Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 06:18 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times

Advertisements

I think that the media should refrain from mentioning race at all unless it is directly related to the story. (For example, when a few years ago a little white boy colored his face for his presentation on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and there was a very negative reaction to that by some.) However, I do NOT condone any kind of media censorship unless there is a very good reason for doing so.

I also think that we should stop focusing on race, period. We in the U.S. are fast reaching the point where the majority of people will not be all just one race, but will be a mix of at least two races and/or ancestries; and I personally won't mind one bit when that happens so that we can put all -- or at least most -- of the "race-vs.-race" conflict and antagonism behind us.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:49 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
No I was advocating giving them some rules or guidelines to go by. If that's silencing them, perhaps I feel it's okay to not let them do whatever they want, if that's bad of me.
Taking rights little by little good plan. It’s just a little it will be okay. Until it’s not okay, but then it’s too late.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:05 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
No I was advocating giving them some rules or guidelines to go by. If that's silencing them, perhaps I feel it's okay to not let them do whatever they want, if that's bad of me.
You either believe in freedom of speech and freedom of the press, or you don't.

Based on your posts you don't.

I lived in Thailand for a couple of year -- a relatively free country. But the limits on free speech scare are scary.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:13 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Freedom of the Press, Ironpony. It's No. 1 among all the amendments, and our Founding Fathers didn't put it there for the newspaper publishers but for all of us. I'd be 100% against any such changes to our basic freedoms.

But you may have a point, so I'd suggest that you write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper and to any other newspapers or other media outlets that you like. They have a duty, just like you and me on the web, to present news fairly and accurately. I wouldn't threaten to pull your subscription or insist "there ought to be a law." Just make your point and ask them to consider it. You never know, you might start a trend away from what you think is wrong.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:23 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
Oh yeah , the days of Walter Cronkite are over when he and the local news was over it was one hour , you had him on in the evening otherwise local- sometimes morning noon ( that included the farm to market report where I grew up ) and night . The facts in 30 minutes and that included sports and weather .

I get tired of all these endless analysts who seem to be trying to make the news into their 15 min of fame/possible acting gig , and yes I do think the media is responsible for a lot of the hate and divisiveness in this country ( along with some other folks ...) If I have the news on 24 hours it really stresses me .

Old 05-02-2018, 07:05 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
First, how you gonna "not allow" the media to say something?

Look to where their monies are coming from....THAT'S who controls what they can say.
CBC is subsidized to the tune of millions from the canadian gov.... thats how medias are controlled.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:20 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Basically a lot of homicide news headlines will mention the race of the victim, if the victim is not white, I noticed.

But I feel that this can create the wrong impression in people who watch the news, or read the articles, giving people the idea that the killings may have been racially motivated, which in many cases, they are not.

There was a homicide that happened where I live, for example, and people were fueled with racial frustration over it, even though it wasn't racially motivated, and the fact that the race of the victim was mentioned in the headlines, I think had a great deal to do with it.

It feels like the media does it to stir a reaction or create shock value, and I feel there should be a some sort of law in place that prevents them from mentioning race of homicide victims, especially in cases where the race was not motivated. But since they do not know the motivation, they shouldn't be mentioning anything that can suggest motivation, until the suspect is proven guilty, I think.

I'm not for censorship in general, but I feel that they shouldn't be allowed to suggest motives, to create shock value for the sake of shock value either, cause it gives people the wrong ideas.

I mean it's okay to mention it in the actual article, depending on how you go about it, but in the headlines themselves, when you read headlines that say things like "White police officer shot and killed a black man", you start to think that the media is really stirring the pot or pushing an agenda possibly, instead of an article saying something more like "police officer shot and killed a man", and then just tell the news story, and let people decide for themselves how to feel, rather than force an impression on them.

But what do you think?
I don't like biased media reporting, but it is protected by the 1st Amendment, and for good reason. If the government decided what details can and can't be reported, then there would be no way for us to know what the real truth is. At least we have partial access to truth under the current system, rather than none at all!

Old 05-02-2018, 11:40 AM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
I rarely hear them say “ a 24 year old black man, or a 24 year old Hispanic man”. Actually I don’t remember anyone saying that.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:35 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
If that is the person's heritage then it begs to ask what is reason to be false and dismiss such a fact.

If for some ungodly reason my life is taken thru a violent or unfortunate act I really don't give a hoot if they mention my heritage,skin color,where I live or how many fingers and toes I have. They are facts.

It doesn't take away from the loss or even accentuate it . It defines the person's being to some extent.

I enjoy genuine journalism that conveys facts and does so with regard to its readers.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:26 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
A homicide victim is a victim, no matter the race.

The race/religion committing the homicide is another story, especially if it is an act of terrorism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates