Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:42 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

There's something I'm really curious about and I know that two CD posters don't speak for all relatively liberal people; why is it that "date" or "rape" safety on campus is so heavily promoted whereas focus on Muslim immigrant rape is frowned upon? I don't understand.

I have two sons in two different colleges. All of the campuses bulletin boards as well as the unisex restrooms are plastered with signage alerting the female students to rape and other harassment issues. There are meetings on the subject for female and female-identifying students.

On threads relating to Muslim rape (examples below) there are apologies for these rapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You don't think women have been raped for decades in this country by american citizens Has your head been in the sand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
what I posted is: RAPE is not an Islamic Ideology!!!!
See 3 muslim refugee youths rape little girl in idaho.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Interesting. Are you people just as outraged when one of our very own citizens, say good ole white boy, rapes a female? Somehow, I bet you blame the victim. In fact, I can basically guarantee it. Rape is horrible, regardless of who the perpetrator is. Keep that in mind. I expect to see the same earnest interest in other threads about females getting raped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
There were no refugees involved. This is just more conservative propaganda. City Data is becoming the new Stormfront. Authorities Deny Syrians Raped Twin Falls Child | Southern Idaho Local News | magicvalley.com
So I observe a glaring tendency to excuse frequently violent rapes, and take very seriously borderline situations that are almost "micro-aggressions." We need one standard for all; rape is a disgusting, vile, violent crime.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:58 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
agreed.

the double standard is glaring, and the apologists should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:10 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
agreed.

the double standard is glaring, and the apologists should be ashamed of themselves.
The double standard is glaring because it seems to be an opportunity to paint all muslims and immigrants as rapists.

"They are all coming here to rape our women", If a member of a fraternity rapes a girl would you assume all fraternity members are rapists?

Old 12-05-2016, 10:25 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Follow the money

Nah, it's not a double standard. Rape is rape, assault is assault, they should all be reported, investigated & prosecuted. Not all rapes are reported, & therefore not all are investigated. Of those investigated, some are too iffy. A DA prioritizes resources - & if they're short-handed, & the possibility of getting a conviction is too low, they'll move on to a more clear-cut case.

Rape prosecutions can be messy & time-consuming - there's forensic evidence to collect & process, results that have to be waited on, interviews to conduct, lots of plodding procedural work to go through. DAs are also political critters, a good-sized fraction go on to political office afterwards. & so they hope to build a good win/loss rate - just like college & professional football coaches.

Rape cases involving non-English speaking accused & families are a mess for prosecutors. You have to find competent, reliable translators & either swear them in or hire them directly. Plus you get to deal with whatever the marital customs & mores are in that culture.

Colleges & universities & etc. are under pressure because the big sports powerhouses - typically in football, sometimes basketball - occasionally covered for criminal acts by their team members, especially if they were in highly skilled positions. I take that as an argument to get the states out of the minor-league football recruitment & training of talent for the big leagues - but that's not a popular stand. Witness Baylor U. in their football team & allegations of sexual assault, various firings & resignations in Athletics & Admin there, & etc. We see a similar situation from time to time across the country in colleges & universities. U. of Notre Dame cut several members from their football team, for various acts of mayhem, before the current season, as I recall. & ND tends to observe the rules carefully - they're not usually in the public eye for this kind of behavior.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:34 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
There is a lot of irony and hypocrisy behind the left's efforts to eradicate rape and sexual oppression from our society while at the same time seeking to drastically increase immigration and cultural influence from a society that is perhaps decades if not centuries behind our own when it comes to matters of feminism and women's rights. There is rape and violence in all cultures but it is ingrained deeper in some cultures than it is in others.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
There is a lot of irony and hypocrisy behind the left's efforts to eradicate rape and sexual oppression from our society while at the same time seeking to drastically increase immigration and cultural influence from a society that is perhaps decades if not centuries behind our own when it comes to matters of feminism and women's rights. There is rape and violence in all cultures but it is ingrained deeper in some cultures than it is in others.
Yup the left does want to eradicate rape, but they also don't assume everyone of that culture is a rapists. This is another pathetic excuse for Xenophobia.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:59 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red as Gold View Post
No. Neither of the quotes that you posted are apologies.
This is not an apology?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Interesting. Are you people just as outraged when one of our very own citizens, say good ole white boy, rapes a female? Somehow, I bet you blame the victim. In fact, I can basically guarantee it. Rape is horrible, regardless of who the perpetrator is. Keep that in mind. I expect to see the same earnest interest in other threads about females getting raped.
It sure looks like one to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red as Gold View Post
Another apparent double standard, lots of threads about "immigrant rapes" few threads about what would, I guess, be termed "non-immigrant" rapes?

It's not really about rape.
Optimistically it's about immigration policy.
Pessimistically it's anti-Muslim.
Realistically, it's both.
I am a bit tired of people who ignore the obvious in order to feel good about themselves. Isn't it obvious that consent is not a necessary element to sex in some cultures? Isn't it obvious that at least some use of force in everyday relations is an element in some cultures? Why are there so many emigrants from Muslim coiuntries? The lack of social order drives down living standards. I am sure, on balance, that the emigrants are better (or more Western-like) than the ones that stay behind. This reminds me of the old cigareet commercial (maybe I'm dating myself): "You can take Salem out of the country but...you can't take the country out of Salem."

Last edited by jbgusa; 12-05-2016 at 11:48 AM..

Old 12-05-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This is not an apology:

I am a bit tired of people who ignore the obvious in order to feel good about themselves. Isn't it obvious that consent is not a necessary element to sex in some cultures? Isn't it obvious that at least some use of force in everyday relations is an element in some cultures? Why are there so many emigrants from Muslim coiuntries? The lack of social order drives down living standards. I am sure, on balance, that the emigrants are better (or more Western-like) than the ones that stay behind. This reminds me of the old cigareet commercial (maybe I'm dating myself): "You can take Salem out of the country but...you can't take the country out of Salem."
It's also pretty obvious that this argument is not really about preventing rape. By this token the Muslims who have been born and raised here all of their lives are also rapists because that is what their religion teaches them. Not just the immigrants.

It's really a simple tactic, take the worst of a culture and assign them as the representives of that culture.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:12 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
If you are rich the standard is different.
To quote the Great One - "I could step out on 5th avenue and kill someone and my base wouldn't care". They don't care about his alleged rapes either.

The sad fact is that Justice does not exist. Fairness does not exist. Money buys both. Many a mass murderer or rapist has been elevated to the highest levels of business, government and society.

But woe be it to the "poor immigrant" or "african brute" who despoils a white woman!

Our culture is male dominated. Alpha Males scare their underlings into letting them get the choice of the litter...or break laws at will. Whether these are banking laws, insider trading, bank robbery or sexual in nature...a different standard applies.

I hope that answers your question. I learned this before I was 18 (I'm in my 60's now). I hope others here can learn it...and maybe strive to change things.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:15 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Colleges & universities & etc. are under pressure because the big sports powerhouses - typically in football, sometimes basketball - occasionally covered for criminal acts by their team members, especially if they were in highly skilled positions. I take that as an argument to get the states out of the minor-league football recruitment & training of talent for the big leagues - but that's not a popular stand. Witness Baylor U. in their football team & allegations of sexual assault, various firings & resignations in Athletics & Admin there, & etc. We see a similar situation from time to time across the country in colleges & universities. U. of Notre Dame cut several members from their football team, for various acts of mayhem, before the current season, as I recall. & ND tends to observe the rules carefully - they're not usually in the public eye for this kind of behavior.
I think you are onto something - BUT, given that I have seen molestation charges and similar against even the smallest of "small town" local coaches, I can't be sure things are much worse in the big leagues. It's just that it may make the news for a longer period whereas the local coach gets one day in the paper.

I'd posit that the vast majority of sex crimes in this country are committed by red-blooded Americans, including the clergy, pols, poor, wealthy and most other walks of life.

I'd like the OP to put forward an argument to this supposition and prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates