Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 04:06 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
But... that changes the entire tone and context of the discussion. Right?

Perhaps. But this is hardly a 'great debate' topic.
Try the education or psychology sub forums.
This is, in my view, a topic suitable for great debate because it is really based on humanity and federal law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 04:39 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is, in my view, a topic suitable for great debate because...
Meh. There's too many nowhere to go topics as it is.

Quote:
...it is really based on humanity and federal law.
Well, Federal funding at least because no one really argues against the humanity.
Maybe it should be moved to the P&OC forum?

Old 09-29-2018, 06:25 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Meh. There's too many nowhere to go topics as it is.

We are each free to participate in a particular thread or not.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:43 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I think society expects these people to fit in way too hard, instead of helping them their communication skills.
The only people that have difficulty communicating are the deaf. I communicate just fine with the retarded kid who bags my groceries at Kroger's.

Quote:
I think these people are ultimately outsiders, we have different mindsets when compared to the rest of society...
The inability or lack of desire to communicate is not inherently a mental defect nor a learning disability.

The fact that you might have a different mindset is your problem, not mine.

You need to get with the program, not me.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:35 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Quote:
I think society expects these people to fit in way too hard, instead of helping them their communication skills.

I think these people are ultimately outsiders, we have different mindsets when compared to the rest of society...

Now I am not saying we should too lenient to the point where we even want to justify murder, but let's try to remember it wasn't the person's intended purpose.
murder usually IS intended...thus it's called murder.

I see many disabled people...mentally and physically....I don't see that society "expects these people to fit in way too hard" at all.
I see disabled people given FAR FAR more curtesies than to any able bodied person I know.
Most good people are considerate of their disability.
Mean people, who expect too much..are the same with everyone...disabled (or learning impaired etc )or not.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:24 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Do you realize that even people with high IQs can have learning differences and/or need speech therapy? There are lots of bright people with advanced degrees and upper level jobs, who have learning differences. That is why we fund special education programs in public schools. It benefits all children.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:11 PM

24,605 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Society does a lot for the psychical or mentally disabled. Federal laws require all kids of handicapped parking lot spots, wheelchair accessible ramps, equal opportunity employment, push-to-open doors, braille, special education classes, etc.

The issues is what to do with the violent mentally ill. The ones who get weapons and harm themelsevs and others. Society can definitely do a lot more to protect these people and society at larger.

If you're a violently mentally ill person, your family will call the police on you, and the cops show up to shoot you to death. That's how America deals with the violently mentally ill in society and it's wrong. A lot of people who are locked are also mentally ill, we don't rehabilitate them, we just punish them.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:29 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,597,197 times
I think Luciano's talking about social attitudes more than laws.

For all our progress made in treatment of other races, religions, genders, and orientations, there's still a lot of frankly petty distaste toward people who for some reason are socially clumsy. It's as if being unintentionally irritating and annoying is a license to treat such people in ways that - had that attitude been directed against the most oft-known diversity categories - would instantly be considered bigotry. In that case, orientation and gender identification are both, broadly speaking, different mindsets - intrinsic differences of sexual attraction and self-identity. If it's unacceptable to look down on people with those kinds of mental differences, then why is it right to look down on people with differences in other kinds of mental functioning? If you say "LGBT are not annoying, socially clueless people are", then I say that 30 years ago LGBT were considered annoying (and worse!). Annoyance at that kind of difference wasn't a good excuse then, and annoyances aren't good excuses toward other kinds of annoyances now.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:31 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,718,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
I think Luciano's talking about social attitudes more than laws.

For all our progress made in treatment of other races, religions, genders, and orientations, there's still a lot of frankly petty distaste toward people who for some reason are socially clumsy. It's as if being unintentionally irritating and annoying is a license to treat such people in ways that - had that attitude been directed against the most oft-known diversity categories - would instantly be considered bigotry. In that case, orientation and gender identification are both, broadly speaking, different mindsets - intrinsic differences of sexual attraction and self-identity. If it's unacceptable to look down on people with those kinds of mental differences, then why is it right to look down on people with differences in other kinds of mental functioning? If you say "LGBT are not annoying, socially clueless people are", then I say that 30 years ago LGBT were considered annoying (and worse!). Annoyance at that kind of difference wasn't a good excuse then, and annoyances aren't good excuses toward other kinds of annoyances now.
Yeah pretty much the point I am trying to make here, acting inept shouldn't be too much of a deal...

Old 10-09-2018, 11:57 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,718,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Do you realize that even people with high IQs can have learning differences and/or need speech therapy? There are lots of bright people with advanced degrees and upper level jobs, who have learning differences. That is why we fund special education programs in public schools. It benefits all children.
I heard Obama basically spent the most on special ed programs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates