honestly held the White nationalists would go back into their corner. The reality is some groups do cause far more problems than others. In the USA how many terror attacks have been carried out by Chinese? Japanese? Mexicans? Iranians? Somalis? Saudis? Germany has had millions of Kurdish Muslims for decades without any mass sexual assaults but then it's an epidemic after the latest refugees came in. Rape is rape but not all immigrant groups are as likely to engage in it and that's simply a fact.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:06 PM

8,012 posts, read 6,812,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
You should ask that of all the Social Justice Warriors at UVA and Rolling Stone, among others.
I'd rather ask you. Are you concern with sexual assault in general or just when it is committed by immigrants? If it was committed by a non-muslim American citizen would you care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The reason what goes on in Europe is relevant to the USA is because Democrats view Europe as the model to emulate. Democrats originally wanted the USA to take in 500k refugees because Germany was, saying there would be no problems. Democrats wanted the USA border to open up between Mexico and Canada like the EU borders. I think the EU does good things worth emulating but it also has its problems and the USA would be foolish to just start doing everything the EU does.

You are correct that in general the US has far fewer problems with Muslims than Europe. That is because the USA does a better vetting process. The EU let in 1 million people in by foot, later vetting determined nearly half weren't even from countries with widespread unrest like Syria, Afghanistan, or Iraq. Many are simply from places with no job opportunities like the Balkan nations. I would never say that most refugees are criminals or sexual predators but it's also false to say there has not been a major spike in crime, including rape and murder.

I am not against multiculturalism, I am against the Cult of PC multiculturalism which believes rich nations have no right to enforce their borders and only let in people who will benefit the host nation. The West had been experiencing multiculturalism for decades without a rise in White nationalist parties, that only happened after the Open Borders crowd took over govt.

As it relates to rape... the issue is that the PC crowd will not allow a discussion of which immigrant groups are more likely to commit sexual assault. If that discussion could be openly and honestly held the White nationalists would go back into their corner. The reality is some groups do cause far more problems than others. In the USA how many terror attacks have been carried out by Chinese? Japanese? Mexicans? Iranians? Somalis? Saudis? Germany has had millions of Kurdish Muslims for decades without any mass sexual assaults but then it's an epidemic after the latest refugees came in. Rape is rape but not all immigrant groups are as likely to engage in it and that's simply a fact.
And not everyone from that immigrant group is a rapists. It's insincere to talk about the horrors of rape now when Americans are sexually assaulting other Americans far more than immigrants.

If you were to talk about the economic impact of immigration that would be a far more meaningful conversation but with all the sexual assault cases that happen in this country each year between American's and you only care about rape when a Muslim commits it. That is straight hypocrisy point blank.

If your against rape then you despise it all of the same. Regardless of who the perpetrator is.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:25 PM

18,540 posts, read 5,013,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post

Yes, Pakistan has done well in nuclear weapons & upgrading the Scud design & building their versions. A pity they can't apply the same vigor to the rest of the economy & country - I suppose national defense does have priority - but they'd do much better much faster to build up universal public education, health care, telecoms, clean water, sewer, transportation infrastructure, power, transparency in government, law, land reform, etc. They're running into real hydrologic problems, the snow pack in the mountains isn't what it used to be, & there's increasing friction over the allocation of water between Pakistan & India. Did I leave anything out?
Yes - you left out how they didn't go through an Industrial Revolution.
They make air conditioners.

Oh, and I notice you don't bother to list out the stuff developed by OUR military, NASA and all the German POW's we dragged over here.....point is, you are being silly to try and explain away their intelligence and accomplishments.

Now - if you want to talk about Civil Society, I think we could discuss their possible improvements. But when people throw around BS as fact, it gets deep and smells.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:29 PM

18,540 posts, read 5,013,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Saudis? Germany has had millions of Kurdish Muslims for decades without any mass sexual assaults but then it's an epidemic after the latest refugees came in. Rape is rape but not all immigrant groups are as likely to engage in it and that's simply a fact.
If I'm not wrong, Saudis committed the most terror against the USA.

You also may fail to note that Money Buys "No Rape".

You really don't know want to know things like how many western women the Saudis "buy" and how our POTUS-elect "buys" girls. This is one of those unfortunate facts of life.

I'd change it if I could. But let's not pretend other than that most child, woman and spousal abuse in this country comes from - well, usually from "friends" and "spouses", but also from the Church(es) - of which I would consider Islam one of them.

There is no real double standard here. It seems Everyone Rapes. Am I wrong?

Old 12-06-2016, 08:02 PM

10,253 posts, read 2,966,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
If that is so then why make a thread like this? If someone is against rape then it really shouldn't matter who the perpetrator is.
The OP was clear about why he started this thread: Because people like you defend immigrant rapists by pointing out that there are native rapists. You change the subject instead of recognizing and condemning the rapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or