Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 08:46 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I rarely have cash on me. If I do, I’ll give them a few dollars so they can go get their drugs and alcohol.
If you're not being sarcastic, I'm with you... all these folks saying "I don't want to give them money b/c they'll buy drugs & alcohol," while I think "if I were homeless I'd want to be high/drunk too!" Heck, I'll even share a joint if I have one on hand (it's legal here), and used to occasionally get this one local man a beer. So many people like to act superior and preachy, but considering I also indulge in those things, that would make me a hypocrite. This doesn't seem to bother everyone, though.

That being said, with the homeless population here in the Bay Area, I'd go broke if gave them ALL even a quarter! So it's a somewhat rare occasion, but if I'm leaving a store with change in my hand I'll pass it along. What they do with it after that is their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 08:59 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The other was when I gave to a homeless person for food, and walked right into a 7/11 and bought a large bottle of beer.
Did you say "only buy food with this!" or just assume that's what he would get? And why do you care either way? Once you gift someone with money, it shouldn't matter how they choose to spend it... just like giving a friend/relative a check for their birthday, and accepting they might use it for something you wouldn't have chosen yourself. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I even had a person ask for money so he could get a beer and get drunk. Ok...this bender is on me. Don't figure on other one.

HOWEVER, if you are faking it and collecting money in a wheelchair.....well, I would rather see my funds going to a local food bank, taxes for helping the mentally ill, or anything to cut he scammers out of the system.
I'm probably 20x more likely to give someone money if they're HONEST about it, like this one well-known panhandler in San Francisco... he has a sign that says something like "Need $$ for beer, hookers, and pot; hey, at least I'm honest!" I always give him at least a bit of change.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
I give but insures one thing
They will stay on that corner with that cardboard sign
Making bad bearable and acceptable is not charity

Old 09-13-2018, 11:42 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
I will give them money if I have extra at the time. Just a few days ago, there was a guy standing beside the expressway exit ramp with a sign, I gave him a $10 bill. Other times, when Im close to being broke, I cant swing it.

I do not get concerned about what they are going to use it for... they are asking for money...its not my place to start worrying how they will use it...its on them if they use it for things other than food, shelter, etc.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:16 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Did you say "only buy food with this!" or just assume that's what he would get? And why do you care either way? Once you gift someone with money, it shouldn't matter how they choose to spend it... just like giving a friend/relative a check for their birthday, and accepting they might use it for something you wouldn't have chosen yourself. Oh well.

I'm probably 20x more likely to give someone money if they're HONEST about it, like this one well-known panhandler in San Francisco... he has a sign that says something like "Need $$ for beer, hookers, and pot; hey, at least I'm honest!" I always give him at least a bit of change.
He said he needed some money for food.

Why does it matter? I don't drink. Why should I donate money to someone so they can get drunk? If I'm gonna give money to a homeless person, I'd like them to spend it on a necessity.

Are you crazy. A donation for necessities is not the same as a gift.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:18 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
The trouble is that a lot of them are LIARS.

Case in point -- I had hurt my back badly and needed someone to rake leaves. I found a homeless man that had a sign that said "Will work for food". When I offered him the job he told me to f--- off.

Another case in point -- near one of the D.C. subway stations there was a man there everyday with a sign that said his tools had been stolen and he needed money to buy new tools. He was there with that sign every day for 9 YEARS, raking in the money and never buying the tools.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
I ignore them. I'm a tall, broad shouldered guy, so that usually keeps them from pestering me. If it doesn't, I have no problem saying no and sticking with it. There are plenty of soup kitchens and sleep shelters for them. I don't need to provide them with money for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:28 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The trouble is that a lot of them are LIARS.

Another case in point -- near one of the D.C. subway stations there was a man there everyday with a sign that said his tools had been stolen and he needed money to buy new tools. He was there with that sign every day for 9 YEARS, raking in the money and never buying the tools.

Maybe he was saving up for a back hoe or an excavator.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:57 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
I don't give money but I will give groceries when approached in a parking lot after shopping. Sometimes people are grateful and sometimes the person is obviously miffed that I didn't hand them money. Doesn't matter to me. I'll share groceries I just bought, but I don't hand over any cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I ignore them. I'm a tall, broad shouldered guy, so that usually keeps them from pestering me. If it doesn't, I have no problem saying no and sticking with it. There are plenty of soup kitchens and sleep shelters for them. I don't need to provide them with money for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes.
No, there are not. The lack of safe options for the homeless is a national shame.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:51 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I don’t give money to homeless. I have bought some of them meals in the past if they ask or arecsitting in a fast food joint not eating I’ll ask if they’re hungry. Some will take food and be grateful others just want money. I’ve seen homeless guys talking on smart phones smoking cigarettes.
But I do not give them money. At all. Ever.

(I used to when I was younger because I thought I was helping them. As I got older I realized I was enabling them)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates