Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 01:03 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times

Advertisements

I feel that a lot of people in work places who are behave too dramatically towards other co-workers, are coffee drinkers a lot of the time I find. Like they will drink a lot of coffee.

One co-worker who was a drama queen to everyone and too stressed out and took things out on others, always had a tall extra large coffee with him all the time, throughout the day. He just drinks them steady. But it seems the ones who do drink lots of coffee, are the ones who act more dramatically towards others, probably because of the caffeine, I am guessing.

I feel that if this is the case, then coffee should be banned from workplaces. It may sound harsh, like an infringement on rights of what to do drink, but I feel that if other drugs are banned from work places, that would cause workers to behave dramatically towards others, then why not caffeine as well? Why should it get a pass if it still causes dramatic behavior? I know that there are a lot of drama queens in the workplace that are not heavy caffeine drinkers, but it seems that about maybe 60% of them are, and by controlling the caffeine, those 60% will be more relaxed without that caffeine intake. I got nothing against people drinking drinks with caffeine, I just feel they should do it at home or away from the workplace.

But what do you think?

Old 09-02-2018, 01:11 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
No. Too much micromanaging.

Old 09-02-2018, 02:04 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I feel that a lot of people in work places who are behave too dramatically towards other co-workers, are coffee drinkers a lot of the time I find. Like they will drink a lot of coffee.

One co-worker who was a drama queen to everyone and too stressed out and took things out on others, always had a tall extra large coffee with him all the time, throughout the day. He just drinks them steady. But it seems the ones who do drink lots of coffee, are the ones who act more dramatically towards others, probably because of the caffeine, I am guessing.

I feel that if this is the case, then coffee should be banned from workplaces. It may sound harsh, like an infringement on rights of what to do drink, but I feel that if other drugs are banned from work places, that would cause workers to behave dramatically towards others, then why not caffeine as well? Why should it get a pass if it still causes dramatic behavior? I know that there are a lot of drama queens in the workplace that are not heavy caffeine drinkers, but it seems that about maybe 60% of them are, and by controlling the caffeine, those 60% will be more relaxed without that caffeine intake. I got nothing against people drinking drinks with caffeine, I just feel they should do it at home or away from the workplace.

But what do you think?
Ridiculous. Drama queens are going to find a way to be drama queens no matter what. This is a personal behavioral problem, not a dietary one. Are you going to ban all food and drink? There are many other ingredients that affect our moods and behavior. Protein, carbs, sugars, fat, all affect us during the workday. What about all the OTC medications for allergies, colds, headaches, the usual bothersome problems we medicate? Too much or even too little of many of those can affect some people's behavior temporarily and all are legal to possess.

Personally, I'd have to drink an entire pot of coffee to feel much impact. Don't know why, but it just doesn't do anything for me. I know many other people who feel the same.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-02-2018 at 02:13 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 02:20 PM

No I don't mean ban all food and drink. It's just I saw a lot of drama queens drinking lots of coffee over the years compared to other workers, so I thought maybe there was a connection and the caffeine maybe increasing it. So I thought it could be coffee more so particularly since they drank it a lot.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:54 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
I think that if there were a situation where a vote were taken, they'd rather get rid of you than get rid of coffee.

I've certainly seen "dramatic" people, but I think it's their basic personality, not something that magically appears with their morning coffee. I have no idea of what your workplace may be like, but my jobs have all been office jobs where people routinely have coffee, tea, and caffeinated sodas at their desk.

By the way, most bosses don't want relaxed workers. They want energized workers.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:55 PM

Positive energy is good, negative bad. I just felt that a larger number of the negative energy people drink a lot of coffee, so I thought there was a connection, therefore.

But are sure people just think this is the case, cause we are use to it? For example, if people had been allowed to say... smoke pot in the workplace for the last few hundred years, and it is normal to everyone, and someone said maybe we should prohibit pot from workplaces, cause everyone is too relaxed, and aren't motivated enough or don't care enough, then people would come along and blame the workers, and not the pot; because they are so use to pot being normal that it MUST be the workers.

That is how I feel about caffeine, is that it's so normal to people, that they don't realize the negative behavior it causes, and just blame people over it, instead of the drug.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:15 PM

995 posts, read 509,948 times
How silly to ban caffeine to try and thwart bad behavior. A much better idea is to ban any sort of behavior in the workplace which affects another person's well-being, such as bullying.

If I owned a company, I'd have a strict, non-negotiable policy - no one can treat another co-worker in a negative fashion - everyone has to be kind and polite to each other 100% of the time. (Yes, I do mean 100% - this 99.9% stuff doesn't cut it with me.) Any violation of this policy would be an automatic firing offence.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:19 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
No. You ban the behavior you THINK it is the cause of. Cold medication, etc. isn't banned but if it affects your job performance THEN it's a problem Maybe you need to work on handling drama and not expect others to for you.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:31 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Then you'd have to ban everything containing caffeine, including tea and soda. Even Excedrin contains caffeine.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Absolutely not. In fact, our office of about 400 has 2 coffee stations on each floor, and it’s provided free along with tea, cream and sugar by our employer. Not only does coffee keep people awake and productive, but having it there prevents wasted time going off site to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates