Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 01:30 AM

195 posts, read 161,544 times

Advertisements

If a young couple is married and the husband dies, do you think it's okay for her to want his sperm to be preserved? How would you feel vice versa? I did look it up and due to various factors if a man's wife dies it isn't really possible to preserve her eggs, but assuming you are okay with the aforementioned, for the sake of argument if it were possible would you think it okay for a husband to ask to preserve his dead wife's eggs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 02:10 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Don't you need consent ahead of time from the dead spouse?

Its not as simple as asking a doctor to extract sperm or eggs from a dead body, Lol. Not here in America, anyway.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:15 AM

195 posts, read 161,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Don't you need permission ahead of time from the dead spouse?

Its not as simple as asking a doctor to extract sperm or eggs from a dead body, Lol. Not here in America, anyway.
Woman wins permission to remove her dead partner's testicles | Daily Mail Online

Old 01-19-2017, 02:36 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
I figured it wasn't here in America.

I read another article saying she got permission for the removal, but the dead fiancee/boyfriend's family attorney says they will oppose the second application for her to use it. So, I dont think its going to happen.

Personally, I could care less what other couples do with their reproductive parts.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:14 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post

Personally, I could care less what other couples do with their reproductive parts.
Right. Me too...

Old 01-19-2017, 08:27 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
I see no reason it would not be ethical if both parties had agreed on it. Without the others permission I can see an ethical problem.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:36 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Without the other's explicit authorization for it (i.e. consent), I see an immense ethical problem with it.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:08 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
I find it wrong and selfish to have a baby well knowing beforehand, that you are a single parent. It is not fair to the child.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:18 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I find it wrong and selfish to have a baby well knowing beforehand, that you are a single parent. It is not fair to the child.
Life is not fair. Is it fair if you are working poor, if you have two working parent, if you are over 40, have a chance of passing a genetic disorder, have a disease that will shorten your life span, are having marital problems, drink, etc. etc.
Single people that are financially stable and have a support system can do as good of a job raising a child as a married couple. A fair and wonderful childhood is not guaranteed in any situation.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:14 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Life is not fair. Is it fair if you are working poor, if you have two working parent, if you are over 40, have a chance of passing a genetic disorder, have a disease that will shorten your life span, are having marital problems, drink, etc. etc.
Single people that are financially stable and have a support system can do as good of a job raising a child as a married couple. A fair and wonderful childhood is not guaranteed in any situation.
If there is no father/mother figure in a childs life, it will make a difference and has disadvantages, that's not rocket science.
And yes, I do not agree to two full time working parenting either. I find it selfish to drop off your child early mornings, pick it up at night and then follow your hobbies on the weekends, while nannied/grannies take care of your child. And then go on childfree vacation because you are so stressed out from motherhood.

And yes, alcoholics and people who fight with their spouse should idealy not have children either. That's not news. It has been suggested to many posters here to not get pregnant because thei are too poor, the partner is no good or they are screwed in the head.

No, a fair and wonderful childhood is never guaranteed because unforeseen stuff happens but knowingly putting a child in a situation that clearly puts the child on a disadvantage to others is selfish and wrong IMO no matter how you turn it.
A child will always feel different and sad when other kids go play with their dad, get picked up by their dad, and overall learn the manly part of things. There is a reason why nature requires two people to make a child.

"Some fathering advocates would say that almost every social ill faced by America’s children is related to fatherlessness. As supported by the data below, children from fatherless homes are more likely to be poor, become involved in drug and alcohol abuse, drop out of school, and suffer from health and emotional problems. Boys are more likely to become involved in crime, and girls are more likely to become pregnant as teens."
The Consequences of Fatherlessness | National Center for Fathering
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates