Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 02:33 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Soooo; I wonder how many people actually don't see prostitutes because it's not legal.

And then, I wonder how many of those would ... If it remained illegal BUT they knew how to do it without being caught.

I mean; is anybody actually NOT doing it because & only because it's against the law?
I only know through my connection that prostitution is not a primary focus of law enforcement assuming the following:

* No complaints from surrounding community.
* It operates indoors out of sight.
* No suspected human trafficking nor child prostitution.
* No suspected illegal weapons or drug involvement.

This is only for my immediate locale.... not sure about other areas. Police are more concerned about the last two listed....

Our primary concern isn't the customers but the working girls themselves. Working outside the protections of law exposes them to other criminals who seek to extort and abuse them; police included. Fortunately, there are ways to operate that can limit the risk however not eliminate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 04:16 PM

605 posts, read 670,136 times
Prostitution should just be legalized already since it is already the world's oldest profession (and despite what some feminists/religious conservatives think, it won't be going away any time soon either). It is already legal in other developed countries like the Netherlands, New Zealand, Germany, and Australia not to mention Nevada. It's better to legalize it and have restrictions in place such as background checks and mandatory health check ups, that way STD's won't get spread among the general public and you solve the problem of having prostitutes get mistreated by violent pimps/john's/human trafficking organizations.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:17 PM

242 posts, read 158,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes and more disease might be spread

Not g00d!!
No it wouldn't, because it would be REGULATED, that includes MANDATORY STD TESTS.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:23 PM

242 posts, read 158,132 times
There'd be no more excuses for real 40 Year Old Virgins existing. There'd be no reason for single people to remain sexually frustrated. There'd be no need to waste time seeking out women who don't want you. ANYONE AND EVERYONE could get laid ANYTIME!

More tax dollars.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:09 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Women would lose their control over which men are granted sexual access and which men aren't.
Do you mean the prostitutes would lose control or women who are not prostitutes would somehow lose control (by virtue of there being a pool of sexually available women)?

And why would that be a good thing?

Frankly, I don't think any woman—prostitute or not—should have to grant sexual access to any man not of their own choosing, unless the prostitute chooses to state that "all men are welcome."

For the record, I am strongly against prostitution and do not consider it a victimless crime.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSeeker21 View Post
There'd be no more excuses for real 40 Year Old Virgins existing. There'd be no reason for single people to remain sexually frustrated. There'd be no need to waste time seeking out women who don't want you. ANYONE AND EVERYONE could get laid ANYTIME!

More tax dollars.
Maybe there should be an elective class to teach sexual satisfaction through masturbation. Sexual frustration can easily be accomplished without a partner.

Now that is a victimless crime.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:14 PM

997 posts, read 937,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I only know through my connection that prostitution is not a primary focus of law enforcement assuming the following:

* No complaints from surrounding community.
* It operates indoors out of sight.
* No suspected human trafficking nor child prostitution.
* No suspected illegal weapons or drug involvement.

This is only for my immediate locale.... not sure about other areas. Police are more concerned about the last two listed....

Our primary concern isn't the customers but the working girls themselves. Working outside the protections of law exposes them to other criminals who seek to extort and abuse them; police included. Fortunately, there are ways to operate that can limit the risk however not eliminate it.
This the answer. Legalization would mean regulation and we don't want that. We do want what is listed above. I think it is not criminalized unless it is causing problems.

Living with that, is better then living with more government oversight.

If I make a deal with Bachelor number 2, and we keep it between us, then who's to know? I wouldn't report it on my taxes. If the laws change then I would have to fill out a special form on tax day.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:17 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
Say tomorrow Prostitution were fully free in the U.S saying:

1. Women were fully able to prostitute themselves whether it be in a brothel or on the street and any joe could agree for sex without absolutely no consequences.

2. Every state were fully allowed to open up as many brothels as they want making up whatever rules/regulations they wanted.

What do you think would happen?
Every state could legalize prostitution. It isn't a federal law. No legislator wants to be known as the guy who tried it. So it doesn't happen.

i'm hoping that now we've opened the door to medical marijuana, prostitution will eventually follow. It's a stupid thing to outlaw...much smarter to decriminalize it so it can be regulated (Licenced sex workers could be tested regularly) and TAXED!

Old 12-14-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSeeker21 View Post
No it wouldn't, because it would be REGULATED, that includes MANDATORY STD TESTS.
1. STD test done on prostitute and prostitute passes test.

2. "Client" #1 with STD has bodily fluid contact with prostitute and passes it on to her.

3. "Client" #2 has bodily fluid contact with prostitute and receives STD from her.

4. Either Client #1 or Client #2 or prostitute or all 3 have bodily fluid contact with unknowing victim and gets STD.

That's how effective the mandatory STD test is. It only protects the first client after the test, if tainted bodily fluids are passed, orally, vaginally, or anally.

You know very well that many men will have bodily fluid contact with the prostitute. Universal condom use is not what happens in the real world.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:26 PM

Default Decriminalization versus legal....big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Every state could legalize prostitution. It isn't a federal law. No legislator wants to be known as the guy who tried it. So it doesn't happen.

i'm hoping that now we've opened the door to medical marijuana, prostitution will eventually follow. It's a stupid thing to outlaw...much smarter to decriminalize it so it can be regulated (Licenced sex workers could be tested regularly) and TAXED!
Prostitutes and brothel owners want it decriminalized, not made legal!

Once it is made legal, it can be taxed.

Decriminalization does not make it taxable. It only makes it not a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates