Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 12:35 PM

62 posts, read 201,079 times

Advertisements

I wish to pose the question, as to what good comes from debating topics on the internet. I, of course, am referring to forums such as this one, but also to social media in general, especially the current Twitter usage. People get onto forums, and post their views on various topics. These views are read and responded to by hundreds, sometimes thousands of persons. However, I cannot recall a time when someone had a major viewpoint changed by a discussion, and it is rare for someone to even concede defeat on a minor point. The twitter rows and forum debates all seem an endless recycling of the same topics over and over, with well established viewpoints, usually being drawn on a liberal/conservative divide and no one ever being able to convert the other side to their viewpoint.

In addition, a quick review of topics, quickly reveals that most forums are about topics that are already being discussed in traditional media, such as the news. Twitter feedback is usually in response to some news story rather than creating a new story for the news. So not only do these debates not solve questions, they do not even raise new questions; they simply rehash questions asked in traditional media.

Admittedly, Facebook and Twitter posts find themselves onto the news more, but I would ask what good does it do? Usually only people who already have the public's attention, such as Trump, get their posts displayed in a national manner. And once a post makes it's way to the mainstream media, it is controlled by the discussions allowed on the news; by the people invited to participate. A lot of opinions that I have read on the internet would be too extreme, usually to the right, but sometimes to the left of the news, however, they seem to be shared by many people.

I have drawn the conclusion, that internet debate only serves to create the false impression in the population at large, that they have a voice in this (and other countries') actions. It is a steam release valve for pubic discontent. Analyzing my own motives is difficult, but probably it stems from the same desire to 'make my voice heard', along with a genuine interest in what other people have to say.

Does anyone agree, or have other ideas that I may have overlooked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 01:16 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
... and yet, here you are on the Great Debates forum seeking to start a discussion about debates!

While some may only seek to "make their voice heard," I think most of us are genuinely interested (as are you), in other ideas or viewpoints they may have overlooked. While it is unusual for someone to admit, "Wow, you really proved me wrong!" ... most of us develop our views incrementally, rather than in one fell swoop.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:35 PM

378 posts, read 230,292 times
By engaging in civil debates with anonymous users through cyberspace, one gains more knowledge and insight on the topics argued about. Some may get heated and the devil's advocate might come out to play, but it's all about learning when all is said and done.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:09 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
First.. don't confuse anything on the internet, including this sub forum, with anything resembling debate.

With that understood and with pretentious posturing ignored...
the differing ideas and reasoning behind them can be laid out and read and absorbed
--- and then critiqued or ridiculed or ignored.

The world won't be changed by any of it but few heads here and there will be opened to new ideas
or at least new ways of considering old ideas and assumptions.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:50 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,995 times
I vent out my frustration and give my point of view and experience. I like to hear other points of view. Learn from what people post and where they get their news and info.

Nice to know many people here share the same ideologies, may be slightly different at times but were on the same page. Surprised to see how far apart some people could be.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:58 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Many do it for fun as well. Express an opinion, counter another statement made by someone and when possible get a laugh.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:30 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,245,351 times
It is highly unlikely any internet debate will convince any participant to change his/her mind. You aren't trying to do that, or even to make your opponent conceed any of your points. That rarely happens these days.

But other people are also reading, and may be on the fence or even slightly against you. If you present logical, realistic arguments it's very possible to bring someone who is moderately against you over to your side.

This is especially beneficial in arguments that have direct health benefits. Topics like vaccinations, global warming, whether the government has the right to require driver's licenses and set up sobriety checkpoints, etc. You'll never convince a hard-core anti-vaxxer with logic and facts. But maybe you'll convince a young mother who has just started "researching" on the anti-vax sites, and you may just save a life (or many).

So go ahead and get into that Facebook comment argument with your crazy aunt.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:35 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
I vent out my frustration and give my point of view and experience. I like to hear other points of view. Learn from what people post and where they get their news and info.

Nice to know many people here share the same ideologies, may be slightly different at times but were on the same page. Surprised to see how far apart some people could be.
This expresses my POV.

I blow off steam. I also enjoy the writing and the thinking that goes into a nicely written post, which may be further and fewer between given the more you post the less time you have to think things through.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:35 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
I enjoy a good debate, it isn't about winning or losing a debate, it's about seeing other people opinions and they do matter. I live in Oregon, and my views may be different that someone living in the mid-west or the east coast, it is refreshing to see what other think about a subject.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:15 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
There are a limited number of times that I have changed my mind as a result of internet debate, just as there are times I have hardened my position due to internet debate. There are times I gain a greater understanding of those who have a different viewpoint than mine, and there are other times I become more convinced that those on the other side of an issue are ------- nuts (or total morons).

But internet debate rarely leaves the situation static.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates