Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 08:23 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
I don't know what you are talking about, President Trump is LOVED my more than half the country.

538 uses statistical tools to objectively combine national polls and to remove long-term bias. Currently Trump's approval rating is:

41.6% Approve, 52.8% Disapprove https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/

Trump is loved by a consistent minority of voters. He is disliked and disparaged by a consistent majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 08:25 AM

807 posts, read 1,033,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

Trump was a gamble but Hillary was a sure thing of scandals, deceit and back door politics with the media downplaying all of it while telling us how great everything is.
Right. Because there have been no scandals, deceit, or back door politics with trump.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:27 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
Right. Because there have been no scandals, deceit, or back door politics with trump.
And those were completely unpredictable based on his past actions and behaviors.

oh wait

Old 06-02-2018, 08:45 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
On the OP's question: yes, I have no doubt we will have a president in the future who will win in a landslide and command very high approval ratings. Here's an example:

In 1928, Hoover won with 444 electoral votes and carried 40 states. The economy was booming and everybody bought into the idea that Big Business should be unshackled and that government should get out of the way. Everybody was a Republican. The only states who voted Democrat were the deep South, who still had a grudge with the party of Lincoln.

1932 -- just four years later -- FDR won 472 electoral votes and carried 42 states. Huge numbers of voters dumped the Repubs and switched to the Dems. FDR and the New Deal were very popular, with people looking to FDR for "relief, recovery and reform" to help guide the nation out of the Depression.

People today assume the partisan divide will last forever. It won't. Eventually an event or events will occur that will cause a seismic shift in political attitudes either right or left, and a charismatic leader will emerge to lead them.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:51 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
I think the OP is over-estimating how many truly popular presidents were elected in the past. Pretty much every President since George Washington has had a reasonably large and vocal opposition. (Certainly ol' Ronnie Raygun wasn't universally beloved. Neither was FDR.)

But I think our media is also a problem, and not merely because of its emphasis on conflict and drama. I think its emphasis on looks (as opposed to substance) is also a huge issue today. Looking good and sounding good on TV has become a primary requirement of the job. People like FDR or William Howard Taft would be unelectable today, and not because of their policies, but because of their physical issues. God forbid we have a cripple or a fatty in the Oval Office! Let's not even think about a stutterer...

"Must have movie-star looks" narrows an already over-narrow field of candidates. I wish there was a way we could roll that requirement back, so the voters would be forced to pay more attention to the various candidates' actual platforms.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:54 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Folks, it's been a year and a half since the 2016 election.

It appears the butt-hurt snowflakes still cannot accept the duly-elected president, despite the fact that the rest of us silently put up with his predecessor for 8 years.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Folks, it's been a year and a half since the 2016 election.

It appears the butt-hurt snowflakes still cannot accept the duly-elected president, despite the fact that the rest of us silently put up with his predecessor for 8 years.
Sarcasm?

Back to the OP.

I think most intelligent, moderate (which I think a majority of citizens claim ti be) people on either side of the aisle would be happy to support a moderate president, with a good mix in the House and Senate. I think we have underestimated the importance of Statesmanship over attention grabbing antics and pandering to extremists. All at a cost to how seriously we are taken as a country. Hopefully we can right the ship before we sink further into becoming the United States of Kardashian.

I think many moderates, or even lefties, could have better tolerated a president who's policies they disagreed with, if he or she wasn't actively, knowingly and continuously making a mockery of the office and the country.

Last edited by maciesmom; 06-02-2018 at 09:45 AM..

Old 06-02-2018, 11:16 AM

99,585 posts, read 4,493,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post

5) The internet. It is more difficult to have secrets now. I wonder if the highly promiscuous Clinton could have survived the age of the internet. Trump may also feel the wrath in the future. The odds of that are good.

Clinton's multiple affairs were no secret and were widely discussed during the 1992 campaign and he was still elected. They were then discussed at length over the next 8 years..and then there was that impeachment thing. He still survived it.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:54 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
i really dont think we could have a popular presdient. it just not possible. no matter who elected, could be god himself, the other side will start impeachment procedures even before they take office. It is really an all or nothing. the nly way to have a popular president would be if everybody change to the same side. all become democratics or republician. even thought both parties are the same once they hit congress, it will always be a war between them.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i really dont think we could have a popular presdient. it just not possible. no matter who elected, could be god himself, the other side will start impeachment procedures even before they take office. It is really an all or nothing. the nly way to have a popular president would be if everybody change to the same side. all become democratics or republician. even thought both parties are the same once they hit congress, it will always be a war between them.
I think we can - and should - be debating differences of opinion. Those differences are part of what can make the country great. The difference lately is the "all or nothing" attitude from the extremists and the pandering to those extremes (to make headlines) that both parties have been sinking into lately. That is not how it is supposed to work. I expect political battles. We've moved to political nuclear war. It's not good for anyone, no matter how much anyone believes they are "winning". Truth is we are all losing.

Last edited by maciesmom; 06-02-2018 at 12:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates