Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 11:05 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times

Advertisements

I can't figure this one out. Why do liberals get so bent out of shape in supporting illegal immigration? There are legal means to come to this country and there are thousands of immigrants who follow the law and come in by legal means. Yet liberals seem to ignore that and focus on the illegals. Why is that? Why do liberals support illegals above US citizens and above those who followed the law and came here legally?

Old 02-04-2017, 11:17 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Why do liberals support illegals ...?
Generosity and kindness.

Why do conservatives support illegals ...?
Lower business costs.

These are not new issues or perspectives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredReedIn2008
We have immigration because we want immigration.
Liberals favor immigration because it makes them feel warm and fuzzy and international and all, and from a genuine streak of decency.
Conservative Republican businessman favor immigration, frequently sotto voce, because they want cheap labor that actually shows up and works.

To grasp American immigration policy, to the extent that it can be grasped, one need only remember that the United States forbids smoking
while subsidizing tobacco growers. We say to impoverished Mexicans, “See this river? Don’t cross it. If you do, we’ll give you good jobs, a drivers license,
citizenship for your kids born here and eventually for you, school for said kids, public assistance, governmental documents in Spanish for your convenience,
and a much better future. There is no penalty for getting caught. Now, don’t cross this river, hear?”

Old 02-04-2017, 11:27 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times
Some people have a capacity to walk around in public while not being intimidated by the presence of dark-haired, swarthy-skinned people speaking a language other than English. Some people do not have that capacity.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:38 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Generosity and kindness.

Why do conservatives support illegals ...?
Lower business costs.

These are not new issues or perspectives.
Generosity and kindness for whom? Why are illegals special but legals not? Why are citizens not? So you're ok with not checking background? You don't care if they are potentially good citizens or bad citizens? Do you believe you should be able to move to any other country without following their laws or do you believe other countries don't have immigration laws?

Who should pay for your feeling good about your generosity and kindness? You're ok with stealing from others to pay for your good feelings? Because you are stealing. It may be routed through the government to get the money from someone else, but it is stealing from A to give to B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Some people have a capacity to walk around in public while not being intimidated by the presence of dark-haired, swarthy-skinned people speaking a language other than English. Some people do not have that capacity.
And who said anything about hair or skin color? Illegal has nothing to do with skin color. So it makes a difference to you what race the illegal is? Is race the all around all purpose liberal answer to any question?

Old 02-04-2017, 11:46 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
Quote:
I can't figure this one out. Why do liberals get so bent out of shape in supporting illegal immigration? There are legal means to come to this country and there are thousands of immigrants who follow the law and come in by legal means. Yet liberals seem to ignore that and focus on the illegals. Why is that? Why do liberals support illegals above US citizens and above those who followed the law and came here legally?
Quote:
Generosity and kindness for whom? Why are illegals special but legals not? Why are citizens not? So you're ok with not checking background? You don't care if they are potentially good citizens or bad citizens? Do you believe you should be able to move to any other country without following their laws or do you believe other countries don't have immigration laws?

Who should pay for your feeling good about your generosity and kindness? You're ok with stealing from others to pay for your good feelings? Because you are stealing. It may be routed through the government to get the money from someone else, but it is stealing from A to give to B.

And who said anything about hair or skin color? Illegal has nothing to do with skin color. So it makes a difference to you what race the illegal is? Is race the all around all purpose liberal answer to any question?
why do YOU generalize. stereotype, and assume so much about liberals? Do you understand the basics of what liberty means? and that it has more to do with people having rights, and not what the written law (currently) says it is.

P.S. This sounds more like you are trying to start another political discussion, and in the wrong forum.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:51 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times
Quote:
And who said anything about hair or skin color? Illegal has nothing to do with skin color.
It has to do with with who has a little piece of paper and who does not.

Quote:
So it makes a difference to you what race the illegal is?
No. What matters to me is the deplorable types who believe they can determine which among a group of people chatting on the sidewalk is illegal simply by driving past them.

Quote:
Is race the all around all purpose liberal answer to any question?
I appreciate your sense of humor.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:00 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
The first thing you need to figure out is how to make statements that are not either unaware of reality, or -- particularly in the great debates subforum -- not apparently intentionally inflammatory.

I'm liberal...at least by your standards. I am not at all in favor of illegal immigration from Mexico or anywhere else. I think there should be an even-handed multicultural policy for immigration that treats various cultures and countries on an equal basis. I am in favor of immediate deportations of illegals who have been convicted of any serious felonies, particularly gang members. Once you take care of all those undesirables, then we can begin to focus on other groups of illegals. Mass deportations are probably not do-able or even desirable (are you going to go out and pick lettuce in California's central valley?). Even some illegals are productive and beneficial to our country. But others are not, and they have no right to be here.

Most of us are not in favor of Trump's wall. But please note many Republicans are "deeply skeptical" of the wall. Personally, I favor using the military to police the border. There are sufficient bases in the area that could do such supervision.

And to be honest, the vast majority of my liberal friends share the sentiments that I just outlined.

Please go to the politics/controversies subforum if you want to throw mud.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:13 PM

280 posts, read 350,486 times
Quote:
Do you realize that every "American" other than native Americans is technically here unwanted? Without "illegal immigration" most Americans would still be in Europe?

I am not actually a liberal. I consider myself too smart to belong to either "side". But I don't get why people like you conveniently erase massive parts of history to support your limited opinions and are amazed when other people don't follow?

Old 02-04-2017, 12:21 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I don't know what you're talking about, OP. Where did you get the idea that "liberals" (whoever that is--the latest bogeyman for a certain political contingent, it would seem) support illegal immigration? Please explain, so we can discuss.

Because mainly it's the hotel, agriculture and to some extent--garment and landscaping industries that support illegal immigration. Liberals want industry to hire American citizens, and to pay them benefits. Industry likes illegals, because they can get away with not paying benefits.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:27 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
You do realize that illegals can be from any country, don't you? Around here we have a lot of dark haired, brown people from south of the border who somehow crossed the border illegally (as they never had a visa) and I want them to be sent back home. Likewise, we also have a lot of blond, white people from across the big pond in Eastern Europe/Russia who arrive on work/student visa's and casually "miss" their flight back home in the fall and end up staying here indefinately and illegally. I want them sent home just as much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.