Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 09:58 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
At this time, there is NO WAY to have an effect on peoples behavior, with regards to driving-while-gadgeting.
I think you meant, "there is NO WAY to NOT have an effect on peoples behavior, with regards to driving-while-gadgeting."

And worse, driving gadgets are proliferating.

Back in '95 I was one of the first to have GPS in my car. Now you are probably a minority if you don't use GPS navigation...

By the way my old Garmin intended for marine application still works! I have to set waypoints by latitude/longitude to use it. I've kept it mainly for a souvenir. I used it mainly in conjunction with aviation sectional maps (to get geo coordinates) for off-road navigation in my 4x4 trips. I also captured all my major camping routes through the 4 corners states. It was great to know hours before I arrived at my destination when I would get to my camping spot.

The "breadcrumb" feature was fantastic for exploring the back roads in Utah!

My iPhone and Siri don't give me time to arrival data as far as I've found.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:46 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Yes I agree completely. It needs to be taken far more seriously.

In fact it might even deserve to be penalized much stiffer.

They give people DUIs nowadays for very very low BA levels. There is a HUGE difference between driving with a .08 and driving with a .25. Texting is 100% distracted and not even looking at the road. That is far more dangerous than somebody driving after they've had a couple of glasses of wine at dinner, yet that person will lose their license and pay ridiculously high fines and the person not even looking at the road will get a $50 slap on the wrist.
We have become ridiculous with DUI laws. Eating and driving is just as dangerous, yet no one gets reprimanded for it.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Some people have the training, youth or mental agility to multi-task better than others, I have a friend that used to be a fighter pilot that can obviously talk on a cell phone and drive with little or no impairment while I have another friend that would be lucky to make it 5 miles without crashing while doing the same.

That being said, I have to wonder about the people that text\talk and drive a lot. They're eventually going to be dropped by their insurance carrier and possibly lose their license if ticketed enough. That's a really expensive lesson to learn and that doesn't include paying deductibles and then of course if you hurt someone you could face even more legal issues.

In the last 12 months I personally know 3 people that have been hit by texting drivers. A neighbor, a friend and a co-worker.
And I do not know one single person that has been involved in a texting accident.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:59 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
We have become ridiculous with DUI laws. Eating and driving is just as dangerous, yet no one gets reprimanded for it.
Eating food while driving doesn't impair your judgement or vision like being under the influence does. It's not even close to being as dangerous as DUI driving.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Eating food while driving doesn't impair your judgement or vision like being under the influence does. It's not even close to being as dangerous as DUI driving.
I can easily drink several beverages and not have my judgement or vision impaired. Everyone handles alcohol differently. Some might be physically intoxicated with one drink. I could drink a bottle of wine or 3-4 bottles of beer and be completely normal.

I was impaired the day I forgot to put my contacts in and was several miles away when I realized I could not see any signs.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:39 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times
Quote:
I can easily drink several beverages and not have my judgement or vision impaired. Everyone handles alcohol differently. Some might be physically intoxicated with one drink. I could drink a bottle of wine or 3-4 bottles of beer and be completely normal.

I was impaired the day I forgot to put my contacts in and was several miles away when I realized I could not see any signs.
That's you. The legal limit on alcohol consumption is so low because just one drink can affect a lot of people.

Regardless your eating food is the same as a drunk driver claim is ridiculous.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:52 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
When you get right down to it, it doesn't matter how much it affects you even if you believe you can drink X amount and drive safely.

We have all been pulled over for sometimes a reason (5mph over the limit, rolling stop past a stop sign) or even no reason. I was pulled over once by some M/C cops because they saw my brand new Triumph Bonneville and just wanted a closer look. We chatted motorcycles a few minutes before they chased off into traffic to find some traffic offenders.

BUT...

If you get pulled over for ANY reason, even expired tags or equipment, and you smell like alcohol, if the officer notices it you will be given a sobriety test. No matter if you are driving perfectly well if you "blow" over the state maximum limit you are going to be arrested for DUI and hauled off to jail.

Think about that when you think you can handle driving safely even when you are consuming more than the barest minimum of alcohol.

IMO nobody can take a chance driving after any more than MAXIMUM of one cocktail, one 6 ox. glass of wine, or one beer. You might be okay if you have two if you linger over a long dinner, perhaps hang around for dessert long enough for your body to metabolize at least enough of your alcohol to get under the legal maximum.

I've been lucky that I almost always can find at least one in my party to be a designated driver and not consume any alcohol.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:05 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

My iPhone and Siri don't give me time to arrival data as far as I've found.
The MapQuest app does.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:08 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
But see NJ About to Ban Driving and Eating discussion NJ Could Ban Drivers From Eating, Drinking Behind the Wheel and New Jersey is considering banning texting while walking.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:23 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
And I do not know one single person that has been involved in a texting accident.

than your lucky,

come talk to me, when a loved one of yours dies because some idiot moron was texting while driving.

yeah, come talk to me then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates