Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:58 AM

18,137 posts, read 25,324,795 times

Advertisements

Should women lose their last name when they marry?
It doesn't make sense to me why women do it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 11:59 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,756,788 times
Only if they want to. If they want to change their name, great. If they don't great too. I know a couple who made a new name out of their last names, which is kind of cool. I hyphenated, which I sort of regret, I wish I had just kept my own name but if you want to hyphenate, good for you.

And it isn't like they have to, there isn't even much social pressure one way or the other anymore. Well, except for men, some of them seem to get picked on if they change their name or hyphenate. Which is weird.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:33 PM

61,875 posts, read 87,361,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

Should?? Like MEN should decide for them what they should do??
First of all - many women have career before they get married, they are KNOWN under their maiden name. A new, married name would mean nothing to their career.
Our names are our identity. It was one of the first things we wrote when we learned how to write. Our achievements, our failures, and our collective history are all filed under the name we were given at birth.
Our name it's a link to our cultural lineage.

The fact that a woman's maiden name is even called a "maiden name" is evidence that this practice is antiquated at best. Unfortunately, a woman not taking her husband’s last name is still viewed as abnormal, deviant behavior in the US. This is supported by the fact that ~ 90% of American women still take their husband’s last name at marriage, and about half of Americans think it should be illegal for a woman not to take his surname.
It's 21st Century, people!, and hopefully it's time for both men and women to stop being so offended at the question of choosing an alternative practice, given that most of us agree with the idea of women having identities.
A marriage should be a marker of an egalitarian partnership, not a succession of one party behind the other!

I should ask: why women are still changing their last name? Some names are embarrassing, or frequently misspelled - a good reason to change it, if someone is having ongoing problems.
Other than that they should do whatever fits their needs or desire.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:45 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,566,403 times
No. I find it very interesting that the Spanish culture has always kept the women's 'maiden' name as part of her newfound, married title. As Elnina mentions, why someone should lose their heritage/name of family; is beyond me.

Tidbit: I viewed on TV one afternoon; Judge Judy screeching at some poor Spanish lady (defendant) that she was trying to 'evade the law' by keeping as part of her name; her maiden name. LOL! As smart as she is about the law, she had no idea it was nothing evading and part of the lady's culture. She honestly should educate herself in the broader world...

Old 01-20-2017, 12:49 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,307,619 times
Didn't we just have this discussion under a thread with a different title?

Women should do what is right for them, it is that basic and that simple.
If men don't like the idea they need to choose which is most important, a name change or the woman herself.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:05 PM

19,088 posts, read 27,667,472 times
I don't think people should get married to start with. Anything institutionalized eventually turns into a failure. Yes, I know, we all know "a couple" that made it. Though we never know the whole truth about their private life. But few odd examples here and there do not outweigh pretty much failed marriage institution.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:12 PM

1,239 posts, read 511,739 times
What happens to potential children then? Do they have their fathers name or mothers, or do they hyphen too?

John Doe marries Jane Smith and they have a child, Sam Doe-Smith.

The Kumar-Weiss family also have a child Mason Kumar-Weiss.

Sam and Mason eventually get together and have a baby named Jen. Does Jen become Jen Doe-Smith-Kumar-Weiss?

Old 01-20-2017, 01:12 PM

5,532 posts, read 7,126,090 times
Yes she should!

So if Mary Rogers marries Frank Jones, she would be referred to as "Mrs. Frank Jones"

Old 01-20-2017, 01:16 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,022,459 times
Quote:
Women should do what they choose to do.

Quote:
It is not important for you to understand why others choose to do what they do. Is it?

Old 01-20-2017, 01:17 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,566,403 times
I beg to disagree NYTom. In records, her family lineage will be much harder to trace, if you have your way. As Elnina mentioned, it is one of the first things humans learned to do..write their names, including women. (and they probably taught us how to write, lol) The family history was spoken of over campfires for thousands of years, so that all could remember their ancestors...umm...including women.
I see it as a power struggle to engulf a woman's history...to not include their name.
Try looking up a family tree on findagrave, ancestory.com...etc. Without the wife's maiden name. It's a real pain.

And I find your example very male chauvinistic. Take a man's entire name??? How Victorian! (You must have read the last page of Pride and Prejudice)

Everyone has a right to find/keep/treasure their heritage. I could go on and on about this, but will not make the argument here.

Last edited by TerraDown; 01-20-2017 at 01:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates