Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 12:28 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

The longer I live the more I think and realize nothing is For Sure, Black & White, Absolute.

We are thrown so many stats, tests, research by so so many and who do you believe, who you choose to, that's who. Everyone is Paid to do what they do and one has to decide who to Pay.

What foods are good for us, what foods are not. Coffee is good, then it's not.

What causes cancers, diabetes, everyone has their theories. And same with arthritis which is what I deal with.

Just hearing about the Johnson&Johnson Talc lawsuit and J&J claim it is not dangerous and then this major lawsuit of some $400M due to a woman who got cancer.

So as I see it what is Absolute, Death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 12:33 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The longer I live the more I think and realize nothing is For Sure, Black & White, Absolute.

We are thrown so many stats, tests, research by so so many and who do you believe, who you choose to, that's who. Everyone is Paid to do what they do and one has to decide who to Pay.

What foods are good for us, what foods are not. Coffee is good, then it's not.

What causes cancers, diabetes, everyone has their theories. And same with arthritis which is what I deal with.

Just hearing about the Johnson&Johnson Talc lawsuit and J&J claim it is not dangerous and then this major lawsuit of some $400M due to a woman who got cancer.

That talc lawsuit, to me, is a no-brainer. As a person with 2 degrees in geology, I ALWAYS knew that in nature talc and asbestos usually occur together. There is no doubt in my mind that in all talcum powder you would find some asbestos.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That talc lawsuit, to me, is a no-brainer. As a person with 2 degrees in geology, I ALWAYS knew that in nature talc and asbestos usually occur together. There is no doubt in my mind that in all talcum powder you would find some asbestos.
So much of this talc is used by the population, babies up. Not everyone has degrees as you do. J&J had no warning labels as I understand it. To me it's a no brainer NOT to use this talc on private areas but it's done every day by brainless people including men in their private areas. Just hearing about it on my radio station, many men use it and then one said he used corn starch, a smart one.

I say if you need to use a powder, buy from a health food store establishment with no chemicals.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:39 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
I see it differently. The older I get the clearer things are. We've made things so ridiculously complicated.

Simplify, simplify, simplify. Things become a lot more defined when stripped of all the clutter/noise/marketing/abc agencies/latest expert said so/must have this product nonsense.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:46 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I see it differently. The older I get the clearer things are. We've made things so ridiculously complicated.

Simplify, simplify, simplify. Things become a lot more defined when stripped of all the clutter/noise/marketing/abc agencies/latest expert said so/must have this product nonsense.
So true. To thine own self, be true. Or, if I think something is right, or true, based upon my experience, then it is.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

Oh I agree the older I get, things are clearer, a lot of Grey matter everywhere. People argue their facts and figures and I do mine but I am pretty clear on what I'm choosing to choose.

I have gone thru major simplification but still have to live and make decisions and choices. But I go with my experiences.

And here we go with spending more billions on wars...that we've been trying to WIN for 16 yrs...wonder what the prize is.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:53 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

The problem is the less-inquiring, less-educated compulsive follower who seeks absolute security at all costs; and then can be gulled into the "lawsuit mentality"; I used to occasionally sell "absolute security"; it was three feet wide, ten feet long, and six feet deep.

Not everyone who uses talcum power (and that also depends on how much is used, and where it's applied) is going to get cancer, just as not everyone who smokes is going to get it, but the link between cancer and tobacco is obviously much more apparent than a link between cancer and talcum.

Johnson and Johnson is a company which has paid close attention to consumer sensitivities ever since the Tylenol poisoning incident of 35 years ago, and as with the increasing public awareness about asbestos, some arrangement for settling liability will likely be set up; That's how a mature, media-conscious society and economy handle such issues.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-22-2017 at 01:11 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 09:12 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,282 times
I mean... People not always knowing the truth isn't the same as the truth not existing.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:50 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
I mean... People not always knowing the truth isn't the same as the truth not existing.
True. 150 years ago people did not know the truth that it was possible for machines and men to fly. But, here we are, zipping around the world in airplanes and into space in spaceships.

Who knows what big truths like that exist that we haven't learned yet?

And, I do think that the truth is often subject to change as new knowledge and information develops.

But, those are big picture truths. There are also truths that relate to the individual experience.

For instance, in my life, I know where I currently live, who in my family is living and dead, what degrees I've earned and from where, what jobs I've held in the past, how much money is in my checking account today and what I am doing right at this moment. Those are all truths that I can prove.

However, many things we accept as individual truths can also be distorted through the filter of memory and bias.

Example: my husband and I have experienced many events together at the exact same time, yet his memory of those events is often different than mine, and vice versa. So, when it comes to my past, I recognize that what I remember happening or experiencing may be distorted from actual truth by what I did and did not see or hear, faulty memory, my individual biases, etc.

So, just because I believe that the way I remember something happening is "the truth" that doesn't make it so.

And, of course, I really know nothing about the truth of anyone else's experience. I may, for instance, know that my husband was in the room with me when I delivered our children, but I don't know exactly everything he was thinking and feeling at the time. So, the only truth I know about that event was that my husband was in the room with me and that I gave birth (I have the birth certificates and photos to prove it.).

I guess the bottom line is that the full truth can often be unknowable.

But, as said above, just because it is unknowable doesn't mean it isn't true.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:32 PM

One thing none of us will ever know FOR SURE, how all this all happened....the universe. Many theories.

I ended up with a knee infection and NOT SURE how I got it. Speculating either from acupuncture jabs or a Prolotherapy injection. I use a pendulum and decided to just today do a question as to which of the two were the causes, and it came up prolo injection. I've been getting these injections for about 10 yrs and if this is the reason, it's the very first side effect. Pendulum work is energy work. But, is this the truth, I think so, but again not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates