Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 01:32 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times

Advertisements

It is not. It all depends on the individual. If you're gonna try something harder, you likely had it in your mind to do so regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 02:03 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
I’m pretty sure they will find out that “susceptibility” (liking it a lot) is linked to genetics. I don’t think I have that particular variant: I used it (tried to) as a teen but it took 5 times before I could even feel anything.

A lot of times, it would actually give me a headache. As far as a “gateway”? Not for me; I used speed before I even tried cigarettes. Unfortunate, as for the first time in my life I felt my brain go from point A to point B; without ping-ponging off C-D-E ...etc, first.

I was 13 & I thought to myself “Is this what it feels like to be normal?” Unfortunate but also; genetic, as I have the suspect variant in my Sert gene (a serotonin regulator) that causes disregulation but can be prompted into regulation by stimulants.

I had always understood that the “gateway pathway” was: Alcohol, smoking (cigarettes), marijuana & then “harder” drugs such as hallucinogens, stimulants & opiates but maybe not for everybody. Not for me, at least.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:58 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Some say no, some say yes. I'd go with the first, but ultimately don't care.

This is one of those hopelessly inconclusive topics that can't be agreed on or nailed down.
Sums up the debate pretty darn good.

As mentioned above alcohol is the gateway drug.
But alcohol goes back to biblical times and before.

Clean drinking water historically has been a sickness issue. So some forms of beer were invented/discovered. And wine. So people could drink fluids without getting sick.

But alcohol today can/may have a devastating effect to society/people.

The US attempted to ban alcohol and that didn't work.

Ganja does have some medical benefits. It is a drug though and can have some negative affects.

I say legalize it and tax it. But there should be the same anti use programs/education the same as those anti use programs/education for alcohol.

Personally I don't use any alcohol or ganja. So I don't have any dog in this debate.

Legalize it. Tax it. And put the hidden drug dealers out of business. Or at least for ganja. Place the authority resources onto the other drugs such as heroin speed and whatever else is out there.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:36 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm retired LE and pretty much every criminal I know of started out on marijuana before moving on to harder drugs. So yes, I consider it a gateway drug.
I'd say it's more likely they started out on alcohol.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:36 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
Admitteldly for me, it has occasionally led to excessive dark chocolate abuse. Anyone nearby with a Lindt bar?

Old 06-02-2018, 05:41 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Obviously, those who favor legalizing marijuana, are those who want to use it themselves and probably already do, illegally. You couldn't expect them to have any other sort of opinion about it or to rationally evaluate all the things involved and the complications that would result.

Marijuana warps the minds of its users, to think that it's a good thing. I've seen several old friends who have used it regularly, whose lives have been on a downhill slide, ever since they started. And they don't even know that it has happened.
That's perhaps the silliest thing I've ever heard. I was indifferent to it and only tried it because it was legal where I was. I tried it for fun in my 30s and was unimpressed until I used it for a headache upon the suggestion of a friend who used it for his MS. It is the only thing that helped besides stuff like vicodin, which i would prefer not to take.

I'm an Ivy League graduate that pulls down 6 figures. But yeah, waiting for that downhill slide because I support the legalization of marijuana and used to use it pretty regularly.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:43 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
\
Picking marijuana as the starting point is arbitrary. Starting from childhood, a typical hard drug user's stimulant timeline looks something like this:

Sugar -> Caffeine -> Nicotine -> Alcohol -> Marijuana -> Cocaine -> Meth or Heroin or Hard Drug of choice

The only reason prohibitionists point at marijuana and declare it the "gateway" drug is because it is the first one in the chain that is illegal.

The VAST majority of people stop at Caffeine, Alcohol or Marijuana. Legality makes little difference. If you are the type that is predisposed to fall into hard drug use, taking marijuana out of that chain would make no difference. You would still "gateway" to hard drugs.

Good point. I don't think Marijuana is a gateway drug to stronger drugs. I think it has more to do with the person. Are they trying to escape from their life? Do they have so much pain within themselves that the "bigger" high is the only thing that makes them feel better? Do they have a follow the group mentality(weak minded), or do they have an addictive personality? Do they need a crutch? I think it is those questions rather than just Marijuana.

No Marijuana is not the gateway. It is what is within the person to begin with.

BTW, I tried it in my younger days(30 years ago) and did not care for it. I also knew quite a few people who smoked it, loved it and never moved on to anything else. Heck some of them still smoke it but they did not move on to a different drug.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:52 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times
Alcohol is the gateway drug.
People tend to forget or not think of the fact that alcohol is a drug.

There are tons of new info out there that puts the Marijuana as a gateway drug to bed..

Old 06-02-2018, 05:55 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Alcohol is the gateway drug.
People tend to forget or not think of the fact that alcohol is a drug.

There are tons of new info out there that puts the Marijuana as a gateway drug to bed..

Alcohol is so much worse than marijuana. Our gov't reports will never show that. They and big companies make too much money from alcohol

Wait you have to eat before bed, lol.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:08 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
No. It’s not a gate way drug. I’ve been using for a good 20 years now and never one have I wanted or felt the desire to try anything stronger. I have seen some use it and end up wanting something more mostly because they are looking for a way to numb whatever they are feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates