Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 09:36 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times

Advertisements

His mother is white and he was brought up in a mostly white school district by white parents. One would think he is about as far from being black as possible. I know plenty of white people that can do that with their hair. Seems he is wanting to claim he is a victim in some way. I just don't get why people label mixed race people as black all the time. Tiger Woods has an Asian mother. Have you ever heard him called "Asian"?

Old 10-22-2017, 09:51 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Some people still go by the whole "one drop rule".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

Old 10-22-2017, 11:53 AM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Some people still go by the whole "one drop rule".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule
This. Even if they don't intend to, people generally see dark skin w/ "black features" and label them as black. If you don't understand or believe this, take a mixed-race person into a situation with police, and see how they're treated vs a WHITE person... I can almost guarantee the police won't care if his mother is white, as they'll just see him as a person of color.

(before anyone gets offended, I'm just using that as a general example - not saying all cops are racist)

Old 10-22-2017, 12:07 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
His mother is white and he was brought up in a mostly white school district by white parents. One would think he is about as far from being black as possible. I know plenty of white people that can do that with their hair. Seems he is wanting to claim he is a victim in some way. I just don't get why people label mixed race people as black all the time. Tiger Woods has an Asian mother. Have you ever heard him called "Asian"?
Well, Tiger Woods...when he was in deep shyte...tried to worm his way out of it by proclaiming his deep Buddhist faith. So, yeah, sort of.

But why is it a concern how someone chooses to identify themselves?

Old 10-22-2017, 01:03 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
This. Even if they don't intend to, people generally see dark skin w/ "black features" and label them as black. If you don't understand or believe this, take a mixed-race person into a situation with police, and see how they're treated vs a WHITE person... I can almost guarantee the police won't care if his mother is white, as they'll just see him as a person of color.
Right, and I highly suspect that if the OP saw a Kaepernick clone lurking around his neighborhood, he'd be described as "a black man" in the police report.

the notion of being white because one attends a school with majority white demographics is interesting, as if going to one school over another has anything to do with ethnicity. He's still a black guy.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:12 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times
Was is this thread really about OP? Is this more griping about the NFL? Or are you asking why bi-racial black people are seen as black and not the other race they are mixed with?

Old 10-22-2017, 02:55 PM

8,222 posts, read 3,483,075 times
My bi-racial daughter is seen by the government as black. She was given to my rapist in part because "she needs to be in a black home to preserve her black culture" and I was deemed to have abused her by not having raised her in her "black culture." She spent years in therapy to deal with her "culture confusion" the government said she had.

Years before, when she was little, I was fired from my job at a white church because the parishioners didn't like that I had a black child.

I had both black and white people tell me randomly since she was a baby that I needed to give her up for adoption so she could be raised in a black home where she belonged. I'd just be minding my business in a store or some other public place and someone would just come up to me. I ended up being jumpy at times when I'd go out with her because you never know what another person will do. The women, both black and white, seemed more hostile about it. It never happened if she wasn't with me at the time.

I was never completely free to raise her while I had her. People were constantly interfering. My biological family was the worst though and they ended up helping my rapist get custody. I hate every single one of them.

No one ever saw her as white. I just saw her as herself since she was my daughter. She was raised in a "white culture" (as the government called it) until she was taken from me at age 14 to live with my rapist.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:11 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,670,118 times
People always say this about high profile biracial people with a black parent. You are gong to have start assuming that all black people are not black because you really can't tell without asking. It seems like some people feel that if a little white privilege got spilt on you then you got to claim it.

If a person born to two white parents gets to "self identify" as black it is not a stretch to assume a person with one black parent gets to identify as they please. From my experience biracial people don't feel like they are either black or white. Sometimes they get treated white sometimes they get treated black. They move seamlessly between and that’s how they identify themselves.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:05 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,344,542 times
When you look Black and act Black, you don't get treated like you're White.
I do admire him for being brave enough to be taking a "stand" for what he believes in but he should also be willing to have to endure the fallout for not being politically correct in these times that we are going through.
Unfortunately, like the rest of us being in the wrong place in history at the wrong time, but he will have to use his hard earned money from a broken career to prove what we all take for granted. He could have just focused on making money while he could and used his money after he retired to prove out his case.
It's all about timing being used in your stages of life.
Colin will now wear the taint of being unpatriotic as our President "Teflon Don" finishes out his place in history handing over our country to the 1 percenters to add even more money to their brokerage accounts.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Obama is biracial but everyone calls him black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates