Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 10:01 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times

Advertisements

Many take these humanitarian discussion to extreme 'either/or' positions. Some insist the U.S. must take all displaced immigrants with no restrictions - or stand accused of heartlessly opposing suffering people fleeing war torn countries. It ignores the border-protecting policies of other countries in the MidEast and Europe as well as the one-million immigrants who "legally" enter the U.S. annually.

Like it or not, countries have immigration quotas for a reason, not the least of which is self-preservation. Consider, for example, the utter destruction of the West German economy, when the wall between East and West Germany came down. Look at the devatation being wreaked on the California, Texas and Arizona economies by the unfettered flow of undocumented workers flooding across our Southern borders ... most of whom subsequently tap-into benefits provided by and for U.S. taxpayers.

Should the U.S. increase it's immigration beyond the one million annually? ... Perhaps. Should the U.S. allow it's immigration quota's to be entirely determined by the number of people who want to immigrate to the U.S. and can find a means to get here? ... Of course not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 10:22 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Many take these humanitarian discussion to extreme 'either/or' positions. Some insist the U.S. must take all displaced immigrants with no restrictions - or stand accused of heartlessly opposing suffering people fleeing war torn countries. It ignores the border-protecting policies of other countries in the MidEast and Europe as well as the one-million immigrants who "legally" enter the U.S. annually.

Like it or not, countries have immigration quotas for a reason, not the least of which is self-preservation. Consider, for example, the utter destruction of the West German economy, when the wall between East and West Germany came down. Look at the devatation being wreaked on the California, Texas and Arizona economies by the unfettered flow of undocumented workers flooding across our Southern borders ... most of whom subsequently tap-into benefits provided by and for U.S. taxpayers.

Should the U.S. increase it's immigration beyond the one million annually? ... Perhaps. Should the U.S. allow it's immigration quota's to be entirely determined by the number of people who want to immigrate to the U.S. and can find a means to get here? ... Of course not!
Really? all three economies seem to be doing quite well. Especially Texas. This fear mongering mentality is the problem. One thing to enforce immigration laws out of principle, it's another thing to spread wide panic and claim that they are all rapists and murderers or will destroy our economy.

Last edited by Ro2113; 09-03-2017 at 11:21 AM..

Old 09-03-2017, 11:07 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
It's a matter of adjustment. I think it's reasonable in adding any unfamiliar population to any other to allow an adjustment period before adding an additional population. You're asking for divisiveness and chaos doing it this way even in a classroom where everyone is from the same culture. Understanding of human nature dictates that these things take time and patience.

Older generations find it difficult to learn new language and customs and young people take a while to get in synch. Let's not overload our schools with people who are unteachable because they can't understand what is being said. What about a workforce with people who are unable to yet speak the language?

I'm pro-immigration. It's in my family's history and is what this country has been based upon. But I want to see smart immigration. That's screening people for disease and crime. Our forefathers had enough common sense to know that and it's what made this country exceptional.

If you think about it at the micro level you realize it's just common sense. Would you let an unlimited number of people into your home without knowing if they were going to steal from you or make your kids sick?

All who want to be constructive citizens should be welcomed, I think as their names come to the forefront on the list.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:22 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It's a matter of adjustment. I think it's reasonable in adding any unfamiliar population to any other to allow an adjustment period before adding an additional population. You're asking for divisiveness and chaos doing it this way even in a classroom where everyone is from the same culture. Understanding of human nature dictates that these things take time and patience.

Older generations find it difficult to learn new language and customs and young people take a while to get in synch. Let's not overload our schools with people who are unteachable because they can't understand what is being said. What about a workforce with people who are unable to yet speak the language?

I'm pro-immigration. It's in my family's history and is what this country has been based upon. But I want to see smart immigration. That's screening people for disease and crime. Our forefathers had enough common sense to know that and it's what made this country exceptional.

If you think about it at the micro level you realize it's just common sense. Would you let an unlimited number of people into your home without knowing if they were going to steal from you or make your kids sick?

All who want to be constructive citizens should be welcomed, I think as their names come to the forefront on the list.
I don't think people understand this nuance. Many of the children of these immigrants actually assimilate into society well.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:54 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I don't think people understand this nuance. Many of the children of these immigrants actually assimilate into society well.
really.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:18 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Would you let an unlimited number of people into your home without knowing if they were going to steal from you or make your kids sick?
Nations are not homes, I hate when people use this analogy.

If you're a normal person, there are hundreds of things going on in the country that you condone, that you'd never allow in your home.

Take smoking. No smoking in my home. I in no way think that my fellow citizens should be banned from smoking.
No firearms in my home. I don't want to ban weapons from the United States.
There are millions of American citizens I would not want in my home. They have the right to be in America.

Take your own argument here
Quote:
If a family member (some one who lives in your home) were stealing from you would you continue to let them live in your home? Are you trying to deport American citizens who are thieves?

Quote:
Let's not overload our schools with people who are unteachable because they can't understand what is being said
We need devoted ESL teachers to give intensive language training to immigrants so they can participate socially and in our education system.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:31 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Really? all three economies seem to be doing quite well. Especially Texas. This fear mongering mentality is the problem. One thing to enforce immigration laws out of principle, it's another thing to spread wide panic and claim that they are all rapists and murderers or will destroy our economy.

"Fear mongering" is simply an emotionally applied euphemism for "inconvenient, fact-based reality." Nobody is claiming illegal immigrants are ALL rapists and murderers or will destroy our economy - or that ALL illegal immigrants are a problem. The real "fear mongering," as stated in my initial post, is the suggestion that ALL illegal immigration is a good thing and that ANY controls or limits are heartless and immoral. One inescapable fact is that uncontrolled illegal immigration has a negative impact on several state economies and costs the U.S. somewhere around $150 billion per year (direct cost), in addition to jobs and other indirect costs.

All States: State Cost Studies | Federation for American Immigration Reform
General: Illegal Immigrants Cost U.S. $100 Billion per Year, Conservative Group Says About Illegal Immigration - ABC News

Texas: https://www.texaspolicy.com/library/...as-Economy.pdf
Texas: https://www.nationaleconomicseditori...nalysis-texas/

Calif.: https://www.nationaleconomicseditori...on-california/
Calif.: California bears the costs of illegal immigration - San Francisco Chronicle

One need only be willing to step beyond emotion-laden rhetoric and examine the FACTS to recognize the economic impact of ILLEGAL immigration.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:49 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
The vast majority just bring crime, hatred, an unwillingness to assimilate or work, and many diseases from wherever they came.
Bullpuckies. The vast majority are people just like you and me, trying to get away from a horrendous situation. There ARE criminals among them, but not the majority.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:12 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Nations are not homes, I hate when people use this analogy.

If you're a normal person, there are hundreds of things going on in the country that you condone, that you'd never allow in your home.

Take smoking. No smoking in my home. I in no way think that my fellow citizens should be banned from smoking.
No firearms in my home. I don't want to ban weapons from the United States.
There are millions of American citizens I would not want in my home. They have the right to be in America.

Take your own argument here

If a family member (some one who lives in your home) were stealing from you would you continue to let them live in your home? Are you trying to deport American citizens who are thieves?

We need devoted ESL teachers to give intensive language training to immigrants so they can participate socially and in our education system.
You may be metaphorically challenged. Of course nations are homes. You can use the metaphor at a macro level and it works just as well.

Why do we need devoted ESL teachers? If we admit people in a measured manner they can acquire the language by immersion just as well as my family did with no ESL teachers several generations ago.

Why is the concept of careful immigration so difficult to grasp? A healthy society should be a priority for us all. Same with exclusion of career criminals. Why would anyone want anything less?

Old 09-03-2017, 02:20 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
With the migrant crisis in Europe, North America etc. what if all countries were to ban any and all refugees? The vast majority just bring crime, hatred, an unwillingness to assimilate or work, and many diseases from wherever they came. What if every country just said enough is enough, and none would accept any whatsoever for any reason?

Sounds like a good deal to me!
I guess America would not exist then.

We wouldn't have had Einstein, Fermi, etc.

We wouldn't have had Google - heck, Steve Jobs father was Syrian, so we wouldn't have had Apple.

Do you think the world has run out of similar people so that we can now close and lock the door which made us "great"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates