Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 10:00 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Why not. I already pay more insurance for those that go without or with minimums. I help support the state assigned risk pool for habitual bad offenders. Why not pay more than the guy in the lane next to me that get's hung out a car length or two in the intersection on the way home from work when it turns red.

I subsidize peoples rents, I subsidize their utilities, I subsidize student lunches as well as college educations for those that get need based reductions, grants etc.

But hey, I have it coming I guess because since neither of my parents went to college and I grew up in a house that clipped coupons, had a giant garden and often wore hand-me-down clothes I got from the doctors family my family cleaned house for on occasion for extra money...us silver spooners need to pay their fair share.

At some point it gets annoying....but you keep rolling out those Bill Gates examples because like you said, you want it to be "scaled" oh wait.....it scales onto people like me too like everything else these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 10:38 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
How is property tax proportional to anything? ...
It's proportional to how much money one earns and how much house/property one can afford.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:39 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I can afford those fines, but you know what? I STILL don't want to pay them so I don't do those things! I try not to do things that I could be fined for. That's what normal people do.
So you never went over the speed limit? Good boy Beav!

Everyone of us breaks laws once in a while, sometimes unintentionally.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:17 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I highly doubt you keep to 55 on superhighways or 30 on secondary roads. Unless you don't drive.
I did use the word TRY. And no I don’t speed through areas where it’s 30 mph. That’s just asking for a ticket where I live. I don’t live near any superhighways. On the roads here that are 55, i try to stick close to it. That can be tricky with our hills and mountains. There are areas which are infamous for their speed traps. Definitely don’t go 55 or above there! I’m not interested in giv8ng the government any more of my money.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:18 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So you never went over the speed limit? Good boy Beav!

Everyone of us breaks laws once in a while, sometimes unintentionally.
I’m not a boy. I used the word try. Perhaps you should befriend Merriam-Webster.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:56 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Why don't we just charge rich people proportionately more for everything. Then everyone will have the same amount of money. [facepalm]

Old 03-20-2018, 01:06 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's proportional to how much money one earns and how much house/property one can afford.
No it is not. There is no nexus between property tax and income. Zero zilch nada.
The tax is the tax, whether you make a million dollars a year or 10,000/year is immaterial.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:30 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Why don’t we just keep punishing the rich in all aspects of society? How dare they be rich.

Kim Kardashian, sorry, you deserve a $10 million traffic fine.

The rich would start transferring their money and leaving this country in droves.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:23 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
I do understand the concept. For some people, a $1k fine might mean a choice between losing their apartment and not eating for a month or going to jail for non-payment. For someone else, that's their wine tab 3-4 nights per week. Conceptually, it's like saying everyone owes $10k in income taxes regardless of income.
And in each case, the persons in question made a choice to break the law. Either could just have easily made the choice to NOT break the law.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:25 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I get the point you are trying to make. However it is a fact that wealthier people often have the support systems necessary to satisfy the judge that they won't get into trouble again and will appear for trial. Also they more often have verifiable residences and employment. Poorer people often have none of these. That doesn't give much comfort that the average shakedown artist will show up for trial or be locate-able when the time comes.
Very true, bond amounts on a sliding scale would prove just as ineffective.
In the long run, treating crime like the rest of the planet is a better/less expensive solution; more restitution, less incarceration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates