Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 12:37 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,166,204 times

Advertisements

The Jahi McMath case (https://www.npr.org/2018/06/29/62464...n-death-has-di) got me thinking about organ donation. Currently, we leave the decision regarding organ donation up to the individual or the individual's family. I believe this is unethical.

The importance of respecting the family's wishes (or the individual's) regarding a dead body with usable organs does not outweigh the importance of actually saving the lives of living humans who need those organs. This simple utilitarian argument seems indisputable, at least on utilitarian grounds.

Let's say you aren't a utilitarian, however. It seems the main argument one might make against my reasoning is that the individual or the family have some sort of "ownership" of the organs, at least in the sense that they should be able to dictate what happens to them. But I don't think this is true. First, let's start with the individual. That individual no longer exists. It doesn't seem cogent to say that a person who no longer exists owns his or her organs. A dead person doesn't own anything. I also think it's very problematic to say that the family owns the organs. We don't recognize any sort of familial ownership of organs during life, so why does this suddenly begin at death?

It seems to me that compulsory organ donation would clearly save lives, and this benefit outweighs any harm that might be caused by denying family members the right to reject such donations. I can't see why we don't currently require organ donation in all cases in which the organs are viable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 01:58 PM

172 posts, read 107,840 times
What happens to a person's organs after passing is not a concern of you or society.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COJeff View Post
What happens to a person's organs after passing is not a concern of you or society.
I think it is because they have the potential to save many lives.

If they aren't a concert of mine or society's, whose "concern" are they? The individual doesn't exist anymore. Why should a family be able to prevent a person from having a life saving transplant simply because they want their dead relative to be buried with perfectly functional organs?

Old 06-29-2018, 02:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Mandatory, no. A person has the right to their own body, even after death.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:24 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
No - not compulsory....but I would go for donation being the default. You should be made aware when you get/renew your driver's license that you by default are approving that you are a donor and that you must say otherwise if you don't want to.

You do know that family can trump that decision though - that often happens on the deathbed.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
How does a person who doesn't even exist have rights?

Rights stem from having interests. Interests stem from one's potential for good experiences and bad experiences. I have rights because there are things you could do to me that would make my life go badly. Dead people have no interests because they have no experiences. You can't do anything to a dead body that will make it have good experiences or bad experiences.

To say that a dead body has rights is as silly as saying a rock or a pile of soil has rights. All of those things are nothing more than a collection of matter.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
No - not compulsory....but I would go for donation being the default. You should be made aware when you get/renew your driver's license that you by default are approving that you are a donor and that you must say otherwise if you don't want to.

You do know that family can trump that decision though - that often happens on the deathbed.
Why should it not be compulsory? What do you think is more important: A dead person's wishes about their body (after death) are respected, or a living person gets to live rather than die because they receive a transplant?

Old 06-29-2018, 02:30 PM

50,776 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
This is the best way to state it.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:31 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COJeff View Post
Quite right and succinct as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I think it is because they have the potential to save many lives.

If they aren't a concert of mine or society's, whose "concern" are they? The individual doesn't exist anymore. Why should a family be able to prevent a person from having a life saving transplant simply because they want their dead relative to be buried with perfectly functional organs?
Please.Stop.

We, the people, have enough "compulsory" in our every single daily lives, far too many to elaborate on.

Down our throats and up our nether regions.

No, absolutely not. My body while I am alive and my body to dictate as I please after I am no longer on this earthly plane.

However, I will say great thread for stirring controversy, if it comes to that.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:35 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,894,388 times
I think that the term 'mandatory' would turn people off.

Ideally, it would be nice to see organ donation as the default for everyone with an option to opt out if they have an objection to it. I think that it would go a long way towards helping with the serious shortage of donor organs that are needed.

Organ donation is generally accepted by the majority of religions and honestly, I don't care what they take after I'm dead if it can help someone else out.

When I was 18, a friend of mine was killed in a motorcycle accident She had indicated that she wanted to be an organ donor and her mother gave permission. Multiple individuals received organs. My friend's mother got to meet a couple of the organ recipients and while it didn't get rid of the grief of losing her daughter she grew very close to one of the recipients and ended up taking her on as a foster then adopting her.

I know that's not the usual way it goes but still there are many good reasons to donate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates