Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 10:48 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
It is just pure joy. A feeling of freedom rarely experienced. I actually look forward to my holidays in JamaIca, nude secluded beaches of golden sand.
Some people take that sense of freedom right into other peoples' lives. That's why it's always been important to have a series of checks and balances.

Did you know that Jamaica has traditionally been ranked, per capita, #6 in rapes in the world? And that number continues to rise. Apparently someone is not getting the healthy message.

It is not true that no one is sexually aroused at nude beaches. I can post a number of articles about the problems being experienced around the world. It's not like it used to be. You can find articles online by old-style nudists bemoaning how newcomers disrespect the old traditions.

American attitudes towards nudity and sexuality are being spread everywhere by media. We all desire that total freedom and some have no internal ability to moderate.

Here's Wisconsin's experience:

https://www.buting.com/Articles/Wisc...-charges.shtml
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 11:12 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Did you know that Jamaica has traditionally been ranked, per capita, #6 in rapes in the world? And that number continues to rise. Apparently someone is not getting the healthy message.
Public nudity is illegal in Jamaica, although some beaches are known for having lots of nude people (pretty much like some places in Florida or California). In any case, is there any reason or evidence of any sort to suggest that Jamaica's rape statistics are causally related to public nudity?

Quote:
Here's Wisconsin's experience:

https://www.buting.com/Articles/Wisc...-charges.shtml
The article only references people having sex on the beach. Yeah, people ought not do that there, but people also have sex in public places where nudity is not common or allowed. Sex is public is a "thing" (e.g., ever hear of the sky-high club?...), but it is not specific to clothing-optional settings. So, again, it is not really an argument against allowing nude beaches, or nudity on private property, etc.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:22 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Public nudity is illegal in Jamaica, although some beaches are known for having lots of nude people (pretty much like some places in Florida or California). In any case, is there any reason or evidence of any sort to suggest that Jamaica's rape statistics are causally related to public nudity?

The article only references people having sex on the beach. Yeah, people ought not do that there, but people also have sex in public places where nudity is not common or allowed. Sex is public is a "thing" (e.g., ever hear of the sky-high club?...), but it is not specific to clothing-optional settings. So, again, it is not really an argument against allowing nude beaches, or nudity on private property, etc.
Yeeeahhh.....

So when I was, for about 5-6 months, on OKC, I mentioned for the last couple of months I was there, that I was getting into the kink & BDSM community and was not really interested in vanilla partners. Figured it was fair warning, right?

I had so...so many...young silly men in their early 20's, sending me messages saying that they were "kinky" because they wanted to get it on in public. Yeah, actually, NO, I am not into that. I consider voyeurism and exhibitionism to be sexual acts and getting it on in public where unsuspecting people might see you, is a consent violation. It is very much against my ethics. I was shocked how many people seem to think it's ok.

A whole lot of fairly ordinary seeming people seem to think that's ok. Probably more than how many people believe that nonsexual, normalized public nudity is ok. That makes no sense to me.

I am for nonsexual public nudity, to at least a gender-equal degree (toplessness for instance, same rules for all.) I am NOT for public sexual behavior. I am interested in reducing the sexual implications of nudity and desensitizing people to the concept, and reducing the "shame programming" our culture seems obsessed with.

And I insist that it's possible, because if anything, the changes in acceptable fashion for women have changed a lot in the last couple hundred years, and are different across cultures. So to a significant degree I really think it's conditioning.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:02 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
This article from Australia seems to indicate that a naturalist beach, much to the dismay of the regulars, has been drawing undesirable behavior in recent times:

https://www.northernstar.com.au/news...ation/3187110/

Seems it should be drawing more people with healthy attitudes if the theory is correct. Perhaps the theory is backwards and people who already have healthy behavior about nudity are drawn together and outsiders consider them fair prey?

I know you have to have guidelines surrounding human behavior and especially around situations where human desires may be triggered. The naturists knew that too.

Again, I agree with some of you that's not the way it "should" be but it appears that media has promoted too many unhealthy ideas to be able to reverse it in these generations. You're swimming against a very strong tide of pathology, I think.

No one has yet answered my question of why public nudity is advocated for all when those who desire it already have places where they can go to practice it. Why so insistent on forcing it on those whose sense of decorum or appetite is affected by nude people? Or on the many among us who are traumatized sexual abuse victims? Or celibate pedophiles/sex addicts?

Don't you think it's fair and possibly healthy to those who'd rather not participate to have their own clothing required spaces?

Old 05-02-2018, 09:43 PM

776 posts, read 394,418 times
Quote:
public nudity has traditionally occurred in societies where men are in control of social mores.
Actually, patriarchal societies generally are and always have been more hostile to nudity than feminist societies. In Saudi Arabia, where men control everything, women have to cover their entire bodies. In the 1920s and 1960s, when women gained more power, society relaxed its norms on revealing one's body.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:04 PM

776 posts, read 394,418 times
Quote:
those who want to spend time in public in the nude already have places where they can do so.
Many states, including the liberal state that I live in, have laws banning nude beaches, and you have to pay to join nudist clubs. You can be registered as a sex offender for taking a picture of yourself to study your weight.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:42 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,842 times
I expect clothing customs will change with climate change and the end of cheap energy. With climate change, we get more deserts and hot humid weather. Without cheap energy, we don't have cheap clothes and electric washing machines. I can imagine many possible materials for natural sunblock, but I am more concerned about mosquitos, ticks, etc and the diseases they carry.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:30 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
I have never seen any evidence that children or anyone else are affected negatively by being nude or seeing other people nude. If that was true then we would hear about more bad things happening at nudist resorts. Many people are already to ingrained with the nudity=bad mindset so it is not going to change here. It is unfortunate because this mindset is why many kids grow up feeling bad about their bodies.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:13 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,461 times
Quote:
No one has yet answered my question of why public nudity is advocated for all when those who desire it already have places where they can go to practice it.
There are no legal places within 100s of miles of me, except for a nudist resort, where you have to pay to be a member, etc. But it is also a matter of principle. Government should not ban activity based on mere personal tastes and religious traditions, even if those tastes and religious traditions are held by a majority of people. Someone has to show that nudity, itself, causes tangible harm, and no one has done that. Yes, some people might not like it, just like some people are offended by dancing or rock music, but that is not sufficient reason for limiting individual freedom to dance or listen to rock music. Yes, some people will respond badly to the sight of a naked person, just like some people panic when the see a dog, or feel compelled to steal when they see expensive jewelry in a store window, or a car that is unlocked in a parking lot. Stuff happens and people do bad things. The law should not attempt to account for every possible feeling of aesthetic disgust or every possible personal trigger for this or that bad behavior. The law needs to consider overall evidence of public harm. And, simply, there is no significant evidence for that. Anecdotal reports of a person, here or there, or a place where some unsavory folks have gathered is not statistically significant evidence of any tangible harm from simple nudity. And, again, the proof that the underlying motivations for anti-nudity are aesthetic and religious, rather than issues of public health can be found in the fact that female toplessness is illegal in most places. There is, plain and simply, no harm whatsoever in a topless female in her own back yard, or on a beach, or anywhere else that men are allowed to be topless.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:16 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
I expect clothing customs will change with climate change and the end of cheap energy. With climate change, we get more deserts and hot humid weather. Without cheap energy, we don't have cheap clothes and electric washing machines. I can imagine many possible materials for natural sunblock, but I am more concerned about mosquitos, ticks, etc and the diseases they carry.
Desert environments are typically very dry (no humidity or very low).

A strange thing Ive noticed, if you look at people that live in extremely hot areas, they normally wear long sleeve, long pants, but when it gets super hot in summertime in my area, people always go for short sleeve/ sleeveless and shorts. They would probably keep themselves cooler wearing long sleeve/ long pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates