Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2017, 12:01 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

With some of the actions that we have been seeing in the news lately such as University of Berkley mobs shutting down guest speakers that are controversial and the graduates walking out on VP Pence at Notre Dame because they don't care for his message.
There are many other places of higher learning throughout the nation that seem to be educating the masses and giving them degrees that are sometimes worthless in the real world.

The graduates earn their degrees but what seems to be lacking is the degree in critical thinking.

We have so many people today that will grab onto a headline, snippet of news or soundbite and look no further for other opinions, evidence and actual facts. This failure allows fake news to thrive and it is very easy to mislead and manipulate people with it.

The question is we have more people then ever graduating from college with their fancy expensive degrees yet they seem to lack the means for critical thinking. They can't seem to think outside the box that their education put them in and this is a real problem when they get outside academia and into the real world where they need to be more flexible.

Does someone have a better chance at a good life with a college degree or if they are able to use their minds for critical thought and have the flexibility to weigh all options to make an intelligent decision?

Old 05-24-2017, 12:04 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
The error in your thinking, in my view, is the same error that we see in so many posts in so many threads on this forum -- that situations are either/or.

I have known blue collar workers who are great critical thinkers.
I have known well educated people who are fonts of knowledge, but not critical thinkers.

When I read your OP, what I hear is just another of the anti-intellectual anti-education posts that are in vogue now by one segment of our population.

My guess is that this thread will sink very quickly into being closed.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:07 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The error in your thinking, in my view, is the same error that we see in so many posts in so many threads on this forum -- that situations are either/or.
Can't be said enough

Old 05-24-2017, 01:46 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
While I was learning the Science part of Environmental Studies in college I was also learning the art of critical thinking from my Historian wife.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:55 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
As is evidenced in this forum, lots of people think they're critical thinkers.

And then there are those who simply don't have much to think about. They aren't well read. They take information only from sources they like. They expound based on talking points of political sources.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:42 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I think it is odd how people take the time to be critical of a post and question the intelligence of the poster yet bring nothing to the debate. Why do they even respond at all?

Back to the debate.
If we take the graduates that walked out on Pence at the commencement ceremony I believe that those kids despite their degrees lack the means for critical thinking. If what is being talked about they don't listen and then respond with something intelligent but they chose to turn their backs and walk out.
College used to be places where all sorts of ideas were exchanged and talked about but now it seems that institutions of higher learning have dropped the basic idea that people have differing opinions and right or wrong they are still worthy of listening to.

Are the walking kids of Notre Dame and the mob that has shut down the first amendment right of speakers and those who would like to listen have any capacity to consider alternative views or have they been taught to shut down and avoid the conversation simply because they do not like what is being said?

Is critical thinking something that a open minded person learns with experience?

Old 05-24-2017, 02:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think it is odd how people take the time to be critical of a post and question the intelligence of the poster yet bring nothing to the debate. Why do they even respond at all?

Back to the debate.
If we take the graduates that walked out on Pence at the commencement ceremony I believe that those kids despite their degrees lack the means for critical thinking. If what is being talked about they don't listen and then respond with something intelligent but they chose to turn their backs and walk out.
College used to be places where all sorts of ideas were exchanged and talked about but now it seems that institutions of higher learning have dropped the basic idea that people have differing opinions and right or wrong they are still worthy of listening to.

Are the walking kids of Notre Dame and the mob that has shut down the first amendment right of speakers and those who would like to listen have any capacity to consider alternative views or have they been taught to shut down and avoid the conversation simply because they do not like what is being said?

Is critical thinking something that a open minded person learns with experience?
Walking out of a speech does not impact anyone's first amendment rights.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:58 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,597,475 times
No debate established. Thread closed.

Check Politics & Other Controversies to see if there already are threads about how pointless, or how awesome, it was for people to walk on those speeches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.