Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 08:01 PM

529 posts, read 507,937 times

Advertisements

Or do the circumstances and other things matter? My apologies for the vague question, but I'm kind of thinking about it more on a conceptual level of good and evil, and if there is inherent value in assigning such labels to individuals because of actions they may carry out.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:27 PM

146 posts, read 174,407 times
I find it interesting that labels are used to describe someone who only committed a single despicable act as if it rules their whole life.

For example, men on the former show with Chris Hansen, To Catch A Predator. Now I think that having ex with anyone that isn't conesting is despicable and deserves serious legal ramifications but honestly...I don't think one act defines them.

People call those guys 'rapists', 'cowards' because they can only chat and have sex with 13yr old guys rather than calling the act itself cowardly or despicable.

You have a 35yr old IT expert who has worked with computers for a long time. He has 3 kids and a wife and is considered a good father and husband but because he touches a kid once....he's a 'rapist'. Now tell me why should 1 single act of a small percentage of someones life triumph over the good that they've done in their life?

Old 06-18-2017, 08:39 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,187 times
Try to convince the rape victim that the perp isn't "really" a bad person.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:51 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
What do you mean by "bad things?" Police officer who has to kill a bad guy to save an innocent? A soldier? If so, one who fought for freedom or a Nazi death camp guard?

Too vague to answer.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:55 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,133,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftylot24 View Post
I find it interesting that labels are used to describe someone who only committed a single despicable act as if it rules their whole life.

For example, men on the former show with Chris Hansen, To Catch A Predator. Now I think that having ex with anyone that isn't conesting is despicable and deserves serious legal ramifications but honestly...I don't think one act defines them.

People call those guys 'rapists', 'cowards' because they can only chat and have sex with 13yr old guys rather than calling the act itself cowardly or despicable.

You have a 35yr old IT expert who has worked with computers for a long time. He has 3 kids and a wife and is considered a good father and husband but because he touches a kid once....he's a 'rapist'. Now tell me why should 1 single act of a small percentage of someones life triumph over the good that they've done in their life?
What a frightening post. Are you sure this isn't some sort of confession? Have you considered the intellectual conflation here? The extreme moral relativism? How about taking this hypothetical logic through to fruition?

Old 06-19-2017, 01:08 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:

I actually know a person who made a single mistake and paid for it for the rest of his life. We all have to try to not make bad choices always.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:09 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,644,982 times
Quote:

This is different than just about anything else. People would forgive a murderer before a child molester. I think the only act that would be equal would be rape of the elderly. When the most vulnerable are the victim there is no way you can just gloss over the behavior.

I wonder why you mention " IT expert that worked with computers a long time." How does that have anything to do with what he did?

Old 06-19-2017, 07:21 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,207,356 times
Good Bad Evil ?

I think it all depends on the severity of the deed and more importantly how the person deals with it in the aftermath.
Many terrible acts can be justified with the simple phrase "he had it coming" or "I was just following orders"

A soldier in war kills people and may become a hero but remove the war and he is a murderer.

It is all about justification and the level of guilt the person feels when the smoke clears.
A person who feels nothing at the end of the day could be a monster or justified in his thinking.

I wonder if Bill Cosby considers himself a rapist?

We assign labels to people to describe their actions so we can understand ourselves better.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:38 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I actually know a person who made a single mistake and paid for it for the rest of his life. We all have to try to not make bad choices always.
It wasn't a mistake.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:44 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
Or do the circumstances and other things matter? My apologies for the vague question, but I'm kind of thinking about it more on a conceptual level of good and evil, and if there is inherent value in assigning such labels to individuals because of actions they may carry out.
We are what we do and do.
EVil is as evil does.
Society assigns labels because those who are consumed by evil cannot be reformed, its proven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates