Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 07:02 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing there's probably seniors who have never been on the Internet, and I wonder just how they survive without an email account?

I've gotten so frustrated the past month I'm more than tempted to just walk away from it all, but what would be the consequences? I haven't even caved in to texting yet and I'm under an inordinate amount of pressure to put texting on my phone, as I've been missing out on some rather important messages selling/buying a home.

I called one agent and asked her to list my house. I waited 3 days and went with another agent who lives 2 doors down from me. After it got listed, the other agent calls me and chews me out for picking another agent over her.

"I texted you 2X, you didn't get my texts?"

"Well, lady, I only have one arm around the 21st century, and no texting on my phone!"

Old 06-28-2018, 04:56 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
In 20-30 years, there will be something else that no one cannot live without, people then will wonder how we got along or survived without this new thing in our lives, the same thing younger people ask today!

Old 06-28-2018, 05:37 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Impossible? Nah. Difficult, surely. Many businesses do still offer paper invoices, billing, etc. Some charge you a fee for having to do it though. But I think many businesses simply take for granted that you have internet.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:03 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
The proliferation of net based everything...
is WHY access and service should be REGULATED like a utility.

That this would (should) also both LOWER rates and improve quality...
is the OTHER reason why access and service should be REGULATED like a utility.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:20 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
I text a lot and find myself checking email less and less.

However, for IMPORTANT notifications I'd like to get a text for the immediacy of it but also have an email record. Emails seem like more substantial documentation I can hang on to while texts feel very ephemeral. I just don't feel comfortable using text alone for truly important things.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:37 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
Some of my closest friends live in other parts of the country and it would be difficult to give up Email with them, as well as the convenience of online banking and bill paying, and online shopping. I live in a rural area which never had much shopping to begin with and now many of the few B&M stores have disappeared. I'm thankful to be done with driving 2 hrs each way to the nearest mall to buy socks or a shower curtain. There are still people here that can't get high-speed internet or cell service and are stuck with dial-up.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:53 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Same thing was said about electricity, cars, radio, TV, etc.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:44 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
People obviously lived without computers, the internet, smart phones, streaming TV and a host of other modern 'conveniences' for many years - and could do so again if, for example, there was a mass failure in the U.S. power grid. Under such circumstances, one would also learn to live without a myriad of other things.

I was directly involved in marketing the first personal computers in the late 1970's ... when the idea of having a computer in one's home was considered radical. When the internet ('mosaic') first became available in the mid 1980's, I helped usher that technology into a large engineering corporation. At the time, it was believed that only secretaries would ever use desktop computers or the internet. (At one time, even IBM estimated the total worldwide market for personal computers would be about 10,000! ... an astonishing number!).

Past generations have probably similarly wondered if one could ever live without ... horses, telegraph, indoor plumbing, planes, trains, cars, refrigerators, -- and every other "new technology or convenience" that once accepted, was considered indispensable by the masses.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:40 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
I miss cassette tape players - - -

Old 06-28-2018, 10:17 PM

765 posts, read 473,978 times
lol jetgraphics, me too!!!! and it's oh so nice that vinyl is making a comeback!!!!!!!!!!!!! look.... i'm a geezer and i was never ever foolish enough to put my real name on anything on the internet..... all my email accounts are a variation of my name, birthday, i put nothing REAL out there, because i knew all this would get out of control at some point...and sure enough, free facebook wasn't really free at all, it was built on the backs of willing participants who then had their personal information stolen, all in the name of making big advertising bucks. when will they ever learn? asked Pete Seeger

thank goodness i didn't have to fork over any mandatory information here or i wouldn't be here. i am not playing games with my privacy. I use a browser that cannot be tracked and i use a server who cannot be tracked..... thus i am never at the mercy of endless ads. those plus a nice daily cleaning from CCCleaner keeps all who want to track me at bay..... my bank refuses to acknowledge my choice of server because they can't set cookies and so I don't do anything online with my bank.

I come here and that's it. I check my email once a week and that's it. I go once a week to my favorite jigsaw puzzle site to download a 1500 piece jigsaw and that's it. If i have a friend who can't stop texting me, then they do not stay a friend for long. Y'all who can't live without Alexa or this or that gadget more power to you, but it's not for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates