Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 11:46 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times

Advertisements

When you see a Homeless person, Do you give to them or ignore them?

If so, why do you give to them?

Do you think you made a change?

If not, why do you not give to them?

Do you think that they will just go buy drugs or alcohol?

Go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 01:13 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
9 times out of 10, I don't, for two reasons. I usually don't have money on me. I also don't trust that the money is actually going to food.

The times that I offered to buy the person food, the individual made it clear that they wanted only money and not food.

This isn't to say that some aren't honestly begging for food. But many times, I think they just have an addiction.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:19 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
If the person is obviously handicapped/on crutches/missing limbs, then I definitely give.

Otherwise, I am reluctant to do so.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:22 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
When I lived in Baton Rouge and travel through Pittsburgh I have to ignore them.

A big part of me wants to help but... They could be a scammer, they could be a drug addict, they could be a crazy person, and in Baton Rouge it was actually illegal to give them money.

Plus they always stop traffic and that is actually dangerous.

However, if I meet somebody down on their luck in different circumstances, I tend to help. One time I met a man in east Tennessee who was asking for rides. He was trying to get home to North Carolina, but sadly we were heading to Virginia. I asked him what was wrong, he told me his story, and while we couldn't take him anywhere I at least bought him something to eat. He had nothing in the way of cash. He was genuinely grateful too, so absolutely not a scammer IMO.

Begging at the highway is a good way to make people nervous and ignore you.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:32 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
I rarely have cash on me. If I do, I’ll give them a few dollars so they can go get their drugs and alcohol.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:50 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

A big part of me wants to help but... They could be a scammer, they could be a drug addict, they could be a crazy person, and in Baton Rouge it was actually illegal to give them money.
Emphasis mine. What law prohibits it? I've never heard of this.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:07 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
I neither give to them nor ignore them. I recognize their existence, be humble as to my life and theirs, sympathize with them, and even pray for them.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:48 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
In the USA or Europe I have never given money to a homeless person. Other countries, yes. The simple reason is the fact that anyone can get free food or shelter here if they are sober and willing to go where this is offered.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:17 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
I neither give money nor ignore. If they seem anxious to talk about their problems I offer to tell them about the local resources available to help them. We have many.

Sometimes I've even offered transportation.

I've never had anyone interested in all these years so go figure.

I know the local beggars where I stay in Mexico in the Winter and know which ones can use some help. Those I give a few pesos to since there is nearly nothing in the way of human services there.

And sometimes I give to the kids who beg in front of the ice cream shop just for the fun of it. But first I tell them they have to earn it. Then I ask if they can sing or dance or do a magic trick, whatever. This often turns into a fun time and sometimes draws more contributors for them.

I know the locals really frown on giving to the beggars because they think if it's encouraged it will drive away customers. But now and then I just can't resist.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:57 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
When you see a Homeless person, Do you give to them or ignore them?

If so, why do you give to them?

Do you think you made a change?

If not, why do you not give to them?

Do you think that they will just go buy drugs or alcohol?

Go!
I don’t give them anything. I used to, but one day I followed a guy around the block to see him get in an Escalade and I said never again! Yes, I know,that was an isolated incident and does not give a true representation of the homeless.

Where I live now there is a great place where any homeless person can go and get a free meal three times a day, get a shower, and get clean clothes. Also, this place actually takes meals to any homeless camp they are made aware of. Did I mention it’s all free?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates