Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:40 AM

310 posts, read 777,712 times

Advertisements

All I hear about opiates abuse and alcohol abuse is that people are dying of these terrible diseases. Cancer is a disease. MS is a disease. Even the common cold is a disease. How is drinking or eating pills all day to mess with your conscienceless a disease? You did it. How come smoking isn't a disease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 10:10 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdontcare View Post
All I hear about opiates abuse and alcohol abuse is that people are dying of these terrible diseases. Cancer is a disease. MS is a disease. Even the common cold is a disease. How is drinking or eating pills all day to mess with your conscienceless a disease? You did it. How come smoking isn't a disease?
There was a debate about this on our local (Boston) call in talk program last night. Most people who called in do not like it being called a disease. It is a choice. I think it is a choice at first and then it becomes a form of disease. As someone who called in explained, once they are addicted, they do not even know they are addicted. And of course, they cannot stop.

In the past I thought of it more as mental illness. Where do you draw the line between mental and physical illness? The brain chemistry is changed. But in many people who are mentally ill, it's said to be due to a problem with brain chemistry. Yet those people are called mentally ill.

Maybe it's a mental illness just as schizophrenia is a mental illness. But opiate abuse started off as a choice and schizophrenia did not.

People who called into the program last night wanted the dealers to be jailed for life. Sometimes I feel that they should be sent somewhere far away and locked up to keep them away from other people. The dealers are the ones who help the others to become addicted.

I think it is a form of mental illness but I don't have much sympathy because this didn't come out of nowhere. They chose to have a mental illness. It's probably been classified as a disease so that they can get help. (Although most cannot be helped and relapse over and over.)

Old 08-11-2017, 10:48 AM

50,751 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
It is. The disease is called Addiction. It covers all substances. Addiction to some substances, like alcohol, can easily lead to a person being non-functional, and certainly leads to chronic disability and other diseases, while the disease of addiction to smoking does not incapacitate a person or make them non-functional (until they develop another disease such as COPD).

The definition of disease is "a disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, especially one that produces specific signs or symptoms or that affects a specific location and is not simply a direct result of physical injury."

So needing nicotine to function normally, and displaying signs and symptoms of nicotine addiction (and yes, there are physical withdrawal symptoms) qualifies it as a disease.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:27 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Addiction is not a disease,
it's a mental problem, and it's only a problem when it affects people normal function in our society

Just like gambling,
that's why it is illegal in Texas

Old 08-11-2017, 01:38 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Addiction is a chronic disease characterized by drug seeking and use that is compulsive, or difficult to control, despite harmful consequences.
Drug addiction follows a similar pattern to other chronic diseases such as asthma and diabetes. The patient will go into remission, but may have several relapses before beating the disease entirely. And like these diseases, addiction too can be treated and managed.
Most addictions are classified as a disease in The International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10) and The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5).

And no, gambling is not illegal in Texas because can lead to addiction.
Texas Gambling Laws - FindLaw

Horse/dog racing and social gambling (bingo, auctions for charity, and private card games) is allowed.
Also Native American lands are not subject to the same state gambling laws.
The Texas constitution has a provision that goes back 100 years that prohibits gambling in Texas so, gambling is not something that the legislature could pass if it wanted to without voter approval.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:45 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
There was a debate about this on our local (Boston) call in talk program last night. Most people who called in do not like it being called a disease. It is a choice. I think it is a choice at first and then it becomes a form of disease. As someone who called in explained, once they are addicted, they do not even know they are addicted. And of course, they cannot stop.

In the past I thought of it more as mental illness. Where do you draw the line between mental and physical illness? The brain chemistry is changed. But in many people who are mentally ill, it's said to be due to a problem with brain chemistry. Yet those people are called mentally ill.

Maybe it's a mental illness just as schizophrenia is a mental illness. But opiate abuse started off as a choice and schizophrenia did not.

People who called into the program last night wanted the dealers to be jailed for life. Sometimes I feel that they should be sent somewhere far away and locked up to keep them away from other people. The dealers are the ones who help the others to become addicted.

I think it is a form of mental illness but I don't have much sympathy because this didn't come out of nowhere. They chose to have a mental illness. It's probably been classified as a disease so that they can get help. (Although most cannot be helped and relapse over and over.)
People don't choose to get addicted. People CHOOSE to get pain relief...others CHOOSE to get high...no one thinks THEY'LL get addicted. And not everyone DOES get addicted - it's not 100%. That's the difference.

Do people CHOOSE to get diabetes? They ate all the wrong things...got fat from lots of carbs. Wasn't THAT a choice? No, not everyone gets diabetes from bad eating habits but they should have known better, right? Why take a chance? Gluttons, weak...

Old 08-12-2017, 11:24 PM

510 posts, read 370,762 times
IMO, taking excessive amounts of pills or alcohol, or smoking cigarettes aren't a disease but things that could lead to disease/sickness or death. Most who have these things probably weren't feeling good and they think these things make them feel better. Or it could be just copying others, or something genetic,

Symptoms of a problem might be the better description for excessive drug use than use is a disease. The problem causing use could be almost anything, physical and/or mental stress would seem most likely.

Quote:

Old 08-13-2017, 01:37 AM

834 posts, read 528,603 times
Rush Limbaugh blasted those with addictions for years and made millions doing it. When he became addicted to pills though it was suddenly a disease.

So the answer to why some addictions are called diseases and some aren't is, "perspective".

Old 08-13-2017, 02:15 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
I always thought a disease was something airborne that could be caught by others... , booze , drugs and cigarettes no..

Old 08-13-2017, 03:46 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I always thought a disease was something airborne that could be caught by others... ,but I suppose that comes under infectious diseases...... booze , drugs and cigarettes no..
surely all self inflicted addictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates