Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 02:29 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
You may be metaphorically challenged. Of course nations are homes. You can use the metaphor at a macro level and it works just as well.
I stand by my statement that there are millions of people in your home country right now that you would not let into your home so the 'you wouldn't let x into your home' metaphor is senseless.

Quote:
Why do we need devoted ESL teachers? If we admit people in a measured manner they can acquire the language by immersion just as well as my family did with no ESL teachers several generations ago.
I believe that devoted ESL teachers will speed up the process and be a better use of public school time than sitting in a class that you don't understand.

The rest of your post had nothing to do with me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 04:17 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Really? all three economies seem to be doing quite well. Especially Texas. This fear mongering mentality is the problem. One thing to enforce immigration laws out of principle, it's another thing to spread wide panic and claim that they are all rapists and murderers or will destroy our economy.
Get out of my head Ro2113. I just came back from a business trip in California and I definitely didn't see any "devastated economy" and prior to the hurricane Texans are forever bragging about how they are one of the few states with a great economy and balance budget. (I'm not from Texas so can't verify the validity of this claim)

Old 09-03-2017, 04:27 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It's a matter of adjustment. I think it's reasonable in adding any unfamiliar population to any other to allow an adjustment period before adding an additional population. You're asking for divisiveness and chaos doing it this way even in a classroom where everyone is from the same culture. Understanding of human nature dictates that these things take time and patience.

Older generations find it difficult to learn new language and customs and young people take a while to get in synch. Let's not overload our schools with people who are unteachable because they can't understand what is being said. What about a workforce with people who are unable to yet speak the language?

I'm pro-immigration. It's in my family's history and is what this country has been based upon. But I want to see smart immigration. That's screening people for disease and crime. Our forefathers had enough common sense to know that and it's what made this country exceptional.

If you think about it at the micro level you realize it's just common sense. Would you let an unlimited number of people into your home without knowing if they were going to steal from you or make your kids sick?

All who want to be constructive citizens should be welcomed, I think as their names come to the forefront on the list.
???

Do you have any idea what an immigrant has to do to become an naturalized US citizen???. and If I remember my history correctly (it wasn't my favorite subject so I could definitely be wrong) basically the only "medical" test immigrants got earlier was a check for head lice and a cough to make sure you didn't have TB. So what procedures did our "forefathers" do that we some how don't do.

??? Sorry my husband family is from Portuguese (my late husband 1st generation citizen) and you make it sound like someone shows up at the airport and says "I'm here" and then becomes a citizen? there is most definitely a lengthy screening process. On average from green card to naturalized citizen can take between 3-5 years.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:20 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
???

Do you have any idea what an immigrant has to do to become an naturalized US citizen???. and If I remember my history correctly (it wasn't my favorite subject so I could definitely be wrong) basically the only "medical" test immigrants got earlier was a check for head lice and a cough to make sure you didn't have TB. So what procedures did our "forefathers" do that we some how don't do.

??? Sorry my husband family is from Portuguese (my late husband 1st generation citizen) and you make it sound like someone shows up at the airport and says "I'm here" and then becomes a citizen? there is most definitely a lengthy screening process. On average from green card to naturalized citizen can take between 3-5 years.
I think you've missed the subject of my concern. My point is that immigration be slowed to be more manageable as it previously was. Perhaps you aren't aware that the country used to shut down immigration for periods of time to allow for assimilation.

It's nearly always taken a long time for a person to become a citizen. It was even longer during the beginning of the country.

Remember I am also from a family of immigrants so I am aware of their personal experiences. But I am not talking about imposing hardships upon individuals only a better regulated flow.

If you'd like to answer your own questions the answers are available on Google via history of immigration requirements.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:23 PM

322 posts, read 286,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
With the migrant crisis in Europe, North America etc. what if all countries were to ban any and all refugees? The vast majority just bring crime, hatred, an unwillingness to assimilate or work, and many diseases from wherever they came. What if every country just said enough is enough, and none would accept any whatsoever for any reason?

Sounds like a good deal to me!
You sound like a racist bigot.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:33 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
With the migrant crisis in Europe, North America etc. what if all countries were to ban any and all refugees? The vast majority just bring crime, hatred, an unwillingness to assimilate or work, and many diseases from wherever they came. What if every country just said enough is enough, and none would accept any whatsoever for any reason?

Sounds like a good deal to me!
Ah, so grateful that my fleeing ancestors made it in under your wire.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:56 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I think "xenophobe" is the word we're looking for here.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:24 AM

1,059 posts, read 830,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Really? all three economies seem to be doing quite well. Especially Texas. This fear mongering mentality is the problem. One thing to enforce immigration laws out of principle, it's another thing to spread wide panic and claim that they are all rapists and murderers or will destroy our economy.
California is NOT doing well... it is running at a deficit.

I do not recall anyone saying "they are all rapists and murderers." Even Trump did not refer to ALL illegals when he made that famous statement. No widespread panic going on - just the facts.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:25 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I'm against the illegal part of the argument. Laws are made to protect the society.

But I have to say - many countries have become cesspools and many migrate to create cesspools elsewhere. There are unfortunate victims in those countries. Too bad. We have victims of our own we should be taking care of.

I can't stop my thoughts from the one little Cuban immigrant boy who the country cheered as he was sent back to that oppressive country. Where were you all then?

Old 09-04-2017, 07:31 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I can't stop my thoughts from the one little Cuban immigrant boy who the country cheered as he was sent back to that oppressive country. Where were you all then?
Who cheered?

I think people were impressed somewhat that the Rule of Law and the Court Cases actually worked.

In the scheme of history, unfortunately, "one little boy" means little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates