Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 04:28 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,975,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
People have different truths.

That's the problem.

Americans have always loved them some conspiracy. Read "The Paranoid Style in American Politics" by Richard Hofstader. As true today as it was in 1964 when the article came out.

The Paranoid Style in American Politics | Harper's Magazine
No.

If something is true, it is true. If something is false, it is false.

People have different BELIEFS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 05:34 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,793,474 times
Liberals hate Fox News and say it all fake news, if it does not agree with their own opinion.

Conservatives hate CNN and say it is all fake news, if it does not agree with their own opinion.

Too many Millennials rely on Facebook for news, and every thinking person realizes it is not news, but what a lot of people want to believe and think. Facebook has been judged to be the biggest source of fake news in the country.

What it really comes down to, is if you agree with it, it is the truth, and if you don't it is fake news in your opinion, no matter what the source is that you are looking at.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:50 PM

13,288 posts, read 8,488,520 times
My son studied journalism and rarely have I read any of his articles to be "fake" or bias.

Trump is "gas Lighting" the public into "believing" that the media is the bad guy. When the FACT is, he is the source of fake /false opinions and rhetoric.

When I see a war journalist conveying reports I tend to think there is more truth then "bias" or false claims.

When I see the war photos I also see these skilled reporters jeopardizing their lives to get the story told.

But please, continue to follow the blind leading the blind mentality so that the freedom of press can be controlled by a leader who wants nothing more then to treat you like mushrooms.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:17 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,103,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
No.

Not always. Indoctrination and dogma often color what we believe is true.

Is anthropogenic global warming going to warm the planet? True or false? Some think true, some false, others aren't certain. To some who think the answer is True, those who don't agree will be called deniers. When this happens indoctrination and dogma win over scientific method and scientific skepticism. Which is true? It depends on your beliefs, indoctrination and or dogma.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:18 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,103,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
My son studied journalism and rarely have I read any of his articles to be "fake" or bias.

Trump is "gas Lighting" the public into "believing" that the media is the bad guy. When the FACT is, he is the source of fake /false opinions and rhetoric.

When I see a war journalist conveying reports I tend to think there is more truth then "bias" or false claims.

When I see the war photos I also see these skilled reporters jeopardizing their lives to get the story told.

But please, continue to follow the blind leading the blind mentality so that the freedom of press can be controlled by a leader who wants nothing more then to treat you like mushrooms.
A parent often doesn't notice problems with their progeny's work. This was a theme in the fictional Music Man, but relates to a truth in life.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:06 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,478,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I think this election season was a real wakeup call for citizens of the USA when it came to the media, so, no, I do not think that truth will be less important in future politics. I remember, not long ago, when news people were highly respected as were those that did commentaries on the issues.

I believe this election season, being one of the most horrific things I have seen in years, will start to clear the fog created by media that has went astray, and we will see a desire and need for the truth.

I feel that the media failed to have the impact that they intended and that gives me hope that the people did and will continue to seek the truth, of course, there will always be the sheep that simply are too lazy to seek the truth and will follow the gossiping lying segment of the media.
The problem with the media is the same as the problem in politics. It has all become a pyramid scheme with the wealthy at the top.

Old Man Rupert Murdoch is the biggest problem with media and therefore also politics.

Rupert Murdoch & family
Real Time Net Worth As of 1/14/17
$12.6 Billion

Chairman and CEO, News Corp
Residence: New York

"Media baron Rupert Murdoch returned to Fox News as chairman in July 2016 after its founding CEO, Roger Ailes, stepped down amid allegations of sexual harassment, which Ailes has denied. 21st Century Fox, which Murdoch also heads, agreed to pay $20 million to settle the high-profile claim filed by former anchor Gretchen Carlson. Murdoch's companies also own the Wall Street Journal."

Monopolies of our media must are disgusting and must be broken up.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:41 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,781,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
In other words your dad was used to news with a liberal slant and was thrown off by the Conservative slant.

Both Fox and CNN report the same exact stuff, but with different view points. Not necessarily fake, but not necessarily newsworthy or unbiased either.
Fox will make a huge deal out of a slight Democratic Party misstep and talk all day about it (even slow news days are 24 hours long). CNN will barely mention such a misstep but will go on an on with puff pieces about Democratic politicians. Somewhere in between is an actual story, but its probably so insignificant its not worth getting worked up over or even knowing about. 50 years ago it wouldn't have even made the news at all.
Sometimes only have some information is worse than having no information.
No. My Dad expected news to be factual and related without emotion. And I have no idea what is on CNN - no cable, except for the brief time I had it for my dad. I don't watch any of it.

My dad was "used to" Huntley and Brinkley, and Walter Cronkite. He was used to news that was actual journalism and not lies and beliefs.

The vast majority of stuff on Fox is fake news based on lies.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:43 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,781,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Not always. Indoctrination and dogma often color what we believe is true.

Is anthropogenic global warming going to warm the planet? True or false? Some think true, some false, others aren't certain. To some who think the answer is True, those who don't agree will be called deniers. When this happens indoctrination and dogma win over scientific method and scientific skepticism. Which is true? It depends on your beliefs, indoctrination and or dogma.
There is no controversy in the scientific community. Global warming is real and it is happening.

If you tell me the world is flat, then you'd be just as wrong. It has nothing to do with indoctrination or dogma - except among those who refuse to believe the scientist who actually know what they are talking about.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:38 AM

7,893 posts, read 11,435,471 times
All people, including reporters, have some sort of bias. It reflects their values and their beliefs.

How to find truth then?

Read sources from both extremes when they both report the same story. The truth is likely in the middle most times, we can decide which we believe based on our bias and ability to use logic and assess reports.

Too often, one source has a story unreported by a media at the other extreme. Finding the truth here is more challenging. Again use logic and assess credibility of the report to find the truth.

Scary to me is not how challenging finding the truth is today, it is how we disagree on basic facts all sides agree upon. One example from this past election. Is Hillary's use of and decisions around use of a private server disqualifying or a minor event. I found it disqualifying. Most did not, all agreed she used one and most open minded types know she has some undeniable classified info on her server. Most know there were periods where security on her server was minimal, but without evidence of a hack by some dangerous entity blew this issue off as a much ado about nothing.

I am shocked trump won as the biases of more people lean left now and continue to do so. Hillarys choice as a candidate proved a big impact as she failed to gain the trust and believe of too many in the middle of the country.

Both sides are poor losers these days and seek to delegitimize the other side proving reinforcing their own biased beliefs are more important to them than what is best for the country for the next four years.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:34 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,860,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
No.

Absolutely! Post modern relativism loves to make philosophical pronouncements like "All truth is equal," "Everyone has their own truth" or "There is no absolute truth!" (Insisting, of course that the latter is 'absolutely true')

Truth (and God) both exist and can be verifiably proven and known. Just because some refuse to believe that doesn't make it untrue. God's truth does not depend on human agreement, approval or even understanding. (ucanknowthetruth.com)

Last edited by jghorton; 01-14-2017 at 03:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates