Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 08:59 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,439,314 times

Advertisements

My son is going through the labored process of college applications during his senior year of high school.
He told me that it was recommended that he submit a DNA sample to any reputable company and take advantage of any "minority" results to improve his acceptance chances.

In addition to my disapproval of the tactic, I flipped my lid that anyone would actually willingly hand over their DNA to a mail service, let alone the internet.

Recent review of several geneology forum reveals it is common practice these days for geneology hobbyists.

What are the possible ramifications for that persons future after handing over one s dna ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 12:41 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,215,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
My son is going through the labored process of college applications during his senior year of high school.
He told me that it was recommended that he submit a DNA sample to any reputable company and take advantage of any "minority" results to improve his acceptance chances.

In addition to my disapproval of the tactic, I flipped my lid that anyone would actually willingly hand over their DNA to a mail service, let alone the internet.

Recent review of several geneology forum reveals it is common practice these days for geneology hobbyists.

What are the possible ramifications for that persons future after handing over one s dna ?

What I have a problem with, you give blood, or go to say Quest, they need blood samples for various tests your Doctor wants to run on you.

Each one of these whether you give blood, or just need to have blood tests run, they take like 3 to 5 vile's your blood. Why can't all of the tests be run against a single vile of your blood.

What is happening to the extra vile's of blood. Is it already being sent to DNA database storehouses.

Another problem with having your DNA exposed to storage someplace. A really cleaver geneticist can create a virus or some other object that can impact a single person; or a group of people who say have Diabetes 2; or something of the equivalent.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:58 AM

9,300 posts, read 14,916,355 times
Although I agree that there could be certain level of paranoia associated with this, I think the advantages of having the anonymous data pooled with others' data for scientific purposes outweighs the concern. I've done it and have also gotten my medical genetic results. It was instructive. Plus if anyone really wants your DNA, they could follow you around and get it off your restaurant water glass. I'm more concerned about the Equifax leak!!

As to submitting DNA results for a school application, does your son really want that potential advantage or would he be more comfortable applying on his own merits? A broad range of applications will get most any decent student into a college nowadays.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:53 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
This reminds me of the times our local police depts would come to our schools when we were in 2nd and 3rd grade, they would bring candy, games, prizes, they let kids sit in the cop cars, let them turn on the lights and sirens, and they also were collecting fingerprints from all the kids. Of course our parents were told it was being done in case any of us were ever kidnapped, it would make it easier to find us, but later on in life, I became friends with a retired cop, he told me the real reason they were collecting fingerprints was to ensure police had the prints on file for when these kids grew up, knowing at least some of them would go down the wrong path and become criminals.

I would be extremely suspicious when they are telling you some type of ID collection is being done for your own health or safety...its likely not the reason.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:43 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,439,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Although I agree that there could be certain level of paranoia associated with this, I think the advantages of having the anonymous data pooled with others' data for scientific purposes outweighs the concern. I've done it and have also gotten my medical genetic results. It was instructive. Plus if anyone really wants your DNA, they could follow you around and get it off your restaurant water glass. I'm more concerned about the Equifax leak!!

As to submitting DNA results for a school application, does your son really want that potential advantage or would he be more comfortable applying on his own merits? A broad range of applications will get most any decent student into a college nowadays.

Yes it s very tempting for the geneology and medical history matters.

It was the Equifax leak that really got me thinking about this as at the same time I was hearing alot about submitting DNA and then my son comes home with this bombshell.

The stealth ideal of being followed into a restaurant is quite labor intensive.
Offering a coupon online get s thousands at once and not a dime spent on labor to collect samples . now THAT sounds like our world today

The irony is it came from an advisor to students with aspirations for MED school. Great moral advice...use scientific breakthroughs for self gain. THAT sound s like our world today too.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:14 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
What I have a problem with, you give blood, or go to say Quest, they need blood samples for various tests your Doctor wants to run on you.

Each one of these whether you give blood, or just need to have blood tests run, they take like 3 to 5 vile's your blood. Why can't all of the tests be run against a single vile of your blood.

What is happening to the extra vile's of blood. Is it already being sent to DNA database storehouses.
Different tubes are for different tests. You cannot run a CBC and chemistry on the same tubes, for example.

Also, you need a certain amount of sample for each test. It's always good to have extra in case the doctor wants to add on additional tests later based on other results.

Most of these labs store samples for a week or less. Then they are discarded.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:08 AM

939 posts, read 789,031 times
Equifax leak a concern for this thread is it?

I was thinking more along the lines of the recent Blue Cross/Blue Shield little look-see.

In the meantime...keep inputing your family history in those Inspectmyroots dot coms (heritage sites) so we can see if your bloodline is too expensive to keep around or not.

Last edited by noregon98; 12-03-2017 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates