Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 10:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times

Advertisements

I'm sure it isn't me but it really seems like accountability is a dirty word today. Nobody wants to own up to issues and instead it is not their problem or something is dismissed. A few days ago I went to a restauraunt that I love and had maybe a single issue prior, both my mother and I had issues with our dish. We got the same dish, a medium rare flat steak with no mushrooms. My mother gets her's covered in mushrooms while mine was not medium rare but rather well done. My mother's was sent back immediately while mine was when my side came. My mother's came fine in a normal time while mine took about double time with no explanation. When asked, the manager stated "it takes time." No "I'm sorry, but..." before that.

It can't be just me noticing this, and not just with young people, but with all people. People just don't want to be held accountable anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 11:19 PM

50,847 posts, read 24,359,728 times
I disagree with you. I think Americans have become obsessed with wanting people fired.

But in your case, you can hold the restaurant accountable by not returning. Case closed.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I disagree with you. I think Americans have become obsessed with wanting people fired.

But in your case, you can hold the restaurant accountable by not returning. Case closed.
I think you misunderstand, my premise in the OP. It isn't the accountability of wanting someone fired or at the least, taken behind the woodshed that is the problem. Though that is a separate issue altogether with modern society for better and worse. But rather no one wanting to actually own up to mistakes whether it was their fault or not. We see this in many stories about people at work in the work and employment forum where they pass the buck. Most people when they are customers or the boss want to know someone will try and make it right if there is a problem and not just defend the company or much worse, themselves like in the case in my OP.

I do plan to never go to that particular restaurant location, I'll go to others in that chain. Just not that one. It is one that I love to go to normally, just this experience I had was downright horrible.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think you misunderstand, my premise in the OP. It isn't the accountability of wanting someone fired or at the least, taken behind the woodshed that is the problem. Though that is a separate issue altogether with modern society for better and worse. But rather no one wanting to actually own up to mistakes whether it was their fault or not. We see this in many stories about people at work in the work and employment forum where they pass the buck. Most people when they are customers or the boss want to know someone will try and make it right if there is a problem and not just defend the company or much worse, themselves like in the case in my OP.

I do plan to never go to that particular restaurant location, I'll go to others in that chain. Just not that one. It is one that I love to go to normally, just this experience I had was downright horrible.
I still disagree with you. I find that most businesses do try to make things right.

When I shop at our local Kroger grocery stores, if something is not right, I get a full refund. When I thought their store brand of summer sausage was too hard, full refund. And that type of thing has happened several times.

I like to eat at a particular Chinese restaurant chain. I once got a chicken dish with them that was not quite fully cooked. Replacement, plus a $20 coupon for the next visit.

I bought a t.v. at Costco that was damaged. I know they thought I damaged it, but they still fulfilled their no questions asked return policy.

In fact, I can't think of a time in years when a complaint I have made has fallen on deaf ears. And here's the reason -- social media. Nowadays it's all too easy for the customer to get revenge on social media. I think what you're describing happens far less than it used to in the days when customers had no resort.

Are there dumb employees? Sure. Always have been, always will be.

In your case, I suggest you go to the corporate headquarters. If not, you'll have to just suffer through a not perfect steak.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:28 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
I don't think the personal accountability/responsibility problem in America is as great at the corporate (or restaurant) level, as at the individual level. (Businesses can't afford to ignore customer problems).

At the individual level, it seems like almost everyone feels entitled, offended, deprived of their rights, outraged, etc.. Yet, when it comes to fixing problems or taking responsibility for one's personal contribution to the problem/s, all fingers get pointed elsewhere. A lot of this comes from a sense of entitlement and a persistent 'blame game' in every walk of life.

For example, years ago, welfare and charity were considered and identified as just that. But, in our magnanimous sense of political correctness, we (the government) chose to call it an "entitlement." When everyone hears they are "entitled" to the support of others, many choose not to work and support themselves ... even when they are able. Likewise, we are now told that there are no "illegal" immigrants and that those crossing our borders outside of our established legal system, are "entitled" to the same benefits as those who entered our country through the system ... and many people are up-in-arms about any attempt to change that. Similarly, some states believe they have the right to create "sanctuary cities" that thumb their noses at the American immigration system. --- Also, what problem in daily life today doesn't automatically get labeled "racism," rather than a personal responsibility issue?

Given these type of non-accountability/responsibility issues, it seems like getting mushrooms or not having one's steak promptly served ... is pretty insignificant.

Last edited by jghorton; 01-27-2018 at 08:37 AM..

Old 01-27-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I still disagree with you. I find that most businesses do try to make things right.

When I shop at our local Kroger grocery stores, if something is not right, I get a full refund. When I thought their store brand of summer sausage was too hard, full refund. And that type of thing has happened several times.

I like to eat at a particular Chinese restaurant chain. I once got a chicken dish with them that was not quite fully cooked. Replacement, plus a $20 coupon for the next visit.

I bought a t.v. at Costco that was damaged. I know they thought I damaged it, but they still fulfilled their no questions asked return policy.

In fact, I can't think of a time in years when a complaint I have made has fallen on deaf ears. And here's the reason -- social media. Nowadays it's all too easy for the customer to get revenge on social media. I think what you're describing happens far less than it used to in the days when customers had no resort.

Are there dumb employees? Sure. Always have been, always will be.

In your case, I suggest you go to the corporate headquarters. If not, you'll have to just suffer through a not perfect steak.
I guess I have not had experiences like you have. I feel like my complaints go ob deaf ears, even with social media. The best thing with social media can be that your complaints are justified as others have similar issues with the same place of business.

The biggest issue I find is companies only trying to make good that one-time and not actually listen. The place I went to took one of the meals off but they had other issues with other customers that day too. The only internet and cable provider where I live has had their lines shot at (not sure if it is intentional or accidental due to hunting) and rather than try to fix the issue as this happens kibda often like once ecery 3/4 months, they just give credits for a day or two of no use. I have seen aps on Xbox fail and claim it is an Xbox problem while Microsoft will say it is the ap's problem (which I tend to believe a bit more honestly.)

I've also commented before about a local Wal-Mart that I rarely goto because it doesn't really have any cashiers, even during busy times and at times the self-service lines are bad. I've left frozen groceries sit in this store due to the lines before. I complained twice over this and they don't want to fix the problem and instead just want to contact me and give me a $15 gift card for my troubles. Me complaining about it the second time proves they didn't. The first time I took it, the second time I never called back because it wasn't about the money, but rather the fact they said they would work on it, but didn't and me called them on it. I even said not to even bother with a gift card this time. And i could have EASILY taken the money and ran.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:01 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,960 times
Everyone is for accountability except for themselves. When you do something wrong, you should be held accountable. When I do something wrong, there was a reason.

It's impossible to move out of this mileau. It was created by black hole like forces that, once they touch you, become irresistible. We spend all our time pointing at others instead of ourselves and the one who points at himself can only be isolated and his standing, irredeemable. Everyone else will join in pointing at him. He's a confessed target, an easy one for all to aim at.

We're just an irresponsible society. Tort law is based on this and derives its riches from it. It's never my fault something happened to me, like falling off that ladder after I had a few drinks. It's always someone else's, like the ladder manufacturer or the bar tender or the guy that drove me to the ladder or my mother for not raising me right.

We like it this way. Or we're too lazy and weak to change it.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:47 AM

12,852 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Quote:
I disagree with you. I think Americans have become obsessed with wanting people fired.....
Actually I think that is a direct result of the lack of accountability. Wanting people fired or taken to the woodshed or whatever is an expectation of accountability that isn't happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The biggest issue I find is companies only trying to make good that one-time and not actually listen. ...they don't want to fix the problem and instead just want to contact me and give me a $15 gift card for my troubles. ....
I do think that's the case on a lot of situations. Heck I'll admit even within the organization I work in, there is a huge disconnect between the reality vs management belief. We have problems yet management simply will not listen and takes no action to actually fix anything. Some of the problems are people that refuse to do their jobs, but many of the problems are things only management can fix -- process issues, structural issues, and a big on -- responsibility vs authority mismatch. Far too often I see responsibility pushed off on those who have no authority to do anything.

I believe much of this is due to people being placed directly into management positions without ever having spent much time as a hands on front line worker. Read an interesting book one time about the railroads in the 60s/70s. If you recall this was a time when many railroads were badly mismanaged and going out of business. The book compared the Southern Railway, which was making money and considered a shinning example to the others. The difference? It was managed by professional railroaders who had come up in the business whereas the others were managed by professional managers who might know Wall Street, but knew nothing about moving freight efficiently.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:33 AM

19,044 posts, read 27,620,833 times
I read OP and made me wonder.
Is that really so much of an issue to start a rant on a huge international forum? Medium rare vs well done and not enough covered by mushrooms? I won't even be able to tell the difference.
How much of entitlement is in this? Is that really the most important concern in life? Then it's great life and one should be praying for having it many times a day, instead of complaining.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I read OP and made me wonder.
Is that really so much of an issue to start a rant on a huge international forum? Medium rare vs well done and not enough covered by mushrooms? I won't even be able to tell the difference.
How much of entitlement is in this? Is that really the most important concern in life? Then it's great life and one should be praying for having it many times a day, instead of complaining.
I don't think there's anything wrong with complaining when you don't get what you are paying for. But I also think you have a point with what I bolded.

Years ago my school system decided that all teachers should wear ID badges. Teachers were annoyed, but my viewpoint was what's the big deal...lots of professionals have to wear ID badges. One teacher came up to me (I was the principal) and said, "This is the type of thing that will lead me to quit teaching". I looked at him and said, "Fred, if wearing an ID is the worst thing going on in your life, then you've got a great life."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates