Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 11:07 PM

5,828 posts, read 4,168,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Nothing we can do, unless we want radical, unwanted change. The left (and their useful idiots, like the woman who climbed Lady liberty) are just smart enough to know that high profile stunts like that will result in the public being bothered by the stunt, but all will go well for the protester due to our laws.

I have spent time in Kinshahsha, DRC (where the protester is from). She would have been sniped off her perch by a (likely drunken) soldier at the first convenience, if they bothered she was worth the bullet.
1. Do you think that insulting the intelligence of those you disagree with politically will lead to productive conversations? I am extremely liberal, but I am not under the delusion that conservatives or stupid or that people on the right are only on the right because they aren't smart.

2. I'm not sure what your implication is regarding how she would have been treated in the DRC. Do you think we should change our laws to shoot people in this situation? Isn't it a good thing that our laws don't permit our soldiers to drunkenly shoot people who do things like climb the statue of liberty?

Old 07-07-2018, 11:08 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,989,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, just to play devil's advocate, do you think that message might mean something "well worth protesting" to some people?
What, the "White Supremecy is Terrorism" message?

Lol, thats just an angry, extremely dense, lefty mantra, the culmination by manipulations of some white progressives in power, simply to foment anger, ( these white progressives rarely being the point of focused anger in such messages, except by a very few truly "woke" POC....)

Not a treason worthy ( or even protest worthy) cause as it directed...

Last edited by snebarekim; 07-07-2018 at 11:40 PM..

Old 07-07-2018, 11:20 PM

50,784 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
What, the "White Supremecy is Terrorism" message?

Lol, thats just an angry, extremely dense, lefty mantra, the culmination of manipulations of some white progressives in power, simply to foment anger, ( these white progressives rarely being the point of focused anger in such messages, except by a very few truly "woke" POC....)

Not a treason worthy ( or even protest worthy) cause as it directed...
So I can only assume by that ramble that there is nothing you would consider important enough to you to protest against.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
1. Do you think that insulting the intelligence of those you disagree with politically will lead to productive conversations? I am extremely liberal, but I am not under the delusion that conservatives or stupid or that people on the right are only on the right because they aren't smart.
Great! Try to see beyond your own views! But calling yourself "extremely liberal" certianly isnt selling me on your open minded positions. I have found those that claim to be "extremely liberal" to be anything but open minded, in my 56 years on earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
2. I'm not sure what your implication is regarding how she would have been treated in the DRC. Do you think we should change our laws to shoot people in this situation? Isn't it a good thing that our laws don't permit our soldiers to drunkenly shoot people who do things like climb the statue of liberty?
Heck no, we should not change our laws so we could legally shoot non violent protesters like Therese Okoumou. Her actions should be addressed in court (as they currently are it seems....).

My point about the DRC is that she came to America, and seems to be brain washed into the "extremely liberal" point of view that inspired her into pulling a stunt like she did, her postion being "OMG-White Supremacy!" as a worthy cause.

In the DRC she would have certianly been squished like a cockroach for being inconvenient to whatever black kleptocratic dictator happened to be in charge ( currently Joseph Kabila-3.0)

Last edited by snebarekim; 07-07-2018 at 11:39 PM..

Old 07-07-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
So I can only assume by that ramble that there is nothing you would consider important enough to you to protest against.
Ramble?

There is plenty I would find worthy of protesting about, and have actually done so in the past. (If you have a CNN feed in your home, you may have seen me on your teevee at some point a few years back....I even had a speaking part. I was not pictured sympathetically, it being CNN and all) It is the things worthy of protesting that seems to be the point of contention here........

As an aside, assuming makes an "ass out of you, and .......... well you again it seems in this case."

Old 07-07-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Ramble?

There is plenty I would find worthy of protesting about, and have actually done so in the past. (If you have a CNN feed in your home, you may have seen me on your teevee at some point a few years back....I even had a speaking part. I was not pictured sympathetically, it being CNN and all) It is the things worthy of protesting that seems to be the point of contention here........

As an aside, assuming makes an "ass out of you, and .......... well you again it seems in this case."
You know, that old "assume" line is old, old, old, and stupid.

Whatever it was that you protested for was not worthy of protest.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:

Whatever it was that you protested for was not worthy of protest.
Not so sure. Things went the way I had wished they did at the time.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDona...ity_of_Chicago

Old 07-08-2018, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Not so sure. Things went the way I had wished they did at the time.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDona...ity_of_Chicago
You're missing my point.

You think what you protested for was important. Others disagree. Your voice is no more important...your political viewpoints no more important...your vote is no more important than any other American.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:19 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
Has anything productive ever come from protesting?
It seems like it just creates division, discontent, and civil disruption. Everything from protest that turn into riots, Charlottesville, the Westboro Baptist Church, etc. It seems like more bad than good comes out of it.
In the end laws are changed because the Supreme Court either weighs in or elected officials get replaced and changes them. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything change because of a protest. I’d be totally fine if they just scrubbed freedom of assembly from the Constitution.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:06 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,215,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Has anything productive ever come from protesting?
It seems like it just creates division, discontent, and civil disruption. Everything from protest that turn into riots, Charlottesville, the Westboro Baptist Church, etc. It seems like more bad than good comes out of it.
In the end laws are changed because the Supreme Court either weighs in or elected officials get replaced and changes them. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything change because of a protest. I’d be totally fine if they just scrubbed freedom of assembly from the Constitution.

Yes there has been amazing changes from Peaceful protesting and marches.

The greatest examples of course is how Gandhi was able to challenge the British Empire through peaceful marches, sit ins and protests to bring about big changes in his country.
Martin Luther King had terrific results for civil rights with his peaceful approach in the face of angry and violent people.

These men knew the path to their goal would be a long and difficult one but they had patience.

People don't have patience today, they have anger.

I can't help but think about the Black Lives Matter movement which started off with great intentions in bringing notice to a real problem. We saw black people marching against Police violence and unfair treatment by them. If you remember it all stemed from the Michael Brown shooting that left some people blaming the cop and many more wondering why Brown didn't just stop and chose to attack instead?

We watched good intentioned BLM marches turn into violent mobs that burned and destroyed public and private property. It is hard to connect with a group and have empathy for them when we are seeing on the news young black men jumping on cop cars, setting fires, throwing rocks through business windows, clashing with the cops and marching down streets chanting things like "pigs in a blanket fry them like bacon" or "what do we want? DEAD COPS! when do we want that? NOW!" disgusting.

I'm starting to wonder if the modern day protester actually know what they are protesting and what they want or if they are just following the crowd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates