Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 10:32 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,508,053 times

Advertisements

I guess I may be one of them.. and I have no intention of "assimilating" into your local culture. In fact, I never really assimilated into Californian culture when I moved there many years ago either. I will continue being myself instead of assimilating, as long as it's legal to do so.

Over 30 years ago, my family immigrated to the US. Since birth, I've lived in 4 different states and 3 different continents, let alone countries. I honestly don't identify with my own birth country's culture or the culture of any of the states I've lived in. The only culture I somewhat identify with are highly educated and tech-savvy older (30-something) millennial. I feel I have far more in common with an educated and tech-savvy millennial in say, France, Russia, India, Brazil, China, etc. than I do with a random person from Texas (where I currently live) or California (where I lived for the last 15 years.)

I do admit I "absorb" aspects of a local culture if I live there long enough. But I never completely assimilate; I spend a good chunk of my free time online anyways and those online communities are the same whether I access them in Kansas, Alaska, Nigeria, etc. you get the picture.

So anyways, I really fail to see how people like me are ruining the local culture of a place whenever we move somewhere new.. and based on my past history of frequent moves, I don't think Texas is the last state I'll be calling home in my lifetime.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:17 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,074,600 times
Your statements sound like you feel like an outsider wherever you go, except when you're online. I wonder why?

Old 05-16-2017, 11:22 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,097,841 times
So, basically, you complain that people expect you to "assimilate" and how you don't assimilate. How does that at all have anything to do with your conclusion that people who don't assimilate do not change or ruin the local culture? What you say doesn't give any weight for or against that argument.

Sounds like you need a blog.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 PM

8,896 posts, read 6,928,647 times
I'd rather people keep their own culture vs. becoming "just another local." At least the good parts...if you come from a place where littering and driving recklessly are ok, don't continue those parts.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:03 AM

7,742 posts, read 6,497,355 times
You do realise that assimilation does not mean changing everything about who you are, right? If anything, it means adding something new to your identity. No one has a problem with bringing new positive perspectives, bringing new foods and sharing your own culture, what people do have a problem with is people who complain about where they move to without doing anything to make it better, or who want to change the way things are for no good reason besides self interest, or who talk down to the locals as if they're lesser. That's what ticks people off.

I pronounce "pecan" as "pee-kan" and I'm not saying "pih-cawn" (unless talking about butter pecan) because its not natural for me to say it like that, but I'm also not going to tell a native Texan to say "pee-kan" instead. Its their nut!

Old 05-17-2017, 04:25 AM

18,951 posts, read 11,618,184 times
given the thread title and that no debate has been set forth in the OP, this thread is closed. Agreed with the poster who recommended a blog - we do offer that feature here at City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates